Potential Rookie Elevations after Rd 11 ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Potential Rookie Elevations after Rd 11 ??

After Round 11 under AFL rules we have the option to elevate a rookie should we have a player who will be on the LTI for the rest of the year.

If Luke Miles injury puts him out for the rest of the year then this gives the chance to promote a rookie.

Our current rookie playes (excl Jarryd Allen) are:

* Archer
* Fisher
* Gaertner
* Hutchings
* McGrath
* Simpkin
* Walsh

If we are going to elevate a player I would like to see Tommy Walsh promoted as he might be a handy backup later in the year should we have form/injury issues with any of our backmen

Is there anyone else we should consider elevating onto ths senior list?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Potential Rookie Elevations after Rd 11 ??

One Eyed Saint wrote:After Round 11 under AFL rules we have the option to elevate a rookie should we have a player who will be on the LTI for the rest of the year.

If Luke Miles injury puts him out for the rest of the year then this gives the chance to promote a rookie.

* Archer
* Fisher
* Gaertner
* Hutchings
* McGrath
* Simpkin
* Walsh

If we are going to elevate a player I would like to see Tommy Walsh promoted as he might be a handy backup later in the year should we have form/injury issues with any of our backmen

At the end of last year I would have said Simpkin however he's had a bad run with injuries this year and is just coming back.

I think with his Aussie Rules background Gaertner would probably be in front of Walsh at this stage but would probably only be considered if Ross thought we were going to have big problems with Dawson.

I know plugger's not that keen on the likes of me passing judgement on players I don't see each week ( :wink: ) but that's how I see things.

Once again looking forward to seeing the Zebs on the teev in a bit over 24 hours :D

shmic_s
Club Player

I'm pretty sure we could've already upgraded at least one rookie already.
So i think it will be unlikely to happen.
If any though, i would agree on Walsh and i would throw Gaertner in there too. Think Gaertner would be more likely if Will Johnson and Dawson perform poorly. Simpkin was looking good last year but had a few injuries this season. Hopefully can get himself right. The conditioning/fitness guys seem to be doing well at the Saints again this year. Gives the players a chance to give it their best shot.
Walsh is the wild card. Who knows how he'll go once thrown forward full time.
Haven't seen enough of Archer or Hutchings to comment on their chances.

saint58
Club Player

Re: Potential Rookie Elevations after Rd 11 ??

One Eyed Saint wrote:After Round 11 under AFL rules we have the option to elevate a rookie should we have a player who will be on the LTI for the rest of the year.

* Archer
* Fisher
* Gaertner
* Hutchings
* McGrath
* Simpkin
* Walsh

Very good post

S Gaertner I like as he has been good at Sandy this year and has been able to play at CHB and FB and the ruck.

Walsh has been good allso but i just dont know coming from a non footy background i have played Gaelic footy and its a lot different and takes time to adjust plus the pace of the game and the tackling at VFL v AFL a massive jump for someone with his background but i do like him see tomorrow.

Watch Hutchings i have herd he is hard at it and is a ball magnet has beenup and down dont think he is ready yet but what do i know ha.

Simpkin i really like he has put on a bit of bulk from last year and hasnt been doing that well but the more he plays the better he gets can play at CHB,FB so is verstile not as big as Gaertner but still is good.

Blake Mcgrath is a massive kid not much size but is very tall.Has only been playing footy for a few seasons but did play in Sandy first a few times last year but has been injuried this year more of a project player i would say.

Well Archer is a big unit 98kg at 193cm and 19 from Tassie.He has had a few games at CHF and kicked a few goals I think he had a game where he got 3 goals either at FF or CHF dont know how he moves but in the first year definatly one to watch.

Legendary
Club Player

Definitely be Gaertner.

Lyon is a huge wrap apparently.

robbo_25
Club Player

gaertner i reckon. showed some promising signs in the nab cup this year

robbo
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Gaertner is more of a project player than Walsh. His low skill levels, off the back of a footballing background, means he will be a slow progresser.

Simpkin's had physical problems. Others don't figure, except...

The Irishman is making rapid ground. From being potted by some pre-season, he's now racked up 4 Sandy bests in a row. Some said his Gaelic style kicking around corners early doors meant he would never make it. Now he's being praised for the depth of his kicking to teammates 55m away.

