And Patrick Smith!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

And Patrick Smith!

Village idiots of the AFL are remade

* Patrick Smith
* July 06, 2010 12:00AM

A MARK of a good sporting club is not so much what happens to it but how the changed circumstances are handled.

The reaction to a crisis, mini or major, is an accurate eye on any club's culture and soul.....

St Kilda was plodding about as aimlessly as the old Richmond before coach Ross Lyon arrived at the club. He has now been joined by chief executive Michael Nettlefold and the pair continue to remake the ratbag of a club.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5888241328

suss
Club Player

I like the bit about disregarding the nonsense. Nice work Patrick. :roll:

ThePunter
Club Player

An article you need to keep reading, but as we have always known, Smith has his favourites, and it's not pleasant to not be one of them (see Thomas, G & Watson, T.)

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

What - no credit to the players ?

It's the players (and therefore the recruiters to a large extent) that make the coach and the team managers look good and bring about team success and the winning culture.

backit
Club Player

A great article from Patrick Smith whether you love him or hate him, it was good to read an article that was not a piece of sensational garbage that most hack journo's are subscribing to writing these days.

Saints43
Club Player

Patrick Smith wrote:What do you think about Jarryn Geary? More to the point what do you know about Geary? Toss in Andrew McQualter, Sean Dempster, Adam Pattison and Jack Steven. When thinking of players who can take a side to an AFL grand-final win they are - let's be brutal - no-names. They are not on anybody's must-get list.
And then goes on to say that the players mentioned above played against Melbourne last Sunday. We could have lost by a thousand points to Melbourne and it probably wouldn't have any effect on our ability to make a grand final.

Just because PS hasn't heard of Steven, McQualter & Geary doesn't make their playing in a home & away win against a bottom club incredible.

This bloke has filled miles of easy copy kicking this club when it was down. Accepting his praise is like shaking hands with a bloke who is kicking you in the nuts.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

backit wrote:A great article from Patrick Smith whether you love him or hate him, it was good to read an article that was not a piece of sensational garbage that most hack journo's are subscribing to writing these days.
'a great article'??

Jesus.

Firstly, it's not an article - it's an opinion piece. An opinion from a man who makes it a habit of being completely and utterly wrong.

Secondly, how is it 'great'?

bozza1980
Club Player

Patrick Smith wrote:What do you think about Jarryn Geary? More to the point what do you know about Geary? Toss in Andrew McQualter, Sean Dempster, Adam Pattison and Jack Steven. When thinking of players who can take a side to an AFL grand-final win they are - let's be brutal - no-names. They are not on anybody's must-get list.
I'm suprised he's dropped Dempster in that list, yes, not a superstar, but for a bounce of the ball here or there could have had another 2 premiership medals next the one he already posseses.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
backit
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
backit wrote:A great article from Patrick Smith whether you love him or hate him, it was good to read an article that was not a piece of sensational garbage that most hack journo's are subscribing to writing these days.
'a great article'??

Jesus.

Firstly, it's not an article - it's an opinion piece. An opinion from a man who makes it a habit of being completely and utterly wrong.

Sorry yes it is an opinion piece, I liked the article because it talks of our club being professional and moving forward. My read might be different from yours and I don't live in the past but look to the future and see our club heading in the right direction after years of lack of effective leadership, money problems, club personnel, infighting, poor recruiting decisions and much more. We all have opinions I liked what was written, as I said you can either love or hate the journalist, I personally don't particulary like him the majority of the time but didn't mind this opinion piece.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

backit wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
'a great article'??

Jesus.

Sorry yes it is an opinion piece, I liked the article because it talks of our club being professional and moving forward. My read might be different from yours and I don't live in the past but look to the future and see our club heading in the right direction after years of lack of effective leadership, money problems, club personnel, infighting, poor recruiting decisions and much more. We all have opinions I liked what was written, as I said you can either love or hate the journalist, I personally don't particulary like him the majority of the time but didn't mind this opinion piece.
Have got to agree, he sums it up pretty well

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

What a d**khead Fatpryk is. He writes for a paper NO ONE reads. hahaha.

