Discussion point - Two six day breaks in a row.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Discussion point - Two six day breaks in a row.

Now I am not whinging and am not advocating any of the options or points I am about to make, but think it is worth discussing.

We have a six day break after the gruelling game against Freo. We play Port on the wide open spaces on Saturday night. This, after the Freo game will be a real test to see if the lads can recover and run out a game after a six day break.

But the really hard part is that we then get another six day break before we play the hard running Bulldogs at home.

Counting last Sunday that is 3 games in 12 days. With this in mind and with the fact that it will be highly unlikely that the team can win all three, what is our best option over the next two weeks.

1) Obviously to win all three. We have won the first one, but our player management will have to be extra good to have a chance.

Do we make multiple changes for the game against Port to keep some of our stars fresh for the Bulldog game? Of course this risks our chances against Port and still wont guarantee a win against the Bulldogs.

2) Do we go all out to win against Port and choose our best available team? Of course another win is in the bank and regardless of what happens against the Bulldogs we will have five wins (if we do) going into round 6.

If we do this, we run the risk of being overrun by the Bulldogs, the following friday night and then the accompanying "analysis" of the possible loss and the consequences of our chances at the flag etc.

We have a good structure, as shown last year against Hawthorn, and we can accomodate up to five changes.

However, the old chestnut,"flirting with form" will come out, if we rst players and also it is early in the season to be using this type of management.

This is a time where the coaching and fitness staff will really earn their money.

My gut inclination is to go all out to beat Port and whatever happens, happens against the Bulldogs.

Thoughts?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Port are rubbish IMO, plus we love playing at AAMI, always win there!

So we should get over the line no probs in Adelaide, and hopefully without too much stress on the players.

Remember, our players are properly trained and managed fitness/injury wise now, which makes an enormous difference.

Go full bore in both games should be within the fitness ranges of most of the players.

Also remember we get a 10 day break after we play Footscray (the next game is the Monday week against the Corrupt Navy Blues!).

NB: How long will it take for barks4eva to respond?

WHY didn't he post about this?

Geez Joffa, talk about stealing someone's thunder :)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: NB: How long will it take for barks4eva to respond?
About 4 minutes!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

facts are we have ten six day breaks, which is far worse than any other team in the top half of the competition,

I didn't bother looking at Melbourne or Richmond for example!

St kilda play virtually half the home and away season on a six day break!

I did say Brisbane are the team to watch out for before the season started in relation to having a breakout year, aside for some good recruiting they have two five day breaks and two six day breaks for the entire season!

This is a dream draw with most of their games on a Saturday with at least seven days recovery time for 18 of the 22 rounds!

Almost as if the AFL have plotted for Brisbane to have a big year to increase the interest levels in Queensland prior to the GC joining next year! Probably the case!

Make no mistake this years home and away season is a huge challenge considering that St Kilda is playing almost half of the season on a six day break and going interstate six times also!

Brisbane have 2 x 6 + 2 x 5 day breaks
Bulldogs have 6 x 6 day breaks
Geelong have 7 x 6 day breaks
St Kilda have 10 x 6 day breaks

I can't remember the rest and cannot be bothered updating what I posted previously about six weeks ago!

Thankfully we now have a professional football department and top shelf fitness and conditioning staff to try and minimize the impact!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Discussion point - Two six day breaks in a row.

So no thoughts on the OP barks? Just the usual rant?

Please dont jack this thread.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:So no thoughts on the OP barks? Just the usual rant?

I thought this thread was about six day breaks, sorry to take it off topic, my sincerest apologies!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Kosi will be fresh and firing, and I have a feeling we will see McEvoy return for one of our veteran ruckman.

I think the rucks are the area the club needs to delicately manage, and on occasions like this with both a short break and interstate travel, it's the perfect time to rotate one of them with the fresher McEvoy.

The interesting thing again this year, is the quality of some of the kids pushing for selection. Give up your spot for a 'rest' and your spot may be taken and you don't get back in.

Not sure you'll get anyone putting their hand up, it will be a forced break if any. :)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we have to take each week on it's merits - until we get in a position when we can't be dislodged from top 2 (like Rd 17 last year) we shouldn't rest anyone. 4 points against Port is still worth the same as 4 points against the doggies. My thoughts on the doggies is that the boys generally lift for the really big games, and am confident they will find something extra for that game. After that game we have a 10 day break to refresh.

