Power of Positive

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Power of Positive

When you start looking for something in a player, you will invariably find it. After spending time in the coaches’ box, the thing that stands out most is that once coaches have a set on a player, they become totally unaware of his positive contributions and infinitely more alert to anything negative

X 1,000 for supporters :wink: especially success starved Saints supporters.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Focusing on outcomes that are within a player’s control is very important. To consistently extract the best performance from Milne, it would make sense to insist on a few non-negotiable behaviours from him.

The first is a high work rate and an eagerness to tackle, chase and defend. Milney’s love of yapping at opponents and teammates is also a positive. These are within his control and flow from his natural energy, which he brings to the team regardless of the state of the game.

Working back to the front-and-centre crumbing position is another of his strengths. No opposition can stop Milne from talking, tackling and running to the right position. When these basics are performed at a high level, Milne kicks goals and the Saints win more than they lose.

Ross Lyon appears to be pushing the right buttons with Steven Milne. Four match-winning goals at Subiaco in his 200th game on the weekend proved that it is possible for Milne to find the footy outside of Victoria.

It is a huge credit to Ross Lyon and his coaching team that they are able to get players with severe limitations in their game to play the way they need them to. Zac Dawson, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Jason Blake, Robert Eddy might struggle to get a game at other sides, but for the Saints they all get the job done.

PS; I am a self confessed Pollyanna.......... GO SAINTS

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintlee
Club Player

Good article

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Luke DARCY-Best article by AFL expert in a long long time !

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Well done Luke you have rightly covered the benefits in the art of positive reinforcement and backing your players to do the job !

Made GT look like the boof head that he was !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Putting your hand up as his coach and accepting some responsibility for the shortcomings in his game would be a generous and fair thing to do.
I like that.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Whack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Ross Lyon drop Milne?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

amazing article, so many of our blokes punch above their weight

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

bit different to trading him ....

rodgerfox wrote:Didn't Ross Lyon drop Milne?
Yes he did dropping him is a lot different to wanting to trade him and consistently mentioning that everytime he is asked.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: bit different to trading him ....

WinnersOnly wrote:
Yes he did dropping him is a lot different to wanting to trade him and consistently mentioning that everytime he is asked.
Milne was recalled a week later, to which he kicked four goals in a come-from-behind victory against the Kangas (who had just beaten Hawthorn and were pushing for a top four position) at Gold Coast Stadium.

Bad management is bad management
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GT post 11 goal game... Hey I know you just played the perfect game and did everything a coach could ask...but you are no good Interstate and so I won't play you...

...and then a week late...see I told you you were no good interstate

RL post Milne not achieving: Stevie, you know and I know that you can achieve the things we have discussed. I have faith in you but I am going to put you back in the VFL so that you can demonstrate that you can do what we have discussed. Achieve them and you are back in.

There are only two people in Australia that do not know what Stevie's real problem was.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
Milne was recalled a week later, to which he kicked four goals in a come-from-behind victory against the Kangas (who had just beaten Hawthorn and were pushing for a top four position) at Gold Coast Stadium.
Which for most of us = good coaching by Lyon.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
??

Why are you comparing it with GT?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GT post 11 goal game... Hey I know you just played the perfect game and did everything a coach could ask...but you are no good Interstate and so I won't play you...

RL post Milne not achieving: Stevie, you know and I know that you can achieve the things we have discussed. I have faith in you but I am going to put you back in the VFL so that you can demonstrate that you can do what we have discussed. Achieve them and you are back in.

There are only two people in Australia that do not know what Stevie's real problem was.
Hahaah!!

You're classic.

Are you claiming to have sat in on the one-on-ones with Milne and Lyon?

Fair dinkum, you are priceless.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
So dropping a guy - or as people on here described at the time 'having the riot act read to him' - resulted in him playing good footy?

How is being dropped 'having complete faith' in him?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: How is being dropped 'having complete faith' in him?
Simple answer is it is not having complete faith in him.

Big difference in dropping a player or two (Dal Santo was also dropped) mid season to try and invigorate a flagging team and its prospects, than to dropping a player who has just kicked 11 goals coming into a finals where the team is top four.

Why did you bring Lyon into this? It is about GT and his obvious limitations in getting the best out of certain players.

However it justifies nothing. To look at GT and his player management by just one player is totally out of context.

A coach will have 40+ players on his list at any one time. How in hell can any coach have all players onside all at once.

Luke Ball anyone?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Why did you bring Lyon into this? It is about GT and his obvious limitations in getting the best out of certain players.
I didn't.

Luke Darcy did.

And whilst I agree with his comment "Ross Lyon appears to be pushing the right buttons with Steven Milne", I do find it a bit contradictory to the whole 'absolute faith' nonsense he was going on about throughout the rest of the article.

It probably should be noted too, that many people rated Milne when GT was coach - even if GT didn't.

And as I've said a few times on this board, I'm afraid we won't be able to tell whether the 'right buttons' have been pushed with Milne until GF day 2010 - cause as of GF day 2009, it was horribly evident that nothing different had been pushed at all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Putting your hand up as his coach and accepting some responsibility for the shortcomings in his game would be a generous and fair thing to do.
I like that.
He said as much on 'one week at a time' on Monday night, think a lot of people are starting to appreciate number 44 and how consistent his game has become...

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: I do find it a bit contradictory to the whole 'absolute faith' nonsense he was going on about throughout the rest of the article.
Where?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I didn't.

Luke Darcy did.

And whilst I agree with his comment "Ross Lyon appears to be pushing the right buttons with Steven Milne", I do find it a bit contradictory to the whole 'absolute faith' nonsense he was going on about throughout the rest of the article.

It probably should be noted too, that many people rated Milne when GT was coach - even if GT didn't.

And as I've said a few times on this board, I'm afraid we won't be able to tell whether the 'right buttons' have been pushed with Milne until GF day 2010 - cause as of GF day 2009, it was horribly evident that nothing different had been pushed at all.
Unfortunately you're right regarding Milne, hopefully we make it so he and a few others have the chance for redemption.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
I like that.
i would have to agree with that.

all GT does is complain without accepting any responsibility for any shortcomings at the time.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
I like that.
i would have to agree with that.

all GT does is complain without accepting any responsibility for any shortcomings at the time.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
So dropping a guy - or as people on here described at the time 'having the riot act read to him' - resulted in him playing good footy?

He may not have had 'complete faith', but enough to recall him. Does dropping him for one match mean that he had no faith in him?

Having no faith means dropping him to the VFL, letting him rot and trading him at seasons end.

Bad management is bad management
bob__71
Club Player

I think that Steve is consistently proving his worth. He has/is making a considerable contribution towards us winning enough games to challenge for the flag this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

I would have though that Ross has shown complete faith in Milney by retaining him, and by playing him, despite his less than impressive finals performances (the ones that GT keeps highlighting :roll:)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaah!!

You're classic.

Are you claiming to have sat in on the one-on-ones with Milne and Lyon?

Fair dinkum, you are priceless.
You are funny RF... you KNOW full well that I was just joining the dots about what BOTH coaches and Milne have stated.

GT by his own words has clearly demonstrated that as far as player development and improvement goes that he was hopeless.

Now wonder he had no time for rookies (his words ina radio interview)....as he did not have the coaching ability to mine this valuable source.