Great to see our lower tier players contributing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Great to see our lower tier players contributing

THis to me has been a worry even over the last few games that we have been winning. Lenny, BJ, Dal Joey, Fish and Milney doing all the work.

Thought that Eddy was great, Peake, Geary, Mini, Gwilt, all had solid games and contributed really well. Second half Stanley started taking some marks and putting real pressure on. IN this respect it was probably our best win of the year imo - even better than the North game where Rooey took the game apart. WE've actually had some great wins this year when I think of it, but interms of some of these younger guys with less confidence stepping up, I was rapt.

SaintWal
Club Player

Re: Great to see our lower tier players contributing

Well spotted.

Thought Eddy was good and thought Mini's forward pressure was the best he has brought all year
Moods wrote:THis to me has been a worry even over the last few games that we have been winning. Lenny, BJ, Dal Joey, Fish and Milney doing all the work.

Thought that Eddy was great, Peake, Geary, Mini, Gwilt, all had solid games and contributed really well. Second half Stanley started taking some marks and putting real pressure on. IN this respect it was probably our best win of the year imo - even better than the North game where Rooey took the game apart. WE've actually had some great wins this year when I think of it, but interms of some of these younger guys with less confidence stepping up, I was rapt.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep, you are right....thought Gearys disposal was cleaner today, Gwilt by foot is sublime, Eddy applied pressure and some, Peake was important with his inside 50's and could of kicked a couple.

felixleo
Club Player

Peake's best game so far?

Are you gonna be the one?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i've never been a fan of eddy, but today i liked a few things he did. he's tough and tackles like a maniac.

also, peake adds a bit of pace and class.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yep, you are right....thought Gearys disposal was cleaner today, Gwilt by foot is sublime, Eddy applied pressure and some, Peake was important with his inside 50's and could of kicked a couple.
We looked really even today, easily most even output of the season.

I wouldn't say anyone apart from BJ and Milney in the first half starred, but everyone contributed.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Really enjoyed Geary's defensive game today, especially his clean hands in traffic and bullocking out of packs. If he can develop into a small/medium defender it will be a massive bonus.

Gwilt has been very good all year.

Eddy did show a bit, he just runs and presents all day, there is something about him, I don't think he has enough strengths but he gives it his all....he certainly played his role today.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes the young guys were fabulous, as Ross said, a good team effort.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Eddy - Fumbles too much and puts his team mates under pressure....but works hard

Geary - is up to it, and will become a B-Grade player

Gwilt - is in VG form

Raph - was looking good again, injured at a bad time again.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Eddy - Fumbles too much and puts his team mates under pressure....but works hard

Geary - is up to it, and will become a B-Grade player

Gwilt - is in VG form

Raph - was looking good again, injured at a bad time again.
I agree with all these assessments. Shame about Geary: he seems to have plateaued in his development and become reasonable, but nothing more than that.

A year or so ago, when Nettlefold described him as "something special", he looked more promising. Alas, young players don't get overlooked by talent scouts from 16 clubs and end up on the rookie list for no reason. Especially midfielders: CJ is a highly exceptional late bloomer.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Shame about Geary: he seems to have plateaued in his development and become reasonable, but nothing more than that.
it's a bit early to call that, isn't it. he's played what <30 games. i still think he could be something special. not a superstar, but a very good player.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:Shame about Geary: he seems to have plateaued in his development and become reasonable, but nothing more than that.
it's a bit early to call that, isn't it. he's played what <30 games. i still think he could be something special. not a superstar, but a very good player.
Agree totally. For a young guy his attack on the ball is inspiring, and I think he has the skill sets to make him a really important player once he matures a bit more physically and mentally. Potential isn't always realised but I'm a fan...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Solar
Saintsational Legend

only one that dispointed me was mini's decision making but hard to judge on the TV as you can't read whats up forward. Just seemed a little slow in the faster game

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
goodie
Club Player

Best tackling effort for the year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Agree totally. For a young guy his attack on the ball is inspiring, and I think he has the skill sets to make him a really important player once he matures a bit more physically and mentally. Potential isn't always realised but I'm a fan...
I'm a fan too and I hope you're right. I'm just worried that he's lost some of his attacking flair between 2009 and 2010.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see these guys contribute when the top 6 don't.

