What Makes A True Saints Supporter??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Maxstar22
Club Player

What Makes A True Saints Supporter??

This has been nagging me for some time now and I know it will be slighly controversial in here....

I have been reading, listening etc to everyone on the forum and outside Saints fans. I always hear/read comments like "He is a real Saints man" or "You are such a true saints supporter".

So what makes you or the person next to you a better or more of a supporter than me (or anyone for that matter)??

Is it because I am not rich and famous that Eric Bana is more of a supporter than me?
Is it because Michael organises the MW that he is more of a supporter than me?
Is it because Lindsay Fox (insert any corporate here) invests more money into the club that me that makes him more of a supporter?
Is it because I attend every match and have a reserved seat that makes me more of a supporter than someone who only attends 2 games per year?

How do we measure it? Do we need to measure it?

Hmm...interesting.....Your thoughts please :lol:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

2010 membership scarf apparently :D :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Massive balls.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Certainly not how many matches you attend. I have been a St Kilda member since the late 60s, with the exception of maybe 5-6 years in the eighties when I had little money. I have lived in QLD since mid 70s and would watch St Kilda live on average 3-4 matches per year, but imo I'm as loyal and true blue a saint as anyone going around.

I believe the ability to stick with your team through thick and thin is what you should be judged on. Being up here in SEQ I go to a few Lions matches every year, and believe me, they are fair weather supporters at best. Due to their success of 01, 02,03 and a successful era under Leigh Matthews they have been spoilt, and certainly a lot of so called lions members/supporters have dropped off the bandwagon with more to follow going by their current form.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dont like this thread. We all support as much as we can and it shouldnt be measured.

As long as you barrack for the saints I dont care.

Maxstar22
Club Player

mullet wrote:Dont like this thread. We all support as much as we can and it shouldnt be measured.

If you don't like it, don't read it and post in it.... :idea:

I am not saying anyone is or isn't more or less of a supporter...I am curious as to what other people think on the matter.

You only have to read posts on this forum to see that some people do measure who is more of a supporter than others.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:2010 membership scarf apparently :D :wink:
I'm buggered... I like the 2008 one!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:
mullet wrote:Dont like this thread. We all support as much as we can and it shouldnt be measured.

If you don't like it, don't read it and post in it.... :idea:

I am not saying anyone is or isn't more or less of a supporter...I am curious as to what other people think on the matter.

You only have to read posts on this forum to see that some people do measure who is more of a supporter than others.
You say you are curious to what others think. This is what I think on the matter. Disliking the thread isnt personal, I dislike the idea that some are better than others when we all have a common goal and trying to measure something that in my opinion is immeasurable.

Life is about dealing with things that you like as well as you dont like.

Badlands
Club Player

It costs me about $300-$400 round trip to attend a game in Melb. As such i only get to somewhere between 3-5 games per year as a rule. Mortgage stress this year has meant i've only been to one game (Rd 1 in Syd) thus far, but trying to get to a couple before finals and hopefully will get to a final or two. Would hate to think this makes me less of a supporter than those with the luxury of attending week in, week out.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Massive balls.
This

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

A love of the St Kilda footy club is good in anyway who cares.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

a true supporter... well supports...????

i only go to 2-4 games a year.. i obsessed with the club(healthy one of course)

but thats just me... i dont even believe a true supporter has to be a member... just has to stick by the club win lose or draw(paying entry and buying products also funds the club)

but every one does it their own way.... some are one eyed... others are more open to suggestion... then you get the bandwagoners...

all are important to the club.. which is all that matters

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:2010 membership scarf apparently :D :wink:
Haven't picked my one up yet! Opps. Actually, I never got around to getting last year's ether. My 2008 one does the job :P

backit
Club Player

I agree with WASaintsfan, a true supporter is just a supporter of the St Kilda FC doesn't have to be a fully paid up member because not everyone has that luxury to be able to. They don't have to attend lots of matches because people have circumstances that prevent that (I know I do, I have lived and worked overseas and in Oz for the past 25 years but when I get to Melbourne and the Saints are playing I get there with my family) I grew up in a St Kilda supporting house in South East Melb and went nearly every week with my Dad to all suburban grounds in all weather and loved it but then grounds only held up to 20 - 30,000 but thats what happened in those times, times are now changed with many competing interests for families and games spread over 3 - 4 days and also interstate.

A Saints supporter takes the good with the bad, can be open to criticism and sarcasim from other club supporters but still supports the players, the club and each other. Saints supporters don't have to agree with what other Saints supporters say (this forum is a prime example of this) but at the last saturday of September would still be standing at the G together crying at a GF loss or celebrating a GF win.

