is zac scared?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

is zac scared?

if he is. he should not be playing........waite gave him a good whack behind the ear with his elbow...zac didn't even respond to him...just slunk off...not a good look imhfo.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

To me he looks scared of getting reported. Desperately needs to bulk up. I have defened him all year, but I think its time for a rest.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Beekay
SS Life Member

Very naive post.

You've probably never played football and understood the mind set a player can be in. When you are under a lot of pressure when the game is in the balance, at times, you can't help but only think about the right things to do to in order to execute a solid game. Focus.

However if Waite did it to a new gamer half his size, and Zac actually saw it and did nothing when the ball was up there other end... might be a different story.

I remember playing juniors, I was the leading goal scorer in the comp, copped a lot of dirty tactics... aggressive kid off the field and could have knocked the teeth out of any player in the comp... but I preferred to kick goals, win games, and get my name in the local paper. 8-)

You need only to look no further than Riewoldt to see how a player has to rise above the trivial dribble in order to get the best out of himself. How many dirty acts are employed against him? Does he go around swinging his fists?

In terms of being tough and standing up for yourself, I see our players main problem as being scared to go for the ball first and take the game on. That is much more wimpy.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Nothing wrong with his courage, just because he chooses not to give a whack back.

Undisciplined play is not to the team's advantage.

You are roughly the same vintage as me Sting, and you will remember Rocket Rod Owen. All the talent in the world, but couldn't get on the park without whacking someone. Waste.

The days of the 80s when we would lose the game but win the fight are long gone.

We lost, but it had nothing to do with courage and everything to do with a lack of pace.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Very naive post.

You've probably never played football and understood the mind set a player can be in..

wrong..i played at a fairly high level ...not for long mind you...but i played...........and .....i never got reported.....but i never let someone bully me...

.it wasn't a good look......three other players had a go at waite over the incident...but zac wimped off...same as he did when hall had a go at him.....not a naive question at all.....and i have an understanding of the courage it takes to play at afl level generally.....

...before you have a go at me i suggest you look at the videp of the incident.....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I think Zac was being smart in that incident. Waite had already done a stupid thing and given away a free kick. Why give the umpire any reason whatsoever to reverse the situation.

I actually like the 'get on with it' attitude.

There's a time and a place for the 'retribution', but I don't think that was it.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Bit concerned when we are questioning a bloke's courage openly on this forum. Criticism of style of play is one thing, but this thread gets very close to a line that perhaps we should not cross.

Not disputing your opinion or your right to have it Sting.... just makes me uneasy.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Personally I couldn't care less about the argy bargy - BUT when it's time to be physical, ie like a marking contest, ball in dispute etc that's where Zac is starting to be questioned. This may all relate back to what Stinger's referring too. It's a mindset thing. I haven't seen nearly enough agressiveness from Zac this year compared to last year.

And to be honest I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Raph's lack of physicality as well. There was a time (I think the 2nd quarter) when he was running back with the flight and was out of position. Whilst the FF was always likely to take the mark, for mine Raph didn't push back nearly hard enough. I would rather he risk giving away a free kick than meekly run back and put up a token effort.

THis is where I LOVED Max when he played. Never took a backward step to full fwds and ALWAYS made them earn it, even when outmarked. Always had body on his opponent. Bakes is the same. May not win every contest, but by god you know he's doing everything he can physically to make a contest of it. I'm not confident either Zac or raph are doing this at the moment.

Scared? - I don't think so, but lacking in confidence - YES.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Scared? - I don't think so, but lacking in confidence - YES.
Agree. Good comment.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

He looks frail this year including the NAB,mentally and physically.

At the start of last year he looked big. He had nothing to lose and he came around throwing his weight around a bit and attacked the contest.

This year,just seems to have slipped back to his Hawthorn days. Sort of has that panic look to the face when the ball comes down....terrified of making a mistake.

He cops a lot of flack,and I'd say he is well aware of it.He needs to find a way to block this out and get back to playing like he was last year

Bring back the Lockett era
Saintsfan
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:
Moods wrote: Scared? - I don't think so, but lacking in confidence - YES.
Agree. Good comment.
He seemingly is confident when we are playing well however in the past few weeks he has been found wanting.

The Saintsfan Cometh
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: is zac scared?

stinger wrote:if he is. he should not be playing........waite gave him a good whack behind the ear with his elbow...zac didn't even respond to him...just slunk off...not a good look imhfo.....
He lost all hunger for the hard stuff when he was rubbed out last year and got 3 weeks. He needs to get that back or our back line will struggle...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zac to CHF..play through him and even if he doesn't take lot of grabs, he is physical enough to bring the ball to the ground..he doesn't lack courage, but like the rest of the team, he needs to put the foot to the floor again get the pressure footy happening. I would put Kosi at FB as he is a tough nut and can take a grab (or used to able to).

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

sting we had just won a very rare free kick would you prefer the kick too be reversed so Zac can give him a push and a shove ? end of the day Zac did the right thing .. im sure he watend nothing more then to snot him one but when your down on the scoreboard and the bloke is beating you its not a good idea to fall for those silly traps ... just look at the replay the ump was right there to reverse it had zac retaliated

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who plays AFL footy isnt scared. Just a stupid heading and for a person who thinks he never says anything bad about players a disgraceful heading.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Simply he is not playing well and looks down on confidence. When was the last time he came through with a spoil that broke open a big pack?

The Saintsfan Cometh
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:Simply he is not playing well and looks down on confidence. When was the last time he came through with a spoil that broke open a big pack?
when was the last time there was a big pack ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ThomasR
Club Player

No question his confidence is shot - one thing I have noticed is that he often takes his eye off the ball at the last moment in a contest. This is a technical issue and hopefully the coaches address this - not suggesting it is because he is 'scared' so to speak but maybe his smaller body size is having psychological effects in one-on-one contests.

Thought he showed a bit up forward in the last quarter though, almost the pick of the various defenders that have been tried up there - kicking was ordinary but that will come good if he can keep taking grabs and find some confidence.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: is zac scared?

WinnersOnly wrote:
stinger wrote:if he is. he should not be playing........waite gave him a good whack behind the ear with his elbow...zac didn't even respond to him...just slunk off...not a good look imhfo.....
He lost all hunger for the hard stuff when he was rubbed out last year and got 3 weeks. He needs to get that back or our back line will struggle...
i was thinking that that suspension may have been a factor....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Anyone who plays AFL footy isnt scared. Just a stupid heading and for a person who thinks he never says anything bad about players a disgraceful heading.

...oh ffs....i asked a question, albert.....that'a all.... :roll: :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Anyone who plays AFL footy isnt scared. Just a stupid heading and for a person who thinks he never says anything bad about players a disgraceful heading.

Who is Albert?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Who is Albert?
i thought we had settled that before.... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Who is Albert?
My name isnt Albert. Thats why I asked who he is. Maybe you have got me confused with a cleaner down the road.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Who is Albert?
My name isnt Albert. Thats why I asked who he is. Maybe you have got me confused with a cleaner down the road.

you are albert to me you sad old man....

Beekay
SS Life Member

you sound like you're scared stinger.. not a good look imhfo.....