Drawing them back- former saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Drawing them back- former saints

RHYS: I get asked a lot having played for two clubs, what do you consider yourself as, a Carlton person or a St Kilda person?
RICE: I barracked for St Kilda as a kid. But I think you remember the last part of your career and I had a bit of success at Carlton and they always stayed in contact and invited me to things. I’m a life member at Carlton. I’ve had a bit of correspondence from St Kilda, but more from Carlton. I’d love to get back and be a part of St Kilda, but I find myself more of a Carlton person at this point
part of interview with Dean Rice from
http://insidefootballonline.com/rhysjones.html

It would be hoped that the Clubs new program of Player recognition-each week they do a few more ex Saints- will aid in helping make them feel welcome back-

I applaud the club for beginning the process-
with the Hall of Fame coming up there will be One more Legend and some new (6?) inductees
and Bakes will be awarded his Life membership.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Drawing them back- former saints

saintbrat wrote:I applaud the club for beginning the process-
with the Hall of Fame coming up there will be One more Legend and some new (6?) inductees
I think the Hall of Fame concept does not recognise enough former players.

I would like to see a further number of players nominated for Meritorious Service. 66 would be a nice number to start with.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
bozza1980
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:

I would like to see a further number of players nominated for Meritorious Service. 66 would be a nice number to start with.
Apart from the Hall of Fame there doesn't appear to be an awful lot of work done in recognising our past or the players/officials that represented the club previously.

Rice is now the second former Saint I've heard this year regard himself as a blue rather than a Saint and it's not good.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Apart from the Hall of Fame there doesn't appear to be an awful lot of work done in recognising our past or the players/officials that represented the club previously.

Rice is now the second former Saint I've heard this year regard himself as a blue rather than a Saint and it's not good.
the club are this year recognising ALL Saints who have played with St Kilda
generally at the Match day Functions- including in WA-
http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

re regarding themselves as players from other clubs- as someone pointed out Luke Ball will possibly go down as a magpie player if that is indeed his last club-
but there would be many ex players from each club who end up being known for their 'last club played' not their first or longest.
I have only heard of one other...

as Rice himself says- he played in Finals with the blues- that in itself would create a strong emotional link. I was pleased to actually read that he Wanted to have more contact.

Not saying it shouldn't be more of/ is long overdue BUT they are trying..
it's hard when there is limited opportunity for " Grand final reunions"
and there have been a limited number of 100 game players till recent years
the revolving door of team members/coaches would make it hard to connect strongly.
http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/def ... wsid=91885
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 08 Jul 2010 2:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
howlinwolf
Club Player

I reckon Matthew Lappin is another that considers himself a Blue.

It would be interesting to know what other players thought ?
And that goes the reverse way as well.
Obviously our limited success and turnover of staff in these periods is the key factor.

Val Perovic, Warren Jones,Damian Monkhorst, Russell Greene, The Wakelins, Rex Hunt,Robert Neale probably don't consider themselves Saints.

Plugger,Nicky Winmar,Ian Stewart and Carl Diettrich probably would.

Of the current players, I would think Farren Ray considers himself a Saint.
Steven King and Adam Schnieder ? Not sure ? Those premierships would count for
something.

For those that don't consider themselves Saints it's disappointing but our current
professionalism and hopefully ultimate success could change things in coming
years. And Ross bringing others in would have a lot to do with that.

Our Club is one to be proud of now.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Matthew Lappin should stay a Blue. Cost us the 97 GF by refusing to be accountable on McLeod, then buggered off...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Moods
Saintsational Legend

One of the most disappointing things I ever read was that Hamill considered himself a blue. Still can't believe it.

bozza1980
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

the club are this year recognising ALL Saints who have played with St Kilda
generally at the Match day Functions- including in WA-
http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

re regarding themselves as players from other clubs- as someone pointed out Luke Ball will possibly go down as a magpie player if that is indeed his last club-
but there would be many ex players from each club who end up being known for their 'last club played' not their first or longest.
I have only heard of one other...

as Rice himself says- he played in Finals with the blues- that in itself would create a strong emotional link. I was pleased to actually read that he Wanted to have more contact.

Not saying it shouldn't be more of/ is long overdue BUT they are trying..
it's hard when there is limited opportunity for " Grand final reunions"
and there have been a limited number of 100 game players till recent years
the revolving door of team members/coaches would make it hard to connect strongly.
http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/def ... wsid=91885
True.

It is good to hear that steps are being made to rectify this.

I did feel the same with his comments of wanting more contact, especially when doubled with his suggestion that is Carlton's contact that helped him feel a Blue. So you could argue by extension, that deep down he is a saint and a bit more love from the club would bring this out.

I was probably more disapointed when I read that Hammil considered himself a blue, maybe it speaks of his professionalism but he definitely spilt blood and appeared to be a saint man through and through when he played.

I do have a feeling, barring a premiership at Collingwood, Bally in retirement will see himself a Sainter.

At the end of the day, which club a player aligns himself with is obviously a personal decision, it would just be nice if more thought that red black and white blood went through their veins.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Matthew Lappin should stay a Blue. Cost us the 97 GF by refusing to be accountable on McLeod, then buggered off...
I wonder if the Blues consider him a Blue...he did spill the beans on their tanking after all. He was only at the Saints for a few years regardless, did some good stuff (as well as crap), can barely remember him in a Saints jumper.

bozza1980
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:Matthew Lappin should stay a Blue. Cost us the 97 GF by refusing to be accountable on McLeod, then buggered off...
I wonder if the Blues consider him a Blue...he did spill the beans on their tanking after all. He was only at the Saints for a few years regardless, did some good stuff (as well as crap), can barely remember him in a Saints jumper.
I remember his last game against the Dees in the 98 Semi Final, it was probably his best game for the club in a game that we got belted in, which was hard to cop, after giving the dees an 80+ point hiding during the season.

