Changes for this week Sunday vs Essendon.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Splayd
Club Player

Changes for this week Sunday vs Essendon.

I know that there are many threads about the changes this week (Drop Kosi!!! WTF!!) so I thought I’d throw in my 2c worth.

I think we all agree that last night was a below par performance. We got blown off the park in terms of pace and we all saw that the Saints will probably miss Max as a big bodied defender more than we thought. However it also presents an opportunity to change the squad up as it is always harder to change a winning team. Personally against the Bombers this week we could be found out for pace again which is why I reckon a minimum of 3 changes may be needed (including King who has done a hammy)

Side for last night.

St Kilda
B: Gwilt, Dawson, Gilbert
HB: Baker, Fisher, Clarke
C: Jones, Dal Santo, Ray
HF: McQualter, Brendon Goddard, Schneider
F: Geary, Koschitzke, Milne
Foll: Gardiner, Hayes, Montagna
I/C: Blake, Gram, King, Steven

I reckon this should be the side for next Sunday.

St Kilda
HB: Baker, Fisher, Gram
HF: Peake, Goddard, Schneider
I/C: Blake, Stanley, Armitage, Steven

1. Stanley in for King. Although not a ruckman, Gardiner I think can account for Hille (who is ordinary around the ground - 2 kicks last week) and make him accountable up forward, with Blake pinch hitting (I know I know) and Kosi in the ruck. With Stanley it won’t hurt us as much to swing Kosi into the ruck against Ryder/Hille for 10 mins per quarter to rest Gardiner and leave Stanley forward along with the swing man Goddard. Big Mac’s speed worries me against this mob. It also brings Kosi into it.

2. Peake in for Mini. Mini was one of our most important players last year but is out of touch – a run in the magoos early in the season won’t hurt and Peake’s pace will help against the Bombers. I know he hasn’t been in terrific form for Sandy (who was with the weekends belting by Port) but he adds a good outside presence.

3. Armo for Raph. Not like for like but with Gram back, Fisher, Gilbert and Gwilt we have enough rebounding players from the back half – this is Raphs role as he really can’t play key position. Armo is an in and under player which will relieve the pressure of Hayes who IMHO was the only real in-and-under we had last night. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t playing against the blues. His form, whilst not scintillating, has been alright and would’ve been valuable against the Carlton Mids.

Possibly one final change would be Big Mac in, out Dawson and rely on Blake as the FB. But again I’d be worried about pace with this one.

Of the other fringes Steven and Geary have shown enough (Steven looks like he will be a player with 20 odd games under his belt) and Dawson I reckon offers value against Gumbleton this week. I also don’t mind him as a lead up (not all the time) whilst roo is gone as like Kosi he creates a contest for Milne and Schneids to feed off. Essendon had over 400 possessions last week in a loss and Carlton had under 400 and belted us. IMHO this is a major worry for this week and something that needs to be looked at.

Gathering converts in Frogland..
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dawson has had a poor season so far. Let him find form in the Twos. I would promote and play Gaertner in preference to Dawson.
You only dropped Clarke and McQualter? King is out injured. I thought there were about 8 players worse than Raph last night. McQualter needs to find form in the twos as well.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

McQualter was a long way from being the worst last night, and he had a terrific game against the Dogs the week before. I really don't understand why he has suddenly become a favourite whipping boy on this forum.

Raph is definitely on the cusp, but Dawson was arguably worse and we arguably don't need him in our matchups against the Bombers, so he could be the backline guy to make way.

Armo a definite in, along with Eddy, so Raph/Zac and Steven to go for mine. I'd say Zac rather than Raph.

If King is out next week (is that certain?) then one of McEvoy or Stanley to come in. It's a gamble, but I reckon they could give Stanley a go.

Then we need another forward. I have suggested Heyne in other threads. If Lynch was fit, I'd want it to be him. Who goes out? Geary, I reckon: perhaps a bit unfair, but he hasn't really been delivering enough.

IN: Armitage, Eddy, Heyne, Stanley
OUT: Steven, Dawson, Geary, King

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for this week Sunday vs Essendon.

Splayd wrote:I know that there are many threads about the changes this week (Drop Kosi!!! WTF!!) so I thought I’d throw in my 2c worth.

There is also the Changes Next week Thread.
www.saintsational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61364

Mind you perhaps easily missed with 300 post game threads this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:McQualter was a long way from being the worst last night, and he had a terrific game against the Dogs the week before. I really don't understand why he has suddenly become a favourite whipping boy on this forum.

