Footy>>>>>>>Soccer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Footy>>>>>>>Soccer

The biggest problem with the world cup and soccer in general is that the game itself is crap... so boring in fact that attendees at games feel compelled to bring musical instruments, flares, etc, and regularly riot just to distract from the turgid bore fest unravelling on the pitch before them.

I'm not even going to mention the antics of the players themselves, with all their diving and writhing... OMFG!

But perhaps worst of all is the way the solitary ref can determine the result of a game... in a way that must make some AFL umpire giddy with envy! :wink:

Thank god we dont have the sending off rule in the AFL... but having said that, I'm as convinced that our umpires strive to be as fair as possible, as I am convinced that these soccer ref's are on the take, or at least under instruction.

We were robbed last time against Italy, as it seems were the Kiwis overnight!... And in the last 2 games we've had 2 of our best players sent off for laughable infractions.

Even cricket is better than this game!

Yes, I'll watch and support Australia to the bitter end, however bad the game itself, you cant deny the spectacle of such an enormous international tournament... but faaaark me, what a crap game!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No wonder they have all of the soccer riots throughout the world. sitting through a whole game for a Nil All Draw.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why it is in here but anyway....refereeing has been a disgrace on all fronts.

NZ Goal was offside, Italy penalty was tenuous, Kewell's red card while technically correct was harsh, and the play acting of the Ivory Cost player to get Brazil's Kaka sent off was an offence punishable by death.

Don't let that crap ruin an otherwise great game for you.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Biggest sporting event in the world, biggest television event in the world, most played sport in the world.....must be really crap.

I'd prefer to watch AFL over soccer any day, but to say the game is crap is complete rubbish.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No one hardly ever mentions in soccer what a great game they just played. They always say wasnt the atmosphere great. In footy we always mention the game first and then the atmosphere. To me that shows how great our game is.

Also on another point everyone seems to be having a go at the refs. Havent people told us there are minimal rules and it is easy to umpire. Probably just shows how hard it is for any game to umpire because only 50% of people think you are right with decisions. Doesnt make our umpires seem as bad as we think.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Those bloody trumpets are doing my head in! Anyway...I'm off the Aussie bandwagon and have jumped straight on with the Kiwis! :lol: :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Footy>>>>>>>Soccer

markp wrote:But perhaps worst of all is the way the solitary ref can determine the result of a game... in a way that must make some AFL umpire giddy with envy! :wink:
It is a non-contact sport afterall. :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

I really find soccer basically a dull game, no fault of soccer, that's just the way it is. It's a good kiddies game as it is predictable due to the use of the round ball, so less likelyhood of major collision, all very nice and...boring!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Those bloody trumpets are doing my head in! Anyway...I'm off the Aussie bandwagon and have jumped straight on with the Kiwis! :lol: :lol:
...or to give them their new correct name...Australasia ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No one hardly ever mentions in soccer what a great game they just played. They always say wasnt the atmosphere great. In footy we always mention the game first and then the atmosphere. To me that shows how great our game is.
Exactly!

How often would people be rushing out to buy a dvd copy of any soccer game?

Even the best games only contain about 30 seconds of highlights... compare that to something like the hawks/bombers clash on the weekend, or even any half decent AFL game: no contest.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

It's a hidden gem, our game.

But I can imagine it being difficult to "get" if you didn't grow up in AFL territory.

If you saw it for the first time you would think, "what on earth is going on here?!" Some foreigners I've met have honestly wondered if the rules were totally random, which, if you think about it, they kinda are.

If I grew up in Europe or the USA there is no chance I would ever have found the AFL.

Because of that I sometimes wonder how the AFL could ever become a true global game when we can't even convince our friends in NSW and Qld that our game is actually better than Rugby League FFS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:It's a hidden gem, our game.

But I can imagine it being difficult to "get" if you didn't grow up in AFL territory.

If you saw it for the first time you would think, "what on earth is going on here?!" Some foreigners I've met have honestly wondered if the rules were totally random, which, if you think about it, they kinda are.

If I grew up in Europe or the USA there is no chance I would ever have found the AFL.