He's a blue.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
degruch wrote:
I remember his last game against the Dees in the 98 Semi Final, it was probably his best game for the club in a game that we got belted in, which was hard to cop, after giving the dees an 80+ point hiding during the season.

He's a blue.
Urgh. I remember THAT. Couldn't believe we lost to the Demons. Bad memories flooding back now. Matty may well be a player without a home.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:[

I was probably more disapointed when I read that Hammil considered himself a blue, maybe it speaks of his professionalism but he definitely spilt blood and appeared to be a saint man through and through when he played.

would be interesting in the 'long' term rather than the '2 year' to hear from him again
his connection with Roo and Fraser seemed strong...
But his reasons for leaving Carlton and the ending of his career/his feelings for the club are both highly emotional and appear more in relation to 'off Field' issues- personal- rather than football.
in the end his body let him down- but where the cause for that was is probably convoluted but clouding his emotional responses.

many players seem to actually go further back and claim their junior or early years teams as their home- ie even with Richo and tassie. which may just be a reflection on how connected they felt as young footballers, as opposed to how disconnected they may have felt in " the big league".

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bozza1980
Club Player

saintbrat wrote: many players seem to actually go further back and claim their junior or early years teams as their home- ie even with Richo and tassie. which may just be a reflection on how connected they felt as young footballers, as opposed to how disconnected they may have felt in " the big league".
True again.

It would be hard to fully wipe out a life long passion after a few years.

I remember reading the story in the paper following our signing of Stevie Lawrence relating the story of him listening, whilst still a Brisbane Lion, to our 2000 win over Geelong or Port Adelaide on the radio and jumping out of his skin as we got over the line.

Q5
Club Player

Shane Wakelin was recently asked whilst commentating on SEN whether he considered himself a pie or saint - maggie... :evil:

mick13
Club Player

Schneider will consider himself a Saint if he wins a flag with us. It's only cos he won a flag with Sydney that they will stick with him. Probs same with Dempster, unless he reckons his career was over if he stayed at Sydney.

King will always been a Cat, would be been interesting if we got over the line against them last year where his allegiances would stand.

Schillaci
Club Player

Very interesting thread.
Find it amazing that Hamill considers himself a Blue?
And that Plugger would consider himself a Saint.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Russell Morris is definately a Saint

Apart frrom his part employment at the Club, he wore Saints socks often during his boundary rider stints with Ch 7

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Q5 wrote:Shane Wakelin was recently asked whilst commentating on SEN whether he considered himself a pie or saint - maggie... :evil:
Some tough examples here...

Wakelin was DELISTED by us before being given a second chance with Collingwood and saving his career. Darryl was returning home to Adelaide...

Dean Rice played some reasonable footy for us but was cruelled with injury and his luck only turned when he joined Carlton. He's completely Blue to me.

Matthew Lappin was a lazy-but-talented, stick-thin midfielder with us who looked like a drug addict and often played like one (in between spurts of brilliance). He put it all together at Carlton and really is one of theirs.

Aaron Hamill is a curious one. He loved Carlton and didn't want to leave, but they wanted cap space and good picks, whilst we wanted a ready-made forward. Can understand how he is torn. Played some great footy at both clubs, perhaps 'feels' more Carlton because he was able to deliver a lot for them. He wanted to deliver so badly for us, and did to a degree, but could have given a lot more. Tragic to see him retire when he did.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Five years a Saint 1994 - 1998.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintnick12
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Q5 wrote:Shane Wakelin was recently asked whilst commentating on SEN whether he considered himself a pie or saint - maggie... :evil:

Wakelin was DELISTED by us before being given a second chance with Collingwood and saving his career. Darryl was returning home to Adelaide...

Dean Rice played some reasonable footy for us but was cruelled with injury and his luck only turned when he joined Carlton. He's completely Blue to me.

Matthew Lappin was a lazy-but-talented, stick-thin midfielder with us who looked like a drug addict and often played like one (in between spurts of brilliance). He put it all together at Carlton and really is one of theirs.

Aaron Hamill is a curious one. He loved Carlton and didn't want to leave, but they wanted cap space and good picks, whilst we wanted a ready-made forward. Can understand how he is torn. Played some great footy at both clubs, perhaps 'feels' more Carlton because he was able to deliver a lot for them. He wanted to deliver so badly for us, and did to a degree, but could have given a lot more. Tragic to see him retire when he did.
Totally agree re Shane Wakelin. We delisted him, yet he went on to be a key player for them and play in 2 grandfinal teams, though losing ones. He played a lot more games for them too and watch a much more respected player in his time there. It is hardly surprising that he would say he's a pies man.
The Hamill one is disappointing.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hamill was captain of St Kilda and played 100 games.

If he thinks he's a Blue with 92 games good luck to him. His male progeny can be drafted by the Saints not the Blues.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hamill was captain of St Kilda and played 100 games.

If he thinks he's a Blue with 92 games good luck to him. His male progeny can be drafted by the Saints not the Blues.
I wish- only got to 99 Same as Matty M

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Hamill was captain of St Kilda and played 100 games.

I wish- only got to 99 Same as Matty M
Further investigation says 98 games. Who cares he now builds swimming pools. I use the bay.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I get really dissapointed with former players swearing allegiance to the 'other' club after leaving the Saints.

However, despite being a Bulldog at the end of his career, l'm pretty certain that Nicky Winmar will forever be ours.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Q5
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:

I'd actually forgotten the Wakelins were delisted but now it all comes screaming back - I remember being disappointed about it at the time. Gotta say, have enjoyed listening to their contributions to commentary on radio though.