Between now and round 16...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Between now and round 16...

Adelaide- H
Richmond- A
Fremantle- A
Geelong- H
Melbourne- H
Brisbane- A

Four very winnable games, 1 possible, and 1 maybe (on a very good night)... leaving us anywhere from 10-5 to 12-3 by round 16 (filth at the G) and the return of Roo.

Predictions?

I think we'll be top 4 by the time our captain returns (and yes, I'm obviously assuming he'll be back round 16)... I dont think finishing the season on top is likely, but 2nd is a distinct possibility.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

11-4: 2nd spot !!
Last edited by Eastern on Mon 24 May 2010 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Need you ask? :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Need you ask? :wink:
I wanna hear it! :wink:

In the top 4 when Roo returns would be freaking awesome....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

10-5 sitting sixth but have managed to get us into third after round 22. Worst thing though is I have Freo second. Surely that cannot happen. It is easy to fix though. We beat them over there and they probably cannot finishe second.

noob
Club Player

with the last month of footy who knows. one week at a time. could end up worse than predicted.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I ran through a ladder predictor yesterday and had us second, with Freo falling away, but Geelong clear on top.

Long way to go yet, and nothing is certain for anyone, but gee Geelong are looking impressive.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintpeter
Club Player

I think we would win 5 out of 6 of those games. Geelong is the greatest challenge.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday was a good win, but we still played crap for 2 and a bit quarters, fortunately West Coast weren't much better.
Next week is a big game for us, we need to reproduce that form of yesterday and do it for more of the game.
If we are indeed back than we really have to make an example of both Adelaide and Richmond over the next 2 weeks.
We can't just win, we need to win with authority and re find that form that made us feared, not just respected.
Then come two big weeks, if we can knock off either Freo or Geelong we are truely back in the hunt, get both of them and we're the serious threat again and become the team to beat.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

After the last few weeks, I am now thinking a week at a time. All teams have had their ups and downs this season. Last year there were two teams that were 13-0. This year, we are 6-3 and only one game behind the top team. That does help us a little, because teams seem to be having bursts.

One thing is we should not plan around Roo being back. Even when he comes back, he will take time to get into gear.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

i dont think we were crap yesterday... yes our attack wasnt working and we fumbled but our defence more then held up in the first half...
we played with mroe and more confidence the longer the game went on... which is a massive plus.. the boys seem in great spirit now and could really be a plus going into a mixed period...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:After the last few weeks, I am now thinking a week at a time. All teams have had their ups and downs this season. Last year there were two teams that were 13-0. This year, we are 6-3 and only one game behind the top team. That does help us a little, because teams seem to be having bursts.

One thing is we should not plan around Roo being back. Even when he comes back, he will take time to get into gear.
Definitely one week at a time.

We just have to do enough. Keep winning. Just keep winning as many as we can.......Until the big blonde bloke is right.

This next month is absolutely crucial IMO. Spewing that we lost to Port and Essendon. We should not have dropped those games.

No reason that we cannot win five or so of the next six.

Seriously, if we can do that, then the injury to Roo just might be somewhat of a blessing in disguise. If we can win 80% of games without him, then that is a superb effort.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shmic_s
Club Player

I would expect a minimum 4 wins. 5 if we are getting into some form, 6 you would be very happy with.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Unless we turn that 3qtr against Eagles into 4 qtrs we will struggle.

Stanley did give us structure - we could at least allow Fisher our best defender to defend stifling the fast break syndrome.

But that manic 2009 frontal pressure still aint back - the weekend Hawks bought their 2008 game out and flogged Carlton.....that intensity was ours last year.

Reiwoldts the cream and will take time when he comes back.

On current form I reckon we will go 10-5 at rd 16.....love to wrong though.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I would be delighted if we win 4 out of 6.

Don't get too confident after just one win.

markp
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:i dont think we were crap yesterday... yes our attack wasnt working and we fumbled but our defence more then held up in the first half...
we played with mroe and more confidence the longer the game went on... which is a massive plus.. the boys seem in great spirit now and could really be a plus going into a mixed period...
I agree, I thought we were doing most things right, but just turning the ball over too often in our forward 50 and not capitalising on our chances... same goes for much of the bombers game.

What's most satisfying is that we seem to be building momentum and seeing signs of continuity, which is what it's all about....

In an odd way I'm excited that we are yet to bring the intensity of our A+ game... last year we were almost too good too soon.

