Will they fight it further??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainterman
Club Player

Will they fight it further??

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

Statement just released.

Why am I doubtful??

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No they won't take it further.

They are not that stupid surely!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will they fight it further??

St Kilda Football Club and Steven Baker are extremely disappointed with the extent of penalties that have been imposed upon him.

On any measure for what has been confirmed as four low impact incidents by the Tribunal, it is a most significant and extreme impost on Steven and the Club.

In terms of any further action the Club may take, the St Kilda Football Club Board will now consider its position and will not be making any further comment at this stage.
i cannot wait to see what happens when someone really gets hurt. season and life bans maybe.

deadman walking
Club Player

nothing will happeen because we are a weak club

Saints43
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

Statement just released.

Why am I doubtful??
Because we pleaded guilty to 3 of the 4 charges?

How could we take it further?

This should have been handled prior to the tribunal hearing.

St Kilda needed to make it clear that they would challenge the whole system in the courts unless the charges were dismissed or significantly reduced.

As it is we should not let this go. On Sunday night - once the round is complete - Nettlefold should call a press conference and show every incident from the round that involves an incident of greater contact off the ball than Bakers and demand these players be reported. See if everyone wants their players rubbed out as much as they wanted Baker suspended.

I think we all know that no-one else in the game is going to be held to the same standards as Baker and we should highlight the double standard.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/new ... fault.aspx

Statement just released.

Why am I doubtful??
Because we pleaded guilty to 3 of the 4 charges?

How could we take it further?

This should have been handled prior to the tribunal hearing.

St Kilda needed to make it clear that they would challenge the whole system in the courts unless the charges were dismissed or significantly reduced.

As it is we should not let this go. On Sunday night - once the round is complete - Nettlefold should call a press conference and show every incident from the round that involves an incident of greater contact off the ball than Bakers and demand these players be reported. See if everyone wants their players rubbed out as much as they wanted Baker suspended.

I think we all know that no-one else in the game is going to be held to the same standards as Baker and we should highlight the double standard.
IMO, you've got it almost right.

We shouldn't demand anything of the MRP
WHat we should do is release the
'Saints Video Watch'
and just release to teh AFL, MRP and all media a 'highlights package' of all incidents we feel are of similar/greater significance to those which have resulted in Baker being suspended for 9 matches.

We should also advise teh AFL, especially Anderson the Architect, that the MRP rules, as they currently stand, are patently ridiculous in this area and they need to be changed.
We should forward a copy of that letter to all Clubs and media for their information.
Baker should be speaking with the AFLPA and find out if their support for players extends beyond players charged with sexual assault.

IMO again, the AFLPA could mount a case at the Grievance Tribunal that Baker's ability to earn an income has been dramatically reduced due to the MRP's rulings.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The system is a farce that was set up to save money. It is more manifestly unjust than the tribunal system and will always be a second rate system as it has a presumption of guilt if you are cited by the MRP. It has no real right of reply to your charge as you have to find something that completely changes the opinion of the panel such as video from another angle that proves you didn't make contact etc. It is s*** and with the added dimension of behind the scenes directing from above it is just a stage show when you actually get to a hearing.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

nope

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Can't see the point in making a stand over 2 weeks. Let the footy do the talking. Bakes will be back for the finals...unless they suspend him while he's off the ground (a distinct possibility).

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i fear if we did take it forward the afl being the corrupt beast it is would make us all 'marked men' and we would never get a fair go...EVER.

just my two cents and maybe i am suffering from the 'noia' given everything that has happened over teh past few weeks.

geez it is going to be sweet drinking from the cup this year. will be worth 2 cups if we win it i reckon

#1 Ryder fan
oh when
Club Player

ROCK THE BOAT

We all know that if we rock the AFL boat - they will tip us out.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Can't see the point in making a stand over 2 weeks. Let the footy do the talking. Bakes will be back for the finals...unless they suspend him while he's off the ground (a distinct possibility).
Exactly, everyone is all hot under the collar with this and handling the situation with anger will not do us any favours.

Stop calling the club weak and gutless. This is the club we love, don't be like Collingwood supporters and turn on your own. They have to do the best for the club long term. Think big picture, have faith.

Always remember STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

bulls***. We should fight this last charge as hard and as far as we can to make a point that we won't be treated like this any longer - we are the whipping boy of the AFL and I've had a gutful, and will be devastated if I'm alone in feeling this...

The administrative law tenets of natural justice and procedural fairness have been breached here, no doubt about it. The MRP cannot look at a matter such as treatment of a previously injured player by his opponent - in this case Jack Reiwoldt hitting the injured arm of Pears against Essendon, being the clearest and most recent instance - and decide that there is no case to answer, then weeks later look at EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE OF INCIDENT (only this time involving a St Kilda player) and suddenly deem it to be actionable without there being some impropriety. This isn't a mtter of inconsistency - THIS IS CHEATING PURE AND SIMPLE.

We cannot stand for this. To not fight it because we are scared of the bullying tactics of the AFL is pathetic and if that is how we are going to act as a club we might as well give it away now because we will never achieve anything...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...