Rivalries and dreams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainterman
Club Player

Rivalries and dreams

Sitting here about to watch the replay, and maybe it was as a result of Tom Harleys little intro, but I think we are really fortunate to be seeing these 2 great sides go toe to toe as they are at the moment. It really is a rivalry for the ages.

2 sides that have won 31 and 32 of their last 37 (I think they are the stats), have played in a close classic GF, had some epic home and a away matches (last night included!), and now seemed pitted against one another again this year. These are the 2 sides that collected draft picks and players in the early naughties, 2 sides that developed a rivalry that probably began in the 2004 night Grand Final and that still runs deep through the core players of both clubs. Maybe it was GT and Thommo who started it, or perhaps Chappy with his "we are better than them" comments.

Geelong obviously have the runs on the board and what we have always wanted, the premiership(s), but we have not been all that far away since 2004 ourselves (2007 the exception to this). We have had our injuries, a change of coach, and some scandals to boot, but still we remain strong and galvanised. Still we are focused. Geelong have been the picture of consistency since 2007, but we are right up there too, alongside them without the accolades premierships obviously bring.

In the 80's there was Hawthorn and Essendon, the 70's had Collingwood and Carlton, the 50's Melbourne and Collingwood, but now it is our turn, the Saints and the Cats are the ones.

I know there is much work to do still but for me it is a pleasure to be a part of all of this. I sat at Moorabbin and watched us as a kid, came home sad almost every week. Felt the excitement of that first final in the early nineties when Plugger kicked a bag. We lost, but what a day! Been to Waverly in the freezing cold, and now Etihad where we have become a force to be reckoned with. I have always loved the Saints, always dreamed of a flag, but with or without it, this group is my favorite of the lot. BJ, Dal, Lenny, Rooey, Gilbo, Milney, Gwilt, Kosi and all the others, working as a team, thinking about their footy really is a wonderful thing to witness. Their courage this year, through everything, amazing!

So I think last night was another enthralling chapter in this established and growing rivalry we now have. Maybe this time, in 2010, it is our turn. But whether it is or it isn't I am still going to enjoy nights like last night. We need to watch the rest of the comp closely too but for mine these are the 2 sides defining the competition.

I am looking forward to the rest of this ride in 2010...and still dreaming of that last Saturday in September, when it finally becomes ours. Keep your heads down Saints and keep working as one. That is all I ask, and then maybe, led by the ever calm and controlled RL, you will reach the promised land. You (and we the supporters) deserve it.

StSteven
Club Player

+1

and what adds to that is both sides play very different styles of football. Can't wait for finals to see what happens next time. Hopefully GF. No doubt they will be working overtime in the coaches' rooms.