A True Saints supporter deserves to be admired for being just that a True Saints supporter.

Go the Saints.

oh when
Club Player

Red Black and White is in my veins

I went to the first game St Kilda played at Moorabbin when I was 8.

Just loved the atmosphere of Moorabbin, it was an amazing haven for the red, black & white when the members stand rocked.

Joined the Cheer Squad in 1969 many fun times watching the Saints during the 70's. Putting up the banners on the fence, catching the first train to the game.

Attended every Saints game between 1971 and 1989 inc interstate.
Saw every game Barker played.

Since 1969 I have only missed 7 games in Melbourne.

Now I am 52 and my kids have grown up I am attending more interstate games each year.

Still attend with the same people since my cheer squad days.

I guess once it's in your blood it does not leave.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A "True Saints Supporter" shares her chocy butternut snaps at the footy in the rain :lol: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint58
Club Player

Re: What Makes A True Saints Supporter??

Maxstar22 wrote:This has been nagging me for some time now and I know it will be slighly controversial in here....

I have been reading, listening etc to everyone on the forum and outside Saints fans. I always hear/read comments like "He is a real Saints man" or "You are such a true saints supporter".

So what makes you or the person next to you a better or more of a supporter than me (or anyone for that matter)??

Is it because I am not rich and famous that Eric Bana is more of a supporter than me?
Is it because Michael organises the MW that he is more of a supporter than me?
Is it because Lindsay Fox (insert any corporate here) invests more money into the club that me that makes him more of a supporter?
Is it because I attend every match and have a reserved seat that makes me more of a supporter than someone who only attends 2 games per year?

How do we measure it? Do we need to measure it?

Hmm...interesting.....Your thoughts please :lol:

I think we all are true saint supporters if we are hurting when we lose or when one of our faithfull (players and supporters included) had a go either on the field or off it.

I know from my own experiences of standing down at moorabbin in the 80s+early 90s on the forward pocket at the grandstand end with only a hand full of supporters allways the same faces and watching the saints get hammered each week.

IT makes you love the club even more and realise how far we have come from the days of the the party club were players turned up to training half tanked and played like it and when any decent player usually left.

Or chearing great players like Greg burns or the great Georgy Young the cunningham boys harves as a young guy or jeff saru, and the elliot brothers burce Duperuzel Winmar and Plugger.These players who would not even get a mention now but were saint champions in my eyes as are all the players and supporters.

So to me i congratulate all of you guys as great and loyal saints legions. well done everyone.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:Certainly not how many matches you attend. I have been a St Kilda member since the late 60s, with the exception of maybe 5-6 years in the eighties when I had little money. I have lived in QLD since mid 70s and would watch St Kilda live on average 3-4 matches per year, but imo I'm as loyal and true blue a saint as anyone going around.

I believe the ability to stick with your team through thick and thin is what you should be judged on. Being up here in SEQ I go to a few Lions matches every year, and believe me, they are fair weather supporters at best. Due to their success of 01, 02,03 and a successful era under Leigh Matthews they have been spoilt, and certainly a lot of so called lions members/supporters have dropped off the bandwagon with more to follow going by their current form.
You should come and join us Saints Supporters at the Mermaid Beach Surf club, we have a ball and did we have that place rocking last Friday night.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Love of the club, sticking with it through the good and bad.
I dont think it can be measured in anything material. When you come across another geniune supporter you just know.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
IcanKickit
Club Player

steadfast,loyal,protective and smarmingly humble when we win it.

saintsfooty : 'Nothing wrong with that. Infact, it is brilliant to have everyone embracing it.'
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I met a supporter recently who told me they were a mad keen supporter. However, they did not know that the GF was on free to air TV, so missed it. They then argued with me that the GF had never been on free to air and that they should know cause they were from Melb. Is that a mad keen supporter. :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:I met a supporter recently who told me they were a mad keen supporter. However, they did not know that the GF was on free to air TV, so missed it. They then argued with me that the GF had never been on free to air and that they should know cause they were from Melb. Is that a mad keen supporter. :roll:
perhaps not so much mad keen as mad :wink:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Your cheering is a show of support not bagging out players non stop.

Marcus1232
Club Player

A true St.kilda support is showing undying support for ur warriors in there moment of need

FREE BAKER

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:A true St.kilda support is showing undying support for ur warriors in there moment of need

FREE BAKER
Very easy to identify a true saints supporter at the moment I would imagine.