Because of that I sometimes wonder how the AFL could ever become a true global game when we can't even convince our friends in NSW and Qld that our game is actually better than Rugby League FFS.
It will never become a global game. Neither has American football. Indigenous games never really travel outside their own country but that doesnt stop us getting players from other countries and also loving our game more than any other.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What's with all the snipers in the crowd taking out the players :shock: :wink:

SaintTom
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

It will never become a global game. Neither has American football. Indigenous games never really travel outside their own country but that doesnt stop us getting players from other countries and also loving our game more than any other.
I have a friend from Boston who has a close working relationship with the New England Patriots, and a few of their players come over to Australia during their offseason purely to watch the AFL. Apparently, it's their favourite game in the world. Not saying for a moment that the game will be global, but interesting to see that even people who are professional NFL players come to Australia because they acknowledge how fantastic our game really is.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have a friend from Boston who has a close working relationship with the New England Patriots, and a few of their players come over to Australia during their offseason purely to watch the AFL. Apparently, it's their favourite game in the world. Not saying for a moment that the game will be global, but interesting to see that even people who are professional NFL players come to Australia because they acknowledge how fantastic our game really is.
Interesting.

I certainly wouldn't discount it taking a hold in the States at some point... it is the land of Slamball, UFC and the Lingerie Football League after all!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It will never become a global game. Neither has American football.
Don't get me started on how boring American Football is. The game has never gone far outside the US for a reason.

Soccer is a game anyone can play, and can be involved. The problem with AFL for those without the talent to play (i.e. me), is that it is easy to be excluded (i.e. stand on the ground all day without a touch). Auskick is great to get the kids into it, something that didn't exist when I was a littly.

Also, as Beej pointed out, unless you've grown up with AFL, it isn't easy to understand either. Something compounded by bewildering umpiring interpretations of late.

Soccer never stuck with me, it's a tacticle game (which I generally like), but not like Chess, more like Draughts.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Brilliant OP markp.

Globalist sports like Soccer and F1 = Coke and Pepsi. FIFA is moving in on our teritory, it's a corporate takeover and they have our pollies in their pockets. Wanna seat on the UN or some "council".... FIFA would probably be able to arrange it.... (I'm speculating.) The Australian Gov showed it's global colours by pressuring the AFL - our national game to move aside for the WC.

Taking AFL global will never happen and it shouldn't.

AFL is our game, and one of the few things left Aussies can call their own.
How very appropriate is your posting name for this issue. :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Soccer is a game anyone can play, and can be involved.
That probably explains its popularity, if you play or played it you are more likely to watch it and be a fan... but it does not justify it! :wink:

And yup a0k, if ours was a global game, Roo would be playing for the LA allstars!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
degruch wrote:Soccer is a game anyone can play, and can be involved.
That probably explains its popularity, if you play or played it you are more likely to watch it and be a fan... but it does not justify it! :wink:

And yup a0k, if ours was a global game, Roo would be playing for the LA allstars!
True - I am loosely involved in a club that has over 800 junior soccer players. They need to turn kids away. It is becoming more popular and spans ability and ages. I think it's something you grow up with - like AFL. However AFL is easier to come to in later life because it is more attractive and interesting for more of the time (game time that is).

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Most of the world would have been kicking a round ball around for centuries and had their local version of a game which resembled soccer in some way ... so soccer was destined to become a world game.

The oval ball sports probably weren't as widespread and came later in history - and were therefore more localised? - apart from rugby maybe.

but I have no doubt if Aussie rules had taken root somehow at the same time as soccer was taking off (worldwide) - soccer would not have got a look in (at least as a spectator sport).

If Australia was an imperial power like England .. I'm sure Aussie rules would have become a world game... and we'd be perhaps occasionally suffering the humility of one of our colonies beating us at our own game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The two things that are the biggest joke are:

(1) The red card rule - why an automatic suspension the next week with no right of appeal? Way too harsh IMO...

(2) If two sides finish identically placed (both points, goals scored for and against) after the group stage in 2nd and 3rd positions of their group, a toss of the coin will decide the placings (and qualification for the next round!).

WHAT a joke that is!

Joffa 5
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:
Were they patriot players at the Saints - Cats game last year? I remember some NFL guys being there and what a cracker of a game to be there for!

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:The two things that are the biggest joke are:

(1) The red card rule - why an automatic suspension the next week with no right of appeal? Way too harsh IMO...

(2) If two sides finish identically placed (both points, goals scored for and against) after the group stage in 2nd and 3rd positions of their group, a toss of the coin will decide the placings (and qualification for the next round!).

WHAT a joke that is!
Yep, how can a bloke unintentionally have the ball hit him in the hand and be suspended for a week and the remainder of the match for it!?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SaintTom wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Interesting.

I certainly wouldn't discount it taking a hold in the States at some point... it is the land of Slamball, UFC and the Lingerie Football League after all!
was watching a live stream on a website the other day and a guy from boston came on and had a great chat with him during the match. They loved the way our players jump into packs without padding. Was curious about teams backgrounds and comparing them to american teams.

There used to be heaps of Americans loving it when they used to show the games over there. Not sure if it's that easy to access anymore

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith