NSW Scholarship Players.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

NSW Scholarship Players.

The club has the following listed as our NSW Scholarship players.

Duncan, Josh 183 76 21.06.91 Yet to Debut Pennant Hills Demons
Ferguson, Jackson 189 71 23.10.92 Yet to Debut Holroyd-Parramatta Goannas
Murphy, Kane 168 60 01.12.92 Yet to Debut St. Ignatius College Riverview
Widmer, Ted 191 80 31.01.91 Yet to Debut Pennant Hills

I thought we had finished with some of these boys, namely Duncan and Widmer.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: NSW Scholarship Players.

borderbarry wrote:The club has the following listed as our NSW Scholarship players.

Duncan, Josh 183 76 21.06.91 Yet to Debut Pennant Hills Demons
Ferguson, Jackson 189 71 23.10.92 Yet to Debut Holroyd-Parramatta Goannas
Murphy, Kane 168 60 01.12.92 Yet to Debut St. Ignatius College Riverview
Widmer, Ted 191 80 31.01.91 Yet to Debut Pennant Hills

I thought we had finished with some of these boys, namely Duncan and Widmer.
Gee, that Kane Murphy just won't grow will he! :lol:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You would reckon the club would have re measured him since signing him at 15 would'nt you.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sure hope he is bigger!!

He got big wraps for a game the other day.

One commentator started saying would be a likely father son pick-up, before the other chimed if with him being tied to the Saints via the Scholarship program. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Sure hope he is bigger!!

He got big wraps for a game the other day.

One commentator started saying would be a likely father son pick-up, before the other chimed if with him being tied to the Saints via the Scholarship program. :wink:
Players have been known to get growth spurts.

I reckon the club's playing games here and that he's actually shot up to Rhys Stanley like height.

Soon it will be Rhys & Kane dominating all over the ground (ably assisted by Tommy Walsh of course :wink: )

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We have enough big men. Good to see a future small man tied up.

goodie
Club Player

According to the GWS TAC Cup team list:

5. Kane MURPHY, DOB 1-12-92, 171 cm, Riverview
43. Jackson FERGUSON, DOB 23-10-92, 192 cm, Sydney University
47. Joshua DUNCAN, DOB 21-6-91, 186 cm, Pennant Hills

Josh Duncan's not listed as a St Kilda scholarship, Widmer's not listed at all

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Duncan and Widmer were due to come onto Saints rookie list last year but we did not pick them up. That is why I cant understand why we still have them listed as NSW Scholarship players.

goodie
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I thought Duncan and Widmer were due to come onto Saints rookie list last year but we did not pick them up. That is why I cant understand why we still have them listed as NSW Scholarship players.
I think it's laziness on the part of the Saints website, according to the official list we only have Murphy and Ferguson

AFL NSW/ACT website

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Have any of the NSW scholarship players progressed to a successful AFL career,are any of them likely to.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
sainter35
Club Player

It's still very much in it's infancy but the players who have graduated from the program and played senior footy include Taylor Walker at Adelaide and Ryan Davis from West Coast.

If anybody here has any information on the current progress of Kane Murphy I'd be interested to hear it. Accepting the scholarship from St Kilda and resisting the overtures from the club where his Dad served with distinction must have been a pretty big decision.

saint58
Club Player

NO spots left on rookie list

borderbarry wrote:I thought Duncan and Widmer were due to come onto Saints rookie list last year but we did not pick them up. That is why I cant understand why we still have them listed as NSW Scholarship players.

Yes they were but we had to redraft on the rookie list leigh fisher (delisted),Jarrard Allen (retired) i think for financial reasons allen is not playing and fisher will not get a game in the firsts no matter how bad we go i hear.

Junior
Club Player

Murphy has kicked 7 goals over the last two weeks for GWS in the TAC Cup

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
goodie
Club Player

Re: NO spots left on rookie list

sainter35 wrote:It's still very much in it's infancy but the players who have graduated from the program and played senior footy include Taylor Walker at Adelaide and Ryan Davis from West Coast.

If anybody here has any information on the current progress of Kane Murphy I'd be interested to hear it. Accepting the scholarship from St Kilda and resisting the overtures from the club where his Dad served with distinction must have been a pretty big decision.
Actually Sydney didn't offer him a scholarship, surprising seeing as they've signed just about every other kid in NSW (10 currently).

Makes sense to accept the offer of assistance from the Saints, keep as many doors open as possible. No draft lottery for him, he'll be in a rare position of being able to accept a spot with us (NSW scholarship), Sydney (father/son), and Gold Coast and/or Western Sydney (their ridiculous concessions).

backit
Club Player

I played with his father David in the old Shell Cup back in the mid 70's, I was living in Deniliquin and he was from Finley and we represented Western Riverina. David as a 15 - 18 year old was not overly tall about 170 - 175 cms and then he went and worked in the NAB over in Wagga and had a growth spurt ending up around 182cms when he was 19 and then onto the Swans.

There is hope that his son will have the same spurt.

sainter35
Club Player

Re: NO spots left on rookie list

goodie wrote:
sainter35 wrote:It's still very much in it's infancy but the players who have graduated from the program and played senior footy include Taylor Walker at Adelaide and Ryan Davis from West Coast.

Actually Sydney didn't offer him a scholarship, surprising seeing as they've signed just about every other kid in NSW (10 currently).

Makes sense to accept the offer of assistance from the Saints, keep as many doors open as possible. No draft lottery for him, he'll be in a rare position of being able to accept a spot with us (NSW scholarship), Sydney (father/son), and Gold Coast and/or Western Sydney (their ridiculous concessions).
Oh, thanks for that info goodie.

It would be disappointing if he did choose to sign with the Swans (or GWS) after the opportunities that the club have given him but by the same token we were aware of the risk at the time we selected him as one of our NSW scholarship players.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Club's put these kids on scholarships because the AFL was paying for them through the clubs.
Club's took up the AFL offer.
Then the AFL created a special rookie category for former NSW scholarship holders, and not charged against the salary cap.
Club's took up this option giving them special rookie places.

Now the AFL has dropped the scholarship payments ahead of GWS.
Clubs also discovered that most turned out to be like Khan Haretuku never much better than VFL reserves standard.
St Kilda could have taken both Widner and Duncan but considered neither worth the cost to budget of a rookie place.
Duncan having a serious injury did not help his cause.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We still have Blake McGrath. Has he any chance of making it or will he be cast aside this year?