Walsh will play in the next 6 weeks, if he holds his Sandy form. One reason - Ross Lyon is a stickler for rewarding effort and performance. If Walsh holds his Sandy form he will play because HE WILL DESERVE TO. That's what the Boss does.

And I look forward to Walsh's debut because he is a learner with a bullet, apart from the fact he is one of the best physical specimens I've seen. He is a power athlete with ball sense - what else do we need a prospect to have?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Gaertner is more of a project player than Walsh. His low skill levels, off the back of a footballing background, means he will be a slow progresser.

Simpkin's had physical problems. Others don't figure, except...

The Irishman is making rapid ground. From being potted by some pre-season, he's now racked up 4 Sandy bests in a row. Some said his Gaelic style kicking around corners early doors meant he would never make it. Now he's being praised for the depth of his kicking to teammates 55m away.

Walsh will play in the next 6 weeks, if he holds his Sandy form. One reason - Ross Lyon is a stickler for rewarding effort and performance. If Walsh holds his Sandy form he will play because HE WILL DESERVE TO. That's what the Boss does.

And I look forward to Walsh's debut because he is a learner with a bullet, apart from the fact he is one of the best physical specimens I've seen. He is a power athlete with ball sense - what else do we need a prospect to have?
Every time I manage to convince myself to be patient with Tommy a post like this comes along!

Thanks a lot TOT!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:The Irishman is making rapid ground. From being potted by some pre-season, he's now racked up 4 Sandy bests in a row. Some said his Gaelic style kicking around corners early doors meant he would never make it. Now he's being praised for the depth of his kicking to teammates 55m away.

agree. he's got every attribute to make it, especially football instincts. gaertner, too, looks very promising, but i'd be fast-tracking walsh first.

LoeweBrow
Club Player

For interest only...

Could any of the statistically minded amongst us find out what the lead up to Senior debut was for some of the other Irish crossover players floating around in the AFL at the moment...
Did they spend a few years in development in the VFL?
Were they elevated off the rookie list early as a means of encouragement/reward for effort?
How many VFL games did they have before getting a senior game?

Might give us a little perspective on what to expect...

"No comment IS a comment" - George Carlin
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Stynes played a year at Prahran before he stepped out for Melbourne. I dont think they had the rookie system back then though. I dont know about the others. Some have started in the 2nds like Tommy. I would be surprised if Tommy does NOT play senior AFL footy this season.

starsign
Club Player

Yep Tommys the Gun!!

and on a fast learning curve which is for the mathmaticians....
increasing at an increasing rate!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Jimmy Stynes played a year at Prahran before he stepped out for Melbourne. I dont think they had the rookie system back then though. I dont know about the others. Some have started in the 2nds like Tommy. I would be surprised if Tommy does NOT play senior AFL footy this season.
Tommy is learning the game well and improving with each game, but the only way he'll get a game this year is if we are out of finals contention or have massive injuries. Neither of which will happen.
I look forward to his debut next year after another full pre season.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

After watching Walsh today, I'm more convinced he will get a chance this year, for no other reason than he will have earnt it.

First start up forward. Led well and clunked all bar one. One grab stuff on the lead, where his speed means he earns the space in front of him.

I found it interesting that he seems to be learning many necessary facets pretty quickly. Left handed handballs were pretty good, particularly when he was running up the ground, yet dishing off to players closer to goal who were effectively behind him. That's not the easiest skill, yet he made a good fist of it. Also liked the way he didn't go to every contest, but positioned himself to be available in space. He's learning quickly.

Made 3 significant errors. Spilt one mark hitting up into midfield. Should have held it. When sent back he read an incoming ball well, yet coughed in up terribly. Made the same mistake a lot of players make, by trying to caress a short kick off one step. Like almost everyone else who tries it, lost his centre of gravity and tried to kick with his momentum moving backwards away from the ball. I have no doubt his skills coach will drum into him why the mistake happened. I doubt he'll do it again because, from all I hear, he is extremely disciplined and listens - that's why he's improving so rapidly. His third blue was not getting his arms set to mark an incoming ball about 20 out. Seemed to get a bit distracted by 2 opponents crossing laterally in front of him - not scared, distracted, and his arms didn't get set as a result. Remember, Gaelic footy (by comparison) doesn't have the number of aerial contests.

