Interesting comparison between Stk & Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting comparison between Stk & Geelong

I found a link to this in the thread on Geelong's BF forum about the upcoming game.

http://www.rogersresults.110mb.com/Roge ... tKilda.htm

Quite an interesting comparison. We seem to be the second best performing side since 2004, albeit without a flag to show for it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well they have the wood over us historically.

but the present is very even! see the last 25 games? both on 76% win rates.
that makes us neck and neck right now.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 21 Jun 2010 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that they have retained such a high percentage of their 2004 squad to date (considering King has swapped camp, 20 are still playing). I think the loss of players like Penny, Goose, X and Ball to injury was obviously a major setback, one which Geelong hasn't suffered quite so badly from. That's how it goes I guess...I'm not going to get into fitness and injury management under previous boards/coaches.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Just goes to show, if we had of won that GF last year, it would have all been even....very cutting....

spert
Saintsational Legend

Always good to remind ourselves how important it is to keep your best team on the field as long as possible, and Geelong should kneel down and pray in thanks that they got such an incredible injury-free run for a few seasons.

rexy
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Always good to remind ourselves how important it is to keep your best team on the field as long as possible, and Geelong should kneel down and pray in thanks that they got such an incredible injury-free run for a few seasons.
I suppose they have had a relatively good run, but Ottens King Chapman Rooke and Hunt have all missed a fair bit of footy, Egan was an AA in their first premiership year but missed the finals and has not played since, Ablett has missed half a dozen games as has Ling Scarlett and Kelly. I would say well managed is a more accurate description of their injuries.

You dont win 2 flags and 90% of your game played in 3 and a half years by luck I am afraid.

And your right, very important to keep your best side or the nucleus of your best side on the ground, also important that you have guys in all possies who have the grounding to step into the seniors.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Always good to remind ourselves how important it is to keep your best team on the field as long as possible, and Geelong should kneel down and pray in thanks that they got such an incredible injury-free run for a few seasons.
I would think in the last 2 years we have had a better run with injuries than them and by a fair distance.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I would think in the last 2 years we have had a better run with injuries than them and by a fair distance.
I agree that's true, it's probably fairer to say they have been fortunate in the timely returns of important players before finals.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Which of their guns was injured in the last training session before the big dance and could barely move?

I must have missed Ablett going down in round 3 and being out for most of the season.

They are having and have had a charmed run since 2006.....

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Having our best player injured during Grand Final week, effectively making him lame, and then having him out for 16 weeks is not great, and arguably worse than theirs.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Which of their guns was injured in the last training session before the big dance and could barely move?

I must have missed Ablett going down in round 3 and being out for most of the season.

I think we've had more than our fair share of career ending injuries to key young players since 2004, far more than Geelong. That has made a big difference, but despite all that, as pointed out above, the ledger would be square had we kicked straight in the GF.

Additionally, we effectively had a wasted year in 2007 whilst we re-set with a new coach, board and playing list...the club has no-one but themselves to blame for that occurring in the middle of our rise to the top.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Let's be fair dinkum - they lost an AA CHB to injury. Brad Ottens (widely regarded as an elite ruckman when up and going) has barely played in the last 2 years. They lost Ling for 6 weeks in 08 with a busted eye socket. THey've missed Corey (another AA) for virtually the entire year this year. THose of us who claimed that Riewoldt was lame before the GF last year need to look at the replay of the game. His lack of impact had nothing to do with being lame. There was no obvious discernible lack of movement in his game compared to other games. His lack of impact had everything to do with the weather and being triple and sometimes quadrupled teamed when going for the ball.

Rooey is a superstar, but let's be honest. Rooey aside it's US who's had a golden run with injury for the past 18mths. Dal, Joey, Lenny, BJ, Fisher, Milne, have all played most games and are all our best players.

Sometimes in sport you just have to concede that the opposition have been better. Hard to admit but this is the case when talking about the cats - and it's NOT because of any charmed run with injury.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

So we are talking one player when talking about injuries. I didnt know we were a one player team. They have had more injuries than us in the last 2 years to top 25 players. Fact.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

So we are talking one player when talking about injuries. I didnt know we were a one player team. They have had more injuries than us in the last 2 years to top 25 players. Fact.
Top 25 now, you sound like RF...which has more impact, the top 6, the bottom 6 or the middle 6?

