Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5865734126

IF YOU offered the typical St Kilda supporter two wishes, Nick Riewoldt's immediate return from injury would be a unanimous first choice, followed closely by an immediate release for Raf Clarke.
Clarke has the quirky habit of infuriating his own supporters. There's one at every club, and they're called whipping boys.

He can be good, as you would expect of a first-round draft choice who has played 61 games, including last year's Grand Final.

Equally, he can be bad, embarrassingly so. The opening minutes of that Grand Final and his tangle with Geelong's Max Rooke.

Even coach Ross Lyon describes him as lovable one day, lamentable the next.

"He's one of Denis Pagan's 'girl with the curl'," Lyon told the Herald Sun. Adapting the nursery rhyme, when he's good, he's very, very good, when he's bad, he's horrid.

"We thought he was really good against the (Western) Bulldogs, we thought he certainly struggled on the weekend. His best is very good. In form, he's in our best 22. Clearly.

"He played some really good footy last year, the preliminary final, Round 19 (Hawthorn); he was really good against Collingwood in the (semi) final in '08.

"We rate him, he's a good person, he's building. We still think the best is in front of him."

Clarke, 24, is a frustrating, intriguing player in his seventh season with the Saints after being taken at No. 8 in the 2003 national draft.

He and elder brother Xavier, St Kilda's first-round draft choice two years earlier, were tipped to be stars. Great kids, heaps of talent, lots of promise.

Now, Xavier is trying to reboot his career with the Brisbane Lions, while Raphael is fighting to stay in St Kilda's senior team.

Lyon says Clarke can look casual and creates problems by "overplaying" certain situations, by trying to be perfect.

Which takes him perilously close to clanger territory.

"He's a good preparer and he's an elite talent, lightning quick, deceptively quick. It's just that consistency at the level. His intensity fluctuates. His best is his run and his creativity, and his ability to roll off his opponent," Lyon said.

"He cops some unfair criticism, but we need him to be more consistent than he's been."

The rangy defender isn't a certainty to hold his place tonight for Sunday's game against Essendon, although his pace is likely to save him for at least another week.

"He's no certainty, he knows that."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

good call. he had a crack and got a bit of the ball. the problem with him is that people remember only the mistakes and not the good things.

he has to learn to back his natural insticts and go with his first thought. i reckon he could be a surprise in the midfield. big bodied and quick hands.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

bigcarl wrote:good call. he had a crack and got a bit of the ball. the problem with him is that people remember only the mistakes and not the good things.

he has to learn to back his natural insticts and go with his first thought. i reckon he could be a surprise in the midfield. big bodied and quick hands.
as I said in another thread I agree totally with the coach, clarkes problem is that he wants to make the perfect pass to many times. This is not possible in the fast paced tackling environment that is 2010 football. He would have got away with this even a couple of years ago. Needs to work with the coaches to develop a couple instintive ways to get a pass to a safe area when forced to. Similar to what jones has done when he is under pressure on his right foot.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Why is he saying "Raf" not "Raph"?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Why does the picture with the article say he is the one on the right? :roll:

kos
Club Player

Its funny ross can single out 3 good games and 1 is as far back as 08!

So that makes it 3 good ones out of about 30. Enough to hold a place?

Ask matt maguire if thats fair!

quidnunc
Club Player

It's not much to hang your hat on - is it?

If the coach has to go back to '08 to remember a really good game no wonder supporters struggle.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Its funny ross can single out 3 good games and 1 is as far back as 08!

You think Raph Clarke was the player stopping Goose getting in the team last year?

If do, I think you have it wrong.

Goose was/still is a KPP, not a flanker.
He's not mobile, agile or fast enough to play on anything other than a 'monster' key forward. (Can you imgine him trying to play on Roo?)

If anyone was keeping him out of the team last year it was Jason Blake, who also can play many other positions on the field othe than the KPP that Goose was limited to.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

kos wrote:Its funny ross can single out 3 good games and 1 is as far back as 08!

Disingenuous much?

One recent game as an example, and 2 finals. Decent examples, with no statement of exclusivity.

This is what happens with Raph - on Friday night (and the pictured tackle with the article is a good example) - Gwilt missed the ball, Carlton gathered it, and Raph layed a tackle.

It was Raph's fault.

Nick Dal Santo runs out of the backline, looks up, see's nothing forward and goes sideways to raph with a high arcing ball, forcing Raph to sit under it. A fast moving Carlton player spoils. Turnover. Goal.

It was Raph's fault.

The much made of grand final Max Rooke tackle. Max Rooke was tagging Sam Fisher. Fisher brought his tagger to the contest didn't shepherd, and didn't get clear for a handball. Somehow Raph is mown down by surprise, leading one to believe there wasn't even any talk...

That's right, it was (famously) Raph's fault.

Raphael Clarke makes visible clangers on the footy field. It's a problem. The extent to which he gets whipped is disproportional though, and generally displays as much context and understanding as the above - absolutely ridiculous - quote.

The guys who sit behind me swore that if Clarke was selected this week, they wouldn't show up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Was it Blake or Fisher who didn't give the Raph the kick the bloody thing call?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would agree with Ross on this one he is a really good player at times and an ordinary one at others. Blake was probably similar 3 or 4 years ago seemed to have an occasionally bad passage of play which would taint his whole game.