Watching him today, I was struck by the thought that he will go better when the quality of the game is better around him. His ability to earn space would be more rewarded by higher skilled delivery from upfield. I doubt many could run with him on a lead. He looks to the sort of player who would benefit from games where the team holds its structure better than what happens at VFL level. A game that flowed would suit him. There have always been players who get lost in the choppiness of games one level down, but put them up a level and the rhythym suits them. I reckon Walsh will be one of those.

I'm convinced he'll make it and he will get a chance this year because, and I iterate, he will earn it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:After watching Walsh today, I'm more convinced he will get a chance this year, for no other reason than he will have earnt it.

First start up forward. Led well and clunked all bar one. One grab stuff on the lead, where his speed means he earns the space in front of him.
natural forward and will be a gun

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Walsh surprised me. I didn't expect him to be so confident and he looked very much at ease. He still showed some signs of a player learning the game but he is well ahead of where I expected him to be. By the end of the season he could be competing for selection, but you don't want to be blooding untried players around the finals. A definite prospect for 2011.

Simpkin looked like a neat, clever defender with good timing. I wouldn't think he'd play this season but should be in line for promotion at the end of the year.

shmic_s
Club Player

[quote="The OtherThommo"Watching him today, I was struck by the thought that he will go better when the quality of the game is better around him. His ability to earn space would be more rewarded by higher skilled delivery from upfield. I doubt many could run with him on a lead. He looks to the sort of player who would benefit from games where the team holds its structure better than what happens at VFL level. A game that flowed would suit him. There have always been players who get lost in the choppiness of games one level down, but put them up a level and the rhythym suits them. I reckon Walsh will be one of those.[/quote]
I agree. He just seems to fit in. Looks like he is willing to learn. Improving each week.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the look of ease comes from him having a rock solid view of what he needs to do to succeed and sticking rigidly to his development plan. He's a cold, calculated fella, I reckon, with the eye of a dead fish fixed firmly on the goal. He seems to have real powers of concentration and a sound belief in himself, evidenced by not doing anything dumb by getting sidetracked.

I know I'm giving him big raps, maybe prematurely, but this fella has got something to offer. And, let's not forget, the Irish who know their game, and some of ours, have had no hesitation in saying he is the best credentialled Irishman to make the switch, and that includes Stynes. Tadgh Kennelly has no doubt Walsh will make it big time.

He's come a long way in a short time. Unless he's approaching the limits of his ability already, then there's way more improvement to come, and soon. I'm willing to bet he is nowhere near the limits of his ability. This is gonna be fun viewing.

battye
Saintsational Legend

How does he look in front of goal? What is his accuracy like? Is he a good kick (who could you compare him to)?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

He's at the stage of not looking likely, or unlikely, in front of goal. He seems to have been given a set preparation in front of goal, and he seems to be sticking to it. Given his apparent discipline, I reckon he'll stick to what he's been taught and will just improve the more opportunities he gets. His skills have come a long way in a short time, so he'll keep improving.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Already
Is co-ordinated
Takes marks
Gets the footy
Chases opponents

All things better than Kosi

Next week is against Richmond, Walsh should play instead of Kosi.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I reckon the look of ease comes from him having a rock solid view of what he needs to do to succeed and sticking rigidly to his development plan. He's a cold, calculated fella, I reckon, with the eye of a dead fish fixed firmly on the goal. He seems to have real powers of concentration and a sound belief in himself, evidenced by not doing anything dumb by getting sidetracked.
sounds like you're describing riewoldt or hayes there. that's the frame of mind of a champion. if walsh really has that then there's no way he can fail.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the TOMINATOR

Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 30 May 2010 5:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Sainter
Club Player

Watched Sandy on the TV and was impressed by Gaertner's attack in contested situations, he certainly is worth a try at fullback with the seniors at the moment. Walsh also impresses and although still a little raw will add needed pace and long kicking to the seniors when he gets his chance. I remember seeing Dal and Sam Fisher when starting out in the VFL with both impressing me as future senior players. These 2 also look likely future prospects as do a few others there too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I reckon the look of ease comes from him having a rock solid view of what he needs to do to succeed and sticking rigidly to his development plan. He's a cold, calculated fella, I reckon, with the eye of a dead fish fixed firmly on the goal. He seems to have real powers of concentration and a sound belief in himself, evidenced by not doing anything dumb by getting sidetracked.
sounds like you're describing riewoldt or hayes there. that's the frame of mind of a champion. if walsh really has that then there's no way he can fail.
elevate him off the rookies