We all know that level of intensity is there waiting to come out... as is a once in a generation champion.

I've got a feeling we may take the points against Freo, and anything is possible against the Cats.

But first, the Crows!.

None of them will be easy.... (except Richmond)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Yesterday was a good win, but we still played crap for 2 and a bit quarters.
correct.

forward efficiency is still our biggest problem.

we went inside 50 eight more times than them in the first half but trailed by a goal at half time.

our comeback coincided with goddard being moved forward in the third and mcevoy providing a viable marking target. this lifted the midfield and encouraged quicker and more direct movement of the ball.

kosi is a worry. i wouldn't drop him, but i'd consider giving him more time in the ruck and mcevoy more time forward.

and get goddard forward as often as we can possibly afford. this is a no brainer imo.

otherwise we will continue to struggle to kick winning scores, even against poor teams.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Well an injury riddled Crows outfit, in Melbourne, should be the sort of game that lets the boys sharpen their claws on some easier prey. Along with the Tiggers the following week it gives our boys a slightly easier run and the chance to really build up the confidence again in themselves and each other.
I think the fact that we ended up with the toughest draw in the first 6 rounds, coupled with our obvious obstacles of key injuries, really sapped the confidence in the past month.
The guys were having to work just as hard, if not harder, than last season, but weren't getting the results. That's got to create doubt in minds, hestation (which compounds the problem) and cause heads to drop. They are human beings after all, with all the frailities and failings that we have.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Well an injury riddled Crows outfit, in Melbourne, should be the sort of game that lets the boys sharpen their claws on some easier prey. Along with the Tiggers the following week it gives our boys a slightly easier run and the chance to really build up the confidence again in themselves and each other.
I think the fact that we ended up with the toughest draw in the first 6 rounds, coupled with our obvious obstacles of key injuries, really sapped the confidence in the past month.
The guys were having to work just as hard, if not harder, than last season, but weren't getting the results. That's got to create doubt in minds, hestation (which compounds the problem) and cause heads to drop. They are human beings after all, with all the frailities and failings that we have.
Yeah, Vince and Knights not playing, Johncock still out I think?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Did the ladder predictor.

Had us finishing 5th with 15 wins...to play Hawthorn week one of finals.

Bring back the Lockett era
SaintHomer
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:I would be delighted if we win 4 out of 6.

Don't get too confident after just one win.
agreed. i think we'll be 9-6 with losses to freo (hard to beat at home) and cats (clearly the best at the moment). given our form, maybe one other loss, most likely to brisbane as they are hard to beat at home even with their injuries.

i think we need to plan without riewoldt, too much is being put on his return which is by no means a certainty.

i'm hoping we can finish the season strongly and in form (like hawks did in 08) and then anything can happen. we have the cattle, just gotta get thing right.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote: In an odd way I'm excited that we are yet to bring the intensity of our A+ game... last year we were almost too good too soon.
BINGO!

I don't think it is a form slump that we have experienced so far this year. I think it is more to do with their fitness regime. IMO, they are being conditioned to be in their prime for the second half of the season. Unfortunately, with Roo and Gram injured, it has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

We were SENSATIONAL for the first 10 weeks last year, but we declined in the 2nd half of the season. We were still playing good footy, but nowhere at the same level.
markp wrote:We all know that level of intensity is there waiting to come out... as is a once in a generation champion.
Scary thought for some opposition teams, don't you think? We have managed to beat all of the teams above us so far (with the exception of Geelong) and we have not yet hit our straps.
markp wrote: I've got a feeling we may take the points against Freo, and anything is possible against the Cats.
Nope, I have pencilled in a loss against the Cats! History clearly shows that the team who wins the face-off in the H&A season seems to go on and lose in the GF rematch. I am more than happy for us to lose this by a goal. There seems to be something to this hoodoo, even though I scoffed at it last year......
markp wrote: None of them will be easy....
Couldn't agree more. Great thing about our game is that the best team will win on the day, regardless of their ladder position (Richmond included).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I think we will be 9-6 at the end of round 15, dropping two of Freo, geelong and Brisbane and one of Adelaide, Richmond, Melbourne while winning the rest. Anything better than that is great. I would like to win more but I'm trying to be realistic, given out current form, we're likely to drop one of those matches we shouldn't.

Ladder Predictor had us 9-6 after 15 rounds, with us being in fifth place but worse than that, TWO games behind the fourth placed team, meaning we'd have an uphill battle.