He and Rooey got us back into the bulldogs prelim and got us into the Grand Final IMO. His worst passage in the Carlton game was his hand pass to Sam Fisher when he had a player ready to tackle him, but then there was some irony in the fact that Fisher was on the end of it.

I still think most saints fans back Raph though, only the loud mouths go after him.

markp
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Disingenuous much?

One recent game as an example, and 2 finals. Decent examples, with no statement of exclusivity.

This is what happens with Raph - on Friday night (and the pictured tackle with the article is a good example) - Gwilt missed the ball, Carlton gathered it, and Raph layed a tackle.

It was Raph's fault.

Nick Dal Santo runs out of the backline, looks up, see's nothing forward and goes sideways to raph with a high arcing ball, forcing Raph to sit under it. A fast moving Carlton player spoils. Turnover. Goal.

It was Raph's fault.

The much made of grand final Max Rooke tackle. Max Rooke was tagging Sam Fisher. Fisher brought his tagger to the contest didn't shepherd, and didn't get clear for a handball. Somehow Raph is mown down by surprise, leading one to believe there wasn't even any talk...

Raphael Clarke makes visible clangers on the footy field. It's a problem. The extent to which he gets whipped is disproportional though, and generally displays as much context and understanding as the above - absolutely ridiculous - quote.

The guys who sit behind me swore that if Clarke was selected this week, they wouldn't show up.

Totally agree (except it was Monday night, not Friday!)....

If Raph is on the end of a diabolical handball or kick and doesn't take it cleanly... or has to make amends for someone else's stuff up, but doesn't... he cops it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Disingenuous much?

It was Raph's fault.

It was Raph's fault.

Nailed it BAM! 8-)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Good on you Ross Lyon for sticking by your player.

Some questioned RL's loyalty to the Saints cause when he came from Sydney.

Seems he has more loyalty and empathy for his playes than so called supporters of the club.

Well done RL tell the idiots to f off.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintlee
Club Player

I'm no Raph basher, but geee I hold my breath every time he gets the ball....I want him to develop into a consistant, solid footballer at AFL level.....but i remain unconvinced

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ralphsmith wrote:Image

Thanks for that!

Freeze it, go to seconds 10, 11, 12 and 13.

10, Raph cruising by himself.

11, Fisher cruises through (on still you can see it's #25)

12, Fishers tag - Rooke comes into view

13, Raph tackled from behind.

Fisher either needs to call for the ball (if he thinks he's clear), shepherd/not bring Rooke in if he's not going to be able to get clear, or at the very least let Raph know he's hot.

It's case in point with Raph. Clearly, he's not blameless. However, his biggest problem is that he's the visible face of the error, not it's sole owner.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

snoopygirl wrote:Why does the picture with the article say he is the one on the right? :roll:
Bloody paper can't tell one blackfella from another :shock:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:It's case in point with Raph. Clearly, he's not blameless. However, his biggest problem is that he's the visible face of the error, not it's sole owner.
I was shaking my head and uttering swear words at Fisher over that picture, not Raph. Suprisingly poor effort from #25, put it down to GF nerves. Later, I put the entire game down to GF nerves.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Thanks for that!

Fisher either needs to call for the ball (if he thinks he's clear), shepherd/not bring Rooke in if he's not going to be able to get clear, or at the very least let Raph know he's hot.

It's case in point with Raph. Clearly, he's not blameless. However, his biggest problem is that he's the visible face of the error, not it's sole owner.
Thanks for the analysis BAM!

This is a sad reflection on the bile spewed by the Raph haters. If Raph was treated fairly by the masses, and by that I don't mean that everyone has to love him, such analysis would not even be required.

I'll respect anyone who thinks Raph is not up to it, even though I'll disagree, but I'll never respect anyone who speaks of him in language they would not use to describe a member of their own family.

The Saints after all are our family!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Thanks for that!

Exaclty!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Disingenuous much?

It was Raph's fault.

It was Raph's fault.

Raph is the common player in all the examples you detailed... Make the connection...

I am by no means a Raph basher, I have supported him for years, but this year my opinion has turned and I would prefer him out of the side...

The way Eddie Betts outmarked him going back with the flight on Monday night is indicative of his problem... He just approached the contest softly and didnt take the game head on and with confidence...

He has had years to gain the confidence and experience needed, yet he seems to be going backwards... There is only so many years one can be excused for being inexperienced and raw... He is now niether...

As for the Grand Final run down, putting the blame on Fisher is riduclous.. Raph had the ball in his hands for enough time to be able to make a decision or dispose... It was a Grand Final for crying out loud, the most urgent and pressured of all games, yet he was a deer in headlights... I didnt hang him for it at the time, but blaming Fisher is truely protecting a player in spite of the reality...

Saintsfan
Club Player

Certainly not. However this has nothing to do with Matt Maguire.

Defenders of Raph continue to bring up those instances however that is two games last year and one the year before.

Great so technically we should get at least one good game out of him.

The Saintsfan Cometh
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:As for the Grand Final run down, putting the blame on Fisher is riduclous...
Not ridiculous...accurate.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:

Certainly not. However this has nothing to do with Matt Maguire.

Defenders of Raph continue to bring up those instances however that is two games last year and one the year before.

Great so technically we should get at least one good game out of him.
So Ross was supposed to reel off every one of Raph's good games for the team over the last 7 years to satisfy you? Get a grip.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is more of a concern for me than Clarke

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!