"ratbag" of a club? Yeah whatever, go and have another donut and write your next article for your nothing newspaper. Btw, I didnt read the article, I refuse to waste my time on his tripe.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I must admit it is a very good article and an accurate reflection of where this club is at.

Don't know why anyone would knock the article.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I wont knock the article.

But I will call Patrick Smith a Douche Bag.

I betcha he sweats when he eats.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
I have called Fatpryk "ALL-BRAN" for a few years now

and we all know what All-Bran does for you :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i have always called him showbags......full of s***......or fatprick smith......both are apt imhfo......ratbag club my arse.....that's defamation of the foulest kind....and is actionable...... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
'a great article'??

Jesus.

So you reckon horse 'jumps' is a valid sporting endeavour?

You reckon Grant Thomas-speak DIDN'T deserve to be challenged?

You reckon Malthouse's/Collingwood's/Maguire's theft of all things Anzac for marketing purposes is quite okay?

That petulant tennis stars and their pushy parents shouldn't be shitcanned?

That Australian Soccer isn't an overblown charade?

That diving in soccer isn't a blight on sport?

You reckon the whole Cousins/drugs in sport thing didn't deserve a sensible journalistic mouthpiece?

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Smith has been right plenty over the years. Gawd, he and Baum are about the only true journo's left...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Smith has been right plenty over the years. Gawd, he and Baum are about the only true journo's left...

gawd....then there is no hope for us......burn all the newspaper offices down.... :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Thinline wrote:

gawd....then there is no hope for us......burn all the newspaper offices down.... :wink:
I'm not suggesting you have to agree with him.

But his opinions on the whole are well considered, well presented and researched.

Put it this way: Smith was one of the only columnists/journalists NOT to express a view about both the revival of the Milne/Joey claims and the whole 'pregnant schoolgirl' saga.

Why? Because his targets are legitimate.

Like I said, you don't have to agree, but surely some credit is due.

Besides all that I reckon his general crankiness is funny.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
bigred wrote:

Helps you maintain a regular digestive health, which we all should strive for.

I'm amazed nobody's got stuck into Lloydy for his very accurate item on Kosi in the Age on the weekend.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Eastern wrote:
bigred wrote:

Helps you maintain a regular digestive health, which we all should strive for.

I'm amazed nobody's got stuck into Lloydy for his very accurate item on Kosi in the Age on the weekend.

thought it was a fair article actually......pity he was one of the few pple in melbourne who hadn't woken up to the fact that kosi could hardly walk and was never going to play....but then llyody is not know for his high i q.........

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

Why? Because his targets are legitimate.

Besides all that I reckon his general crankiness is funny.
sometimes.....

and

sometimes....

:wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
'a great article'??

Jesus.

You reckon Malthouse's/Collingwood's/Maguire's theft of all things Anzac for marketing purposes is quite okay?

You reckon the whole Cousins/drugs in sport thing didn't deserve a sensible journalistic mouthpiece?

I personally know a journalist from The Australian. And apparently Smith is a reasonable guy, who is "very well informed".
Thinline wrote:

I find jumps racing boring, and don't bet on it although I love regular horse racing.
But, that doesn't mean that the millions of people worldwide who love it are wrong.
It doesn't mean that the people who spend their lives trying to make a living out of it are wrong.

And this is the issue with Smith. He may be a "well informed" writer, and a "reasonable guy" - but once his pen hits paper he becomes a dick head because like Stan Zemanic and Neil Mitchell and these other woeful humans, he can't see or acknowledge other views. He sees only black and white. And once he's picked a side of the fence to stand on, he goes about expressing his views by attacking and denegrating those on the other side of the fence.

This makes him an ordinary human in my book.

