Selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Selection

Did we get it wrong on the selection table last week?

With the withdrawal of both Gram & Ray we lost a lot of speed and flare. This being already compounded by the loss of Roo.

Kosi is a no-brainer for the forward line but geez I don't know putting Eddy in gives us a lot of guys that are grunt hard workers that can follow the plan but man we really lacked finesse.

Rossco has spoken about our fire power but the team looks more like starch than icing at present.

Who could have come in? Perhaps we could have gone without Kingy and had a Stanley that has more potential up forward. Easy in hindsight!!

It's not the end of the world as some on here are suggesting but without some speed we are going to look very flat footed next week.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

I really hope the Gram and Ray are back this week because you're right about a lack of pace with them out.

Especially against the Doggies we'll need to be as quick and silky as possible.

I've allways been a Mcqualter fan but it would be interesting to see if Steven gets a run against the Doggies In his place.

Any thoughts about Steven for Mcqualter??

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The conditions in Adelaide dictated the selection of Eddy and the retention of McQualter.

This weeks game may warrant changes, but we kept up the pace with the bullies in the NAB cup final, we just needed a bigger defender on BBBH.

I'd expect to see Ray and Gram both back this week, and if that's the case, Steven will have to wait another week you'd think.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Selection

PJ wrote:Did we get it wrong on the selection table last week?

With the withdrawal of both Gram & Ray we lost a lot of speed and flare. This being already compounded by the loss of Roo.

Kosi is a no-brainer for the forward line but geez I don't know putting Eddy in gives us a lot of guys that are grunt hard workers that can follow the plan but man we really lacked finesse.

Rossco has spoken about our fire power but the team looks more like starch than icing at present.

Who could have come in? Perhaps we could have gone without Kingy and had a Stanley that has more potential up forward. Easy in hindsight!!

It's not the end of the world as some on here are suggesting but without some speed we are going to look very flat footed next week.
Are you suggesting that Stanley's pace in the Grand Final Sprint would have done the job last week?
He didn't have to think about a ball in the Granny.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
PJ wrote:Did we get it wrong on the selection table last week?

Are you suggesting that Stanley's pace in the Grand Final Sprint would have done the job last week?
He didn't have to think about a ball in the Granny.
i think what he was trying to say was a team needs a mix of white collar and blue collar workers and this weeks team had too much blue collar not enough polish...

my view is just need 22 blokes who are good at footy. sounds out there i know. we have some blokes who im not convinced are that good at footy.

PJ
SS Life Member

i think what he was trying to say was a team needs a mix of white collar and blue collar workers and this weeks team had too much blue collar not enough polish...

my view is just need 22 blokes who are good at footy. sounds out there i know. we have some blokes who im not convinced are that good at footy.
The blue collar white collar analogy is exactly what I'm saying.

To BS no I'm basing nothing on a GF sprint, more a perception that Stanley offers more on the "can create something" level than some that are going aroung in the gurensey at present. My premise is form in the NAB and yes that's only a preseason comp but

Kosi - not played for weeks
Eddy - not likely to do much
McQ - love the guy but he's way out of form

I'm sure the boys will be up for it after that humiliation but we need some inspiration as well as structure.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

To me Eddy was the obvious replacement for Ray. And yes I would like to see Jack replace McQualter.

Lets hope Gram and Farren are back next week. Not much has been said about why they were out, so lets hope its only minor.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Port area good running team.

So losing both of Gram and Ray was a big loss.

Ray has been a defensive runner in many games and so Eddy wasa logical replacement.

Given the conditions I am not sure a young tall would have gone that well.

Doggies are alsoa very good running team. We really need both of Gram and Ray back.....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 27 Apr 2010 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
quidnunc
Club Player

Since last years GF - I have been keen to see how Milne, Schneider and McQualter perform when kicking for goal.

Milne and Schneider have been ok but McQualter is still missing shots he should goal with - my concern is how much worse will his shot conversion be in finals pressure?

If it doesn't improve we need to try Steven for comparison - flags are too hard to win not to explore all possibilities.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:my view is just need 22 blokes who are good at footy. sounds out there i know. we have some blokes who im not convinced are that good at footy.
excellent post!