media jumping to conclusions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

media jumping to conclusions

I've gone through the whole day dealing with the 'fact' that the incident involved two Saints players.

Now it seems it's not as simple as that.

My prediction this morning was: if it comes out that any players from teams like Brisbane or Essendon are also involved, the AFL and media will bury the story!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: media jumping to conclusions

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I've gone through the whole day dealing with the 'fact' that the incident involved two Saints players.

My prediction this morning was: if it comes out that any players from teams like Brisbane or Essendon are also involved, the AFL and media will bury the story!
Yes they are after us. Do you spend the whole day jumping at shadows?

maz1685
Club Player

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I've gone through the whole day dealing with the 'fact' that the incident involved two Saints players.

It would have been the same media beat up regardless of whichever team was involved. As for the AFL, they cleared St Kilda players, so clearly not being targeted by them. Too many "victim" mentalities I reckon.

I say we look forward to Saturday's match and give the team the support that they deserve.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wednesday is a slow footy news day.....team selections on Thursday is a bit bigger, but remember also that this round is Top 8 vs Bottom 8.

There are NO games between two top 8 sides!

This is very rare!

So, they are desperate for footy news stories unrelated to actual footy this week!

SideshowMilne
Club Player

I urge everyone to use mediawatch@your.abc.net.au to report the anomolies of the farce.

three I have noted

only bigpond had the guts to name the second club
http://210.247.128.102/news/tabid/281/n ... fault.aspx

channel seven reported and promoed that the girl 'had fallen pregenant to a st kilda player'

derryn hinch banged on about the crime. Not knowing the law.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I disagree. This is the tip of the iceberg.

There is an extraordinary hidden shame in this country.

People are having babies. And the government knows it.

Do something. Think of the children

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:I urge everyone to use mediawatch@your.abc.net.au to report the anomolies of the farce.

three I have noted

only bigpond had the guts to name the second club
http://210.247.128.102/news/tabid/281/n ... fault.aspx

channel seven reported and promoed that the girl 'had fallen pregenant to a st kilda player'

derryn hinch banged on about the crime. Not knowing the law.
He should know. He's been in jail a few times!

Another opportunity awaits!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Seems like EVERYONE was jumping to conclusions before the players were cleared not just the media. It's called GOSSIP.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think the principal probably meant well, but I'd say the story was leaked as a result of his over zealous, yet protective nature of one of his students?

As Mike Sheahan put it so well, this somehow resulted in "a media throng armed with an increasingly ravenous appetite for scandal" not that his paper played any part of course.

I won't lie and say my curiousity didn't bring me along to SS yesterday morning though. :oops:

St Michele
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:I disagree. This is the tip of the iceberg.

There is an extraordinary hidden shame in this country.

People are having babies. And the government knows it.

Do something. Think of the children
The change in non nuptual pregnancies shows more people are having babies before getting married . There seems more having them knowing the fatherof the child (whether this is bacuase of DNA testing)

There are also no ages on this graph and the father unknown statistic has not changed over the years.

I am not sure this is a hidden shame young teenagers have sex (it is normal human behaviour) and get pregnant it has happened for generations, the difference is now the young women are not shipped off to relatives and forced to adopt babies out or get married.

Normally young men walk away ( I know with child support) and the young women's lives are changed forever. Being a young single mother is not an easy thing to do and having worked with a few over the years not a life choice either, it is normally the result of a set of circumstances in which the young women often has little control.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

maz1685 wrote:I say we look forward to Saturday's match and give the team the support that they deserve.
I agree.

The AFL will not pursue this. The saints players have been cleared. No illegal activity has transpired. Maybe the media should have made such investigations prior to the release of yet another stkilda bashing opportunity.

Get out there on the weekend and smash the crows back to where they come from. :evil:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Well - speaking of the media - some of you are now famous:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -wco7.html

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
St Michele
Club Player

Yes and not willingly.....

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

It's ok, everyone is talking about the smoking baby today.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It's ok, everyone is talking about the smoking baby today.
The media will make up a story that St.Kilda is in the race to recruit the kid!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

St Michele wrote: The change in non nuptual pregnancies shows more people are having babies before getting married . There seems more having them knowing the fatherof the child (whether this is bacuase of DNA testing)

There are also no ages on this graph and the father unknown statistic has not changed over the years.

I am not sure this is a hidden shame young teenagers have sex (it is normal human behaviour) and get pregnant it has happened for generations, the difference is now the young women are not shipped off to relatives and forced to adopt babies out or get married.

Normally young men walk away ( I know with child support) and the young women's lives are changed forever. Being a young single mother is not an easy thing to do and having worked with a few over the years not a life choice either, it is normally the result of a set of circumstances in which the young women often has little control.
I thinks there is a couple of very interesting points in there. One, the girls do have a large amount of control over the most inportant aspect of the whole situation - whether or not their knees stay together !!

But you made a reference to girls being shipped off and adoptions etc that is really relevant. There is a clear trend towards children outside of marriage. Is the removal of that stigma previously carried by prenuptial pregnancy to our society's detriment? Was there such a grave social risk for young women in casual sex that they chose abstinence and thus enforced abstinence upon the young men also? Was there a greater incidence of "Shotgun" weddings that forced young men to accept responsibility beyond simple financials, whereas now there is child support and single parents pensions and no social stigma, so as long as the child support cheque is in the mail, the young man is off the hook parentally.

Where does all this waffle lead? Well there is strong evidence evolving that the increased violence in our society directly correlates to the increased incidence of boys being raised without fathers.......... :idea:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
markp wrote:It's ok, everyone is talking about the smoking baby today.
The media will make up a story that St.Kilda is in the race to recruit the kid!
I think we should send him a membership pack at least, he's taken the searing media spotlight and national attention away from the club... but where was the little bugger yesterday??