You'll find that in most games with most teams, their bottom 6 appear to contribute a lot when the stars are shining.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I'd like to see these guys contribute when the top 6 don't.

You'll find that in most games with most teams, their bottom 6 appear to contribute a lot when the stars are shining.
How was Lenny, Joey and Chips compared to the normal output. Bottom 6 win you games against the good sides if the top 6 play to their expected potential and yesterday was a good example of this.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

How was Lenny, Joey and Chips compared to the normal output. Bottom 6 win you games against the good sides if the top 6 play to their expected potential and yesterday was a good example of this.
Depends on what you mean by 'output'?

I thought in most areas they were excellent.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Best tackling effort for the year.
Agree.

Raph's tackle on Pav was mindblowing......lifted the whole team!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well none were probably not in the best 6 which means lesser players were better. That is unusual for them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That was actually the point of my OP Rodg. I agree with P66 in that I thought some of our top tier players were slightly down yesterday. Not terrible, but down a fraction. Against the blues, and Port when this happened we played terribly. Yesterday I reckon these guys took up the slack of a couple of blokes, and are starting to get better. Joey was well tagged yesterday, Lenny was quiet in the 2nd half. THought Chips was good as he played on Pav and kept him quiet which was a really important job. Great teams are even across the board. WE are starting to get there, as opposed to the start of the year where we were more reliant on our stars. There aren't as many players that you look at in the team and think, 'he's not up to it.'

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That was actually the point of my OP Rodg. I agree with P66 in that I thought some of our top tier players were slightly down yesterday. Not terrible, but down a fraction. Against the blues, and Port when this happened we played terribly. Yesterday I reckon these guys took up the slack of a couple of blokes, and are starting to get better. Joey was well tagged yesterday, Lenny was quiet in the 2nd half. THought Chips was good as he played on Pav and kept him quiet which was a really important job. Great teams are even across the board. WE are starting to get there, as opposed to the start of the year where we were more reliant on our stars. There aren't as many players that you look at in the team and think, 'he's not up to it.'
I actually think until Roo's injury, we had about 6 or 7 but it was never obvious - or really an issue.

Now I must admit, with Roo missing, we are playing more 'even' footy.

avid
Club Player

I still can't raise any faith in Eddy at all. But there were about three moments yesterday that severely tested my theory of his hopelessness -- some excellent, intense pressuring, a couple of great tackles, even a mark. In general though, he must be the worst mark in the league -- attacks the ball with hands like wooden paddles. No idea at all.

Geary I have hope that he'll recover those flashes of genius/courage he showed last year, and go on with it. Not much sign of it this year, but he certainly earned his place against Freo.

Peake did too. Contrary to my lack of faith.
Wish he'd boot the ball properly, not just chip underneath it all the time.

Mini I do have faith in. On very little evidence this year though.

Gwilt and Raph are now established. Both make essential contributions in their own ways. Gwilt's kicking is beautiful to behold. Both can still improve heaps, and I still think they will.

The win against Freo made many of us feel a lot more comfortable with our current stocks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Alas, young players don't get overlooked by talent scouts from 16 clubs and end up on the rookie list for no reason. Especially midfielders: CJ is a highly exceptional late bloomer.
????

Barlow
Pods?

....and on rookies. many, many have made it over the years including Milne.
Some have become AA's.

Rookies might have a lower chance of making it and many do.

Personally I think Geary will get better and better. Joey like if you like...but maybe or maybe not as good. I would rate him an excellent chance to playa lot of games for the Saints. I think with more games and experience that he will settle and start to use the ball better which is currently his main weakness.

A good sign with Geary is the way he plays so well when he goes back to the VFL. though many have domnated there without making it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok...of our "fringe" players, Peake is the one that I see as potentially making the biggest difference in 2010.

BUT....he needs a kicking coach badly as too often he seems to get too far under the ball on kicking with it ballooning up giving kicks that float and lack distance.

With his fast breaks..with bigger kicks he should be kicking more goals and setting more up. But his vertical shanks are wasting opportunities.

A Peake with better ball use combined witha 100% fit Gram will make fora quite different looking saints. add in roo and we will bea lot more deadly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....