I would say the impact of injury has had a greater impact on the Saints than the Cats over the last two years....

But of course i can't quote fact like you can

degruch
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Top 25 now, you sound like RF...which has more impact, the top 6, the bottom 6 or the middle 6?

I would say the impact of injury has had a greater impact on the Saints than the Cats over the last two years....

Only a blind, deaf, 87 year old Bolivian who had never watched a game of football in their life would believe the Cats have had a worse run from injuries than us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Only a blind, deaf, 87 year old Bolivian who had never watched a game of football in their life would believe the Cats have had a worse run from injuries than us.
The fact is in the last 2 years we have had a much better run with injuries than Geelong. Fact even for a blind deaf 87 bolivian and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously thinks we only have one player in our side.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
The fact is in the last 2 years we have had a much better run with injuries than Geelong. Fact even for a blind deaf 87 bolivian and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously thinks we only have one player in our side.
OK, could you please list the details relating to this fact, for the doubters amongst us. I'll admit the quantifier '2 years' does peg it back close to our favour, but I'd say we've still had some significant setbacks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
OK, could you please list the details relating to this fact, for the doubters amongst us. I'll admit the quantifier '2 years' does peg it back close to our favour, but I'd say we've still had some significant setbacks.
Not sure about others but I have only ever mentioned 2 years.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Not sure about others but I have only ever mentioned 2 years.
Well, the article in the OP is talking about 2004 onwards. There's no way on earth anyone could twist figures enough to make it look as if Geelong have had an injury advantage over that period of time. I've named 4 players practically and actually retired from our team in their prime, during this period. Geelong?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Not sure why you keep mentioning the one man side thing, I thought we were comparing injury runs, and I would have thought injuries to your very best players had more effect than the 20th player on your list...

Still you have the facts on your side

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Not sure why you keep mentioning the one man side thing, I thought we were comparing injury runs, and I would have thought injuries to your very best players had more effect than the 20th player on your list...

Well for the last 2 games only Geelong had 5 AA out. Are they classy enough. If you dont believe me look at injuries to both sides over the last 2 years. We had less and by a fair margin.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 23 Jun 2010 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Finna
Club Player

Moods wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Let's be fair dinkum - they lost an AA CHB to injury. Brad Ottens (widely regarded as an elite ruckman when up and going) has barely played in the last 2 years. They lost Ling for 6 weeks in 08 with a busted eye socket. THey've missed Corey (another AA) for virtually the entire year this year. THose of us who claimed that Riewoldt was lame before the GF last year need to look at the replay of the game. His lack of impact had nothing to do with being lame. There was no obvious discernible lack of movement in his game compared to other games. His lack of impact had everything to do with the weather and being triple and sometimes quadrupled teamed when going for the ball.

Rooey is a superstar, but let's be honest. Rooey aside it's US who's had a golden run with injury for the past 18mths. Dal, Joey, Lenny, BJ, Fisher, Milne, have all played most games and are all our best players.

Sometimes in sport you just have to concede that the opposition have been better. Hard to admit but this is the case when talking about the cats - and it's NOT because of any charmed run with injury.
Good post grounded in reality.

We need to be realistic they have been better than us in this period. Nothing to do with injuries - they have been the better team.

Hopefully we can dominate the next 3-4 years and have our turn, look back in 2014 and say we have been even over the ten year period.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
StSteven
Club Player

I am most impressed by the fact that they don't whinge about injuries but use it as an opportunity to develop newcomers. They seem to have so much talent waiting in the wings.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:We need to be realistic they have been better than us in this period. Nothing to do with injuries - they have been the better team.
They haven't been the best team by much though, when you consider what our club has been through in the last 6 years, it's quite incredible. A win in last years GF would have given us equal status, despite the injuries, the change of coach, board, etc, etc. Let's hope we start squaring the ledger this year and the Saints begin to get the credit they deserve.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Really?

Well for the last 2 games only Geelong had 5 AA out. Are they classy enough. If you dont believe me look at injuries to both sides over the last 2 years. We had less and by a fair margin.
So its two games now???
Are you sure you're not RF?

How many games has Gardy missed over the last two years, what about King? they are both AA's