Just why did the AFL select Monday night football.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Just why did the AFL select Monday night football.......

As their preferred choice in moving forward towards the expanded competition???

I would have thought that a Thursday night option would have been a better choice, considering so many people take Fridays off as a roster day off, and get to sleep in a little on the Friday.

This Monday Night football means so many people that get to the game wont get home to way past 11pm and have to get up early for work the next day.

To me it just doesn't make sense on a Monday night as opposed to a Thursday night.

The AFL should look into it a bit more as far as workers general roster day off and/or semi long weekends.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

And of course they wouldnt have.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And of course they wouldnt have.
:shock:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
:shock:
Your face has huge eyes.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Mother's Day and TV.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Last Year: Collingwood v St Kilda at Etihad

This Year: St Kilda v Carlton at Etihad

Both games GUARANTEED to be a success with regards to Crowd, TV Ratings etc

Gives the AFL plenty of ammunition going forward in an expanded competition to use this time slot more regurlarly !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When we are an 18 team competition, with 9 games each weekend, and the 9th game being either on Monday or Thursday night, how do you think they will operate as far as televising it goes? Will 7, 9, and Pay TV have it in turns to televise it. or what?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:When we are an 18 team competition, with 9 games each weekend, and the 9th game being either on Monday or Thursday night, how do you think they will operate as far as televising it goes? Will 7, 9, and Pay TV have it in turns to televise it. or what?
It's the NEXT TV rights deal (2012-2016) that the AFL will be exploiting with these Monday Night games. The (over-inflated) figures from 2009-10 will be used by the AFL, but the TV networks will want a MUCH BIGGER say in the FIXturing !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Monday is a big television rating night because people tend to be tired after the weekend and less likely to go out.

As others said, Monday night football has been a huge success in the States so the AFL have had the research done for them as far as the time slot goes.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

I work saturday's often, and play sport on a sunday, this timeslot is great for me as i actually can go to the game.

I also like the fact that we get twilight sunday games as well because i get home in time to watch them live on tv but still cant get to the game.

what doesn't work for some, works for others and i'm delighted with the timeslot.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintDebi
Club Player

Monday night is difficult for me, but thats ok as no day is going to suit everybody.
I do wish that they hadn't chosen to do Maxie's tribute on a Monday night though. Despite coming immediately from work, I very much doubt that we can be there in time. :cry:

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Sainterman
Club Player

They may very well not have thought about that.

They still don't know how they are going to structure the home and away season with 17, and then 18 teams, and they also have no idea how they will structure finals.

When the overpaid Andy gets asked he goes into a tailspin of words and seems to have no answers at all.

Eventually they will work it out though...they just need some more thinking time...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Most Clubs ask the AFL not to play on Mothers Day...and the AFL are keen to try other timeslots for the reasons stated already in this thread..so this particular Monday is a no-brainer. Once you created a Monday night game though and give it to FTA TV, you cant just put any old game there. The fact that weve featured in both so far indicates to me that perhaps the Club are keen to embrace it and the TV stations like us. You'll not see NorthvMelbourne on Monday nights anytime soon Id think.

As someone said elsewhere, what suits some doesnt suit others. TIme to face facts that AFL Footy isnt about 6 games on Saturday afternoons any more, just as the 9-5 Mon-Fri job is becoming a rarer beast. Any time that games are played will be perfect for some and bad for others. Monday Night is no different. Just for the record..I have to get up at about 4.45am for work the next morning....but I wouldnt miss this game for quids...but I fully understand that those with small kids or travelling to do will find it harder. You guys would all love Sat arvo games no doubt..but those who play surburban or country footy would hate them

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Captain Impossible
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:Monday is a big television rating night because people tend to be tired after the weekend and less likely to go out.

As others said, Monday night football has been a huge success in the States so the AFL have had the research done for them as far as the time slot goes.
Spot on. It's the biggest night of football in the States. Much bigger than Friday night, it's the most watched game of the week and it's usually only the popular teams that play on Monday nights. Personally I think it s a bit of pain in the arse but maybe we should take it as a compliment.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Gillon McLachlan from the AFL said today on 3AW that Monday nights and Thursday nights would not be regular fixtures in the expanded AFL.
He said they would be looking at a Day...Twilight....Night fixture on Saturdays and Sundays with no overlap between these game times....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Sunday twilight games and Monday night games would've meant that I could attend a lot more games when I played footy from under 9s to under 17s.... missed a lot of Sunday games.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Gillon McLachlan from the AFL said today on 3AW that Monday nights and Thursday nights would not be regular fixtures in the expanded AFL.
He said they would be looking at a Day...Twilight....Night fixture on Saturdays and Sundays with no overlap between these game times....
I like the idea of Saturday twilights, much more than Sunday twilights.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Gillon McLachlan from the AFL said today on 3AW that Monday nights and Thursday nights would not be regular fixtures in the expanded AFL.
I like the idea of Saturday twilights, much more than Sunday twilights.
that time would suit me and others I take
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 09 May 2010 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:As others said, Monday night football has been a huge success in the States so the AFL have had the research done for them as far as the time slot goes.
yes, monday night football is an institution in the states with massive tv audience so i suspect the afl has taken its lead from there.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Monday is a big television rating night because people tend to be tired after the weekend and less likely to go out.

I was going to post but then I read this.

Correctomundo!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Players =
A survey last year found not one supported this night. Saturday afternoon remained the overwhelming preference, with Friday night also popular.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... -ult9.html

can someone remember this quote next time one of the " marquee" teams say ' This game is ours.....
McLachlan said Monday-night football would be open to all teams, despite the Saints' appearing in the two most recent games.

"No one team would own any slot across a weekend, and all teams would have the opportunity to play in any position over a weekend," he said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107