44 points. forward line is a problem

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

44 points. forward line is a problem

i wouldn't lay it all on kosi, but we need another key forward with some goal-kicking nous in riewoldt's absence.

i suggest bj. zac would be another possibility.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 25 Apr 2010 1:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

1st low scoring wet weather game ever.

SaintWal
Club Player

The scoreline was flattering. Port should have buried us early

battye
Saintsational Legend

It looked like the conditions were bad from the start, I thought a wet ball might have been contributing to so many kicks coming off the side of the boot.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl you beat me to it.

Look it's almost like they are selecting the team for roo to be back after a month. Strange. Pick a defender, send him forward and pinch hit.

Last week we tried chips and zac. This week jimmy. Next week gilbo (was the only one sticking his marks so not so silly :P ).

This will not help us in the next 3 months. There are only so many times that the midfielders can work the ball out to their runners, look up and have no-one leading to them. We must develop a forward line NOW.

I was against playing stanley on his own and I believe that next week is the week for the kid to debut. Play the two prongs and thus always have a tall working up from half forward. If we have too many tall defenders then drop one but stop using it as a stop gap for the mis matched defender.

mini is in trouble also. We can't afford to play so many small forwards. Schneider was able to move into the midfield and mini struggled. Would like to see heyne and lynch pushed through this position in the next month.

So my point is, develop a forward line without roo in mind. Otherwise we might be stuffed by the time he is back.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

McQualter didn't do enough, seemed like we had no forward structure, we had a bad night but I'd rather we lose one or two during the year than win 15 in a row and fall over in the big one. Some perspective would be nice.

Another opportunity awaits!
battye
Saintsational Legend

I agree Solar, I was hoping we would use the time with Riewoldt out to develop a second forward line.

I too would like Stanley to play, have done since Riewoldt got injured :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintWal
Club Player

If we don't develop specific players for the role all we do is pinch hit and weaken other positions or worse structures. Stanley for me

felixleo
Club Player

i agree solar, face it we are going to lose some games over the next two months regardless of whether Kosi plays well or not. So why not get some games into Stanley and Mcevoy when it can only be upside if they play well and a learning experience if they dont.

Are you gonna be the one?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:i agree solar, face it we are going to lose some games over the next two months regardless of whether Kosi plays well or not. So why not get some games into Stanley and Mcevoy when it can only be upside if they play well and a learning experience if they dont.
mcenvoy needs to develop his rucking so that rules him out IMO

kosi gives us a big body to work the tall/medium youngsters through. Dogs showed that there is no reason why a couple of young talls cannot make the step up.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
felixleo
Club Player

Disclaimer: previous post has nothing to do with stanley being in my super coach team.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:If we don't develop specific players for the role all we do is pinch hit and weaken other positions or worse structures. Stanley for me
hypnotise him and tell him his name is nick riewoldt :D

look, stanley is extremely promising but reportedly couldn't get near it yesterday for sandringham.

i still think goddard. otherwise we will struggle to kick winning scores.

felixleo
Club Player

Solar ,Kosi at his best is a great marking forward and pack smasher but i feel is too slow for our frontal pressure tactics, though tonight proved you have to have the ball in your forward fifty before you can apply it.

SaintWal
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
SaintWal wrote:If we don't develop specific players for the role all we do is pinch hit and weaken other positions or worse structures. Stanley for me

look, stanley is extremely promising but reportedly couldn't get near it yesterday for sandringham.

Pinch hitting again. Goddard to me is better in the back half to centre. Can we get 2 of him?

felixleo
Club Player

Big Carl . wasn't there a story about a player being knocked out and not knowing who he was and when they asked the coach whether to send him back on he said tell him he's gary ablett and to get back out there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

felixleo wrote:Big Carl . wasn't there a story about a player being knocked out and not knowing who he was and when they asked the coach whether to send him back on he said tell him he's gary ablett and to get back out there.
yes, i've heard that one. i think it is probably an urban myth though.

Saintsfan
Club Player

s*** happens really. it was a pretty poor game all around. we did not get near the goals often enough and towards the end we panicked and bombed it ala the grand final last year

The Saintsfan Cometh
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Pinch hitting again. Goddard to me is better in the back half to centre. Can we get 2 of him?
who else is tall enough to play a key position and has proven he can kick goals at the highest level?

SaintWal
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:s*** happens really. it was a pretty poor game all around. we did not get near the goals often enough and towards the end we panicked and bombed it ala the grand final last year
Good call, thought we panicked as well.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:s*** happens really. it was a pretty poor game all around. we did not get near the goals often enough and towards the end we panicked and bombed it ala the grand final last year
we panicked because none of our forwards even looked like kicking a goal and we were running out of time.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Our forward line is not a problem, it simply had a poor night...

That is all.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I'd suggest we lost it in the midfield....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I'd suggest we lost it in the midfield.
agree that we lost there, too.

the mids might have done better if they'd had a dangerous target to kick it to.

instead it was kosi, completely out of sorts, rubber-chest milne, and gwilt, a proven failure in the forward line who has blossomed in defence this year.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 25 Apr 2010 1:20am, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
From the AFL website:

"Star utility Brendon Goddard filled in for injured skipper Nick Riewoldt with five goals against Fremantle last weekend, but was ineffective in attack on Saturday night.

It didn't help Goddard's cause that the Saints put extra numbers behind the ball and were often caught without a single forward inside 50.

Justin Koschitzke failed to make an impact in the slippery conditions and after the game coach Ross Lyon said his side would continue to search for viable replacements for Riewoldt."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Well, we've seen this from Goddard before...unfair to critisise him as he does not regularly play as a key forward. However, some bizarre coaching by the sound of it. Maybe panic crept in for the coach as well as the players?

Also, I'd advise against finding a Riewoldt replacement...we'll be looking for a long time! Surely alternative structures are the answer?

SaintWal
Club Player

Does anyone know if Stanley is being developed as a Ruckman or a forward at Sandy?