Worth noting also, that he loathed Grant Thomas and took his smear campaign to disgustingly low and personal levels.

Then we started winning against the odds.

Eventually, he declared Thomas a hero and even Coach of the Year.

12 months later Thomas got the arrse. Nice work Patrick.

Bags him, and within 2 seasons he becomes 'coach of the year'. Start wrapping him up, and within 12 months he's been sacked. He gets it wrong so many times it's not funny.

To declare Australian Soccer an 'overblown charade' is a perfect example of his lack of respect for other's views.
He doesn't have to like soccer, but to mock it an those who love it without any regard for their views, isn't great journalism.
It's ignorant, rude, crasse and a disgrace to the field of 'journalism'.

In this instance, again he's way off the mark.

We've been in the black financially for nearly a decade now, played finals for 5 of the past 6 years, changed boards seamlessly, swapped coaches and within 1 year were again featuring in September - yet this glorified talk-back radio host declares that we were a joke until Ross Lyon and Nettlefold came in???

He's wrong. We've been on the way up on and off field for 10 years. As soon as there appeared to be a dip in this upward trend, the club addressed it brilliantly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Without reading the article, I'm surprised the club was "plodding about as aimlessly as the old Richmond", without me noticing. Prior to Lyon arriving, regardless of RL v GT love, St Kilda had been prominant in several finals campaigns and had recruited a very talented team. Had more attention been paid to player conditioning (something all clubs are more in tune with now) we'd have plodded about a couple premierships in the lead up to RL's appointment IMO.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
'a great article'??

Jesus.

I personally know a journalist from The Australian. And apparently Smith is a reasonable guy, who is "very well informed".
Thinline wrote:

I find jumps racing boring, and don't bet on it although I love regular horse racing.
But, that doesn't mean that the millions of people worldwide who love it are wrong.
It doesn't mean that the people who spend their lives trying to make a living out of it are wrong.

And this is the issue with Smith. He may be a "well informed" writer, and a "reasonable guy" - but once his pen hits paper he becomes a dick head because like Stan Zemanic and Neil Mitchell and these other woeful humans, he can't see or acknowledge other views. He sees only black and white. And once he's picked a side of the fence to stand on, he goes about expressing his views by attacking and denegrating those on the other side of the fence.

This makes him an ordinary human in my book.

Worth noting also, that he loathed Grant Thomas and took his smear campaign to disgustingly low and personal levels.

Then we started winning against the odds.

Eventually, he declared Thomas a hero and even Coach of the Year.

12 months later Thomas got the arrse. Nice work Patrick.

Bags him, and within 2 seasons he becomes 'coach of the year'. Start wrapping him up, and within 12 months he's been sacked. He gets it wrong so many times it's not funny.

To declare Australian Soccer an 'overblown charade' is a perfect example of his lack of respect for other's views.
He doesn't have to like soccer, but to mock it an those who love it without any regard for their views, isn't great journalism.
It's ignorant, rude, crasse and a disgrace to the field of 'journalism'.

In this instance, again he's way off the mark.

We've been in the black financially for nearly a decade now, played finals for 5 of the past 6 years, changed boards seamlessly, swapped coaches and within 1 year were again featuring in September - yet this glorified talk-back radio host declares that we were a joke until Ross Lyon and Nettlefold came in???

He's wrong. We've been on the way up on and off field for 10 years. As soon as there appeared to be a dip in this upward trend, the club addressed it brilliantly.
Hey, you feel strongly about a Smith target.

Looks like Smith provoked a reaction.

Seems to me he's doing his job.

I don't really like lawyers much, but I acknowledge that some are good at what they do...

We don't have to agree, Rodger. One of the great human virtues.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:[

I don't really like lawyers much, but I acknowledge that some are good at what they do...

...more than just some ffs.......but then.....some are hopeless.......a couple may be even dishonest.......just like every other profession......but then a hopeless lawyer will not kill you....unlike a hopeless doctor...