this week's raph thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

this week's raph thread

i thought he was good.

made the inevitable balls up, but did some great stuff. gives us some run and you could never accuse him of lacking courage the way he backs into those packs.

yet still i had a "supporter" sitting behind me calling him a d**khead when he was forced to kick one along the ground that resulted in a richmond goal.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Raph was decent (not as good as the last couple of weeks) but I wouldn't say he was forced to kick it along the ground. That was just a plain old ugly clanger.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Raph was decent (not as good as the last couple of weeks) but I wouldn't say he was forced to kick it along the ground. That was just a plain old ugly clanger.
i saw it pretty clearly. the ball would have been smothered if he'd tried a proper kick. it was his only option and he took it.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Better start a thread on Lenny Hayes then, cos I reckon he turned it over or failed to hit a target as much or more than Raph tonight

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Seriously, he made some shocking mistakes. Does anyone really think he would get a game at Geelong? Because if he was as good as what everyone says, he would.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Legendary
Club Player

Preface by saying I thought he was solid.

However, three times throughout the match he had the ball in space and in time across the backline.

Twice he failed to execute the kick, the ball was turned over and Richmond had a shot on goal. The third time he kicked it to a 3-on-1 (arguably the worst option he had to go to).

Those sort of mistakes are fine against the Tigers, but will cost you a final against a better side.

Needs to be far more precise with his kicking in those situations. It's the difference at the moment between him being ranked 10th-20th in the side, and being in our top 5-6 every week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was good....

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's the girl with the curl.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Seriously, he made some shocking mistakes. Does anyone really think he would get a game at Geelong? Because if he was as good as what everyone says, he would.
he tends to polarise opinion. people either are a fan or think he's hopeless.

i'm a fan.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Better start a thread on Lenny Hayes then, cos I reckon he turned it over or failed to hit a target as much or more than Raph tonight
ffs, without Lenny we are nothing . Hayes >>>>>>>>>>> infinity...Clark.

rexy
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:Seriously, he made some shocking mistakes. Does anyone really think he would get a game at Geelong? Because if he was as good as what everyone says, he would.
Harry Taylor gets one?

So maybe?

Maybe this year?
maverick
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
he tends to polarise opinion. people either are a fan or think he's hopeless.

i'm a fan.
Me too.

westy
Club Player

Why would anyone care if he got a game at geelong!!!!!!!!???????

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
saint66au wrote:Better start a thread on Lenny Hayes then, cos I reckon he turned it over or failed to hit a target as much or more than Raph tonight
ffs, without Lenny we are nothing . Hayes >>>>>>>>>>> infinity...Clark.
Im just making the poiunt that Lennys disposal was very ordianry IMO tonight, yet its Raph's turnovers that are dissected to the n'th degree

A turnover is a turnover, a target missed is a target missed

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lucky Raph aint playing cricket. That ball that went between his legs for a goal only just missed the middle stump :roll: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintnick12
Club Player

I thought he was ok too. He had a few howlers, and these contriuted to Richmond scores - as holwers in defence usually do. However, he also was a link in the chain of many good Saints plays and some that ended in goals. Not as good as he has been, but not as bad as many made out.

BTW, clearly none of you were sitting around me tonight, as I swear my seat was in the middle of the "I hate Raph" club. I was surrounded by them. Drove me insane. The particularly charming family sitting right behind me - I think the guy started with "You're pathetic Raph - how do you get a game at AFL level" at the 5 minute mark. Also gave us a running commentary of every mistake that every player made. Almost hysterical every time we kicked sideways or backwards. I brought a friend with me tonight who vary rarely goes to games. She noted at the end of the game" No need to bother abusing the opposition when you hate your own team so much" which this family clearly did. :?

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:I thought he was ok too. He had a few howlers, and these contriuted to Richmond scores - as holwers in defence usually do. However, he also was a link in the chain of many good Saints plays and some that ended in goals. Not as good as he has been, but not as bad as many made out.

BTW, clearly none of you were sitting around me tonight, as I swear my seat was in the middle of the "I hate Raph" club. I was surrounded by them. Drove me insane. The particularly charming family sitting right behind me - I think the guy started with "You're pathetic Raph - how do you get a game at AFL level" at the 5 minute mark. Also gave us a running commentary of every mistake that every player made. Almost hysterical every time we kicked sideways or backwards. I brought a friend with me tonight who vary rarely goes to games. She noted at the end of the game" No need to bother abusing the opposition when you hate your own team so much" which this family clearly did. :?
This is the problem with 40,000 members, you start scraping the barrel with footy "experts"

gurubob101
Club Player

"Seriously, he made some shocking mistakes. Does anyone really think he would get a game at Geelong? Because if he was as good as what everyone says, he would."

Geelong have half the talent we have floating around the back half!
I'd have Raph in front of Lonergan, Hunt, Kelly, Milburn or Taylor. At least he provides some creativity off the half back line.

linz
Club Player

Raph has got an unbelievable insight into finding the football and reading the play. Well played tonight.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
rexy
SS Life Member

gurubob101 wrote:"Seriously, he made some shocking mistakes. Does anyone really think he would get a game at Geelong? Because if he was as good as what everyone says, he would."

Geelong have half the talent we have floating around the back half!
I'd have Raph in front of Lonergan, Hunt, Kelly, Milburn or Taylor. At least he provides some creativity off the half back line.
Not sure about Kelly Milburn or Hunt but agree on Lonegan and Taylor. Unfortunately every side has a whipping boy and he is ours, good player raph who makes some mistakes. Did well tonight IMO, balluse down across the side.

Maybe this year?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Raph has got an unbelievable insight into finding the football and reading the play. Well played tonight.
exactly.

26 touches...many creative and many under pressure.

Sure he farked up a few, but got us out of jail plenty of times also.

"Dad" also played a very steady game in defence.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

THought he played well. His kicking seems to have improved from last year, and he also appears to have picked up a yard in pace. Is more aggressive at the contest too. I'll live with the odd clanger if he keeps that up. As long as he's trying to make the play, which is his job off half back. I would have put him in our best tonight.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I just love the after match Raph moral boosting threads There has to be a reason for all the support threads for Raph,????????????

Moods
Saintsational Legend

For those who think Raph is no good - who would you play there in his place? No point saying he's useless, drop him. there's already been other threads about how poor our disposal is at Sandy. I can think of no-one whos place he's holding back.

linz
Club Player

Raph isn't a robot. In fact, you would assume he is the opposite 'cause he is so unpredictable.

Maybe he's Lyon's secret weapon.

Our game style is regimented, defensive, disciplined and in most cases
SO PREDICTABLE

And then there's RAPH. HE IS SO UNPREDICTABLE.

Not quiet the Goodes or Richo type yet but he's a work in progress.

I think Lyon likes ONE girl with a curl in the side. Makes life a bit more interesting and less predictable for opposition sides.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.