Raph is definitely on the cusp, but Dawson was arguably worse and we arguably don't need him in our matchups against the Bombers, so he could be the backline guy to make way.

Armo a definite in, along with Eddy, so Raph/Zac and Steven to go for mine. I'd say Zac rather than Raph.

If King is out next week (is that certain?) then one of McEvoy or Stanley to come in. It's a gamble, but I reckon they could give Stanley a go.

Then we need another forward. I have suggested Heyne in other threads. If Lynch was fit, I'd want it to be him. Who goes out? Geary, I reckon: perhaps a bit unfair, but he hasn't really been delivering enough.

IN: Armitage, Eddy, Heyne, Stanley
OUT: Steven, Dawson, Geary, King
I think the thing with Mini, is that he is a smart player, but not as effective as last season -gets tagged a bit more now.
There's a few players who are clearly off the boil and need a refresher at Sandy.
I'm sure Eddy, Armo, Stanley and big Macca will get a run in the seniors.

saint58
Club Player

Re: Changes for this week Sunday vs Essendon.

Splayd wrote:I know that there are many threads about the changes this week (Drop Kosi!!! WTF!!) so I thought I’d throw in my 2c worth.

I think we all agree that last night was a below par performance. We got blown off the park in terms of pace and we all saw that the Saints will probably miss Max as a big bodied defender more than we thought. However it also presents an opportunity to change the squad up as it is always harder to change a winning team. Personally against the Bombers this week we could be found out for pace again which is why I reckon a minimum of 3 changes may be needed (including King who has done a hammy)

Side for last night.

St Kilda
HB: Baker, Fisher, Clarke
HF: McQualter, Brendon Goddard, Schneider
I/C: Blake, Gram, King, Steven

I reckon this should be the side for next Sunday.

St Kilda
HB: Baker, Fisher, Gram
HF: Peake, Goddard, Schneider
I/C: Blake, Stanley, Armitage, Steven

1. Stanley in for King. Although not a ruckman, Gardiner I think can account for Hille (who is ordinary around the ground - 2 kicks last week) and make him accountable up forward, with Blake pinch hitting (I know I know) and Kosi in the ruck. With Stanley it won’t hurt us as much to swing Kosi into the ruck against Ryder/Hille for 10 mins per quarter to rest Gardiner and leave Stanley forward along with the swing man Goddard. Big Mac’s speed worries me against this mob. It also brings Kosi into it.

2. Peake in for Mini. Mini was one of our most important players last year but is out of touch – a run in the magoos early in the season won’t hurt and Peake’s pace will help against the Bombers. I know he hasn’t been in terrific form for Sandy (who was with the weekends belting by Port) but he adds a good outside presence.

3. Armo for Raph. Not like for like but with Gram back, Fisher, Gilbert and Gwilt we have enough rebounding players from the back half – this is Raphs role as he really can’t play key position. Armo is an in and under player which will relieve the pressure of Hayes who IMHO was the only real in-and-under we had last night. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t playing against the blues. His form, whilst not scintillating, has been alright and would’ve been valuable against the Carlton Mids.

Possibly one final change would be Big Mac in, out Dawson and rely on Blake as the FB. But again I’d be worried about pace with this one.

Of the other fringes Steven and Geary have shown enough (Steven looks like he will be a player with 20 odd games under his belt) and Dawson I reckon offers value against Gumbleton this week. I also don’t mind him as a lead up (not all the time) whilst roo is gone as like Kosi he creates a contest for Milne and Schneids to feed off. Essendon had over 400 possessions last week in a loss and Carlton had under 400 and belted us. IMHO this is a major worry for this week and something that needs to be looked at.

like your thinking but unfortinatly it wont happen only king he is injured no one will be droped our coaches dont think there is a problem lost 2 of last 3 and should have been 3/3 not over 10 goals in over 3 weeks.!!!!

If there were changes i would drop Clarke to soft no effort and wont get hard ball to many turnovers,Geary inconsitant and Steven will be good but need a bit of up and under and King is out the statue!
In stanley at chf mobile and at 201 cm hard to match up on to fast for big defender Peake fast and carries ball well, Armo up and under player goal kicker Gaertner has been in best for sandy last 4 weeks is big and mobile Zack to ff good lead and get defender to chase him is a good kick for goal will add experience to the forward line with Kosi in ruck.