My opinion is that we'll cope alright. Every game we should go all out to win.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

JB re your OP

have many similar thoughts/concerns

very important to win this week

Playing WB after 2 six day breaks will be very very tough........

and as result a loss would not surprise.

on workload we will be ripe for the picking.

bearing in mind also the bullies play this Friday as well

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
The Dogs have a 7 day break, after a 6 day break (hot and humid Lions game at the GABBA) and so I believe that there is no real significant disavantage to the Saints compared to the Dogs.

Would not surprise me to see Gardiner rested for the PA game though if his knee etc are at all sore.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
chook23 wrote:
The Dogs have a 7 day break, after a 6 day break (hot and humid Lions game at the GABBA) and so I believe that there is no real disavantage to the Saints compared to the Dogs.

Would not surprise me to see Gardiner rested for the PA game though if his knee etc are at all sore.
disagree that you think when we play doggies they have no advantage...

Dogs maybe a bit flat against crows but then have 7 DAYS
we have six followed by another 6 day break

saint4life
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We do have a tough draw coming up. It's a fine line between having a great season and being in trouble!

If we hadn't have toughed out the Sydney,Collingwood and Freo games,we'd be 1-3 with a tough road ahead! It's been a very good start considering everything.

Any interstate trip worries me. This weekend will be another tough match.

Do we go all out to win this week...yes. 5 and zip gives us the opportunity to have a let down at some point in the season without letting it derail our top 4 aspirations too much

Bring back the Lockett era
Saintsfan
Club Player

Please don't jack this forum

The Saintsfan Cometh
na exa
Club Player

i'd be sending in the '2nd' lineup against port .

then give the dogs a lesson they'll still be remembering at finals time.

like the filth just got.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

na exa wrote:i'd be sending in the '2nd' lineup against port .

like the filth just got.
Going on the last 6 years where the Premier has been beaten in the H & A season by the runners up,I'd prefer to be beaten by the dogs and Cats this year,just to be safe....

Bring back the Lockett era
saintDal
Club Player

If we get into a good position against Port I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more periods of chipping the ball around and just keeping possession of the ball. Player management during the game is probably what we're more likely to see than resting players.

na exa
Club Player

Going on the last 6 years where the Premier has been beaten in the H & A season by the runners up,I'd prefer to be beaten by the dogs and Cats this year,just to be safe....
theres always that . hmmm

but , this is this year.

its about taking whats ours.

the 'pace' of the game is being questioned everywhere ... injuries , subs , shorter game time being floated.

let em gob on

...whilst we get set... running/practicing/and organising the A tean AND the B team approach to ending up at finals ready to rip heads off.

simple.

whatever , however ....WIN.

:lol: ,thats how i'd do it ...fwtw.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

We just have to deal with what we have. Maybe the odd change would work but not wholesale changes. I am also not worried if we lose to one or two of the top teams in the H & A season as long as we play well. No blowouts.

I'm sure the coaching staff have analysed the draw as soon as it was released. Can't see a real problem with the breaks given the fitness staff that we have.

Interestingly, when I brought up the fact that in Round 22 we are the only team in last year's Top 10 to play interstate, I got told to get over it.

Well on that basis, same applies here.

rexy
SS Life Member

Weird response JB, play the ball not the man IMO, nothing wrong with Barks post, on topic and informative?

Anyway, I dont mind the idea of rotating players to keep them fresh, especially older guys like King and Gardiner or anyone carrying a niggle, wouldnt have thought at round 4 anyone would be tired as such but if anyone doesnt look to be right then they should have a rest, rather than rest 5 guys in a game like last year I would rather a staggered approach with a guy resting here or there.

Maybe this year?
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

like the filth just got.
That is foolish!

Port at Port on the rebound is a very tough game, this is no easy game even if Riewoldt was playing!

You should always treat the opposition with respect, or at least not give them any ammunition!
Last edited by barks4eva on Wed 21 Apr 2010 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:

Weird response JB, play the ball not the man IMO, nothing wrong with Barks post, on topic and informative?
Been posted a dozen times before.

Nothing wrong with the post per se but the OP was about the two 6 day breaks and the games against Port and the Bulldogs.

I am happy for barks to contribute, so far there has only been one blatant troll (not from barks BTW) on the thread which is a good effort.

I think it is a valid discussion point and am encouraged by the positive responses by the vast majority of posters on here including yours.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

like the filth just got.
That is foolish!

Port at Port on the rebound is a very tough game, this is no easy game even if Riewoldt was playing!

You should always treat the opposition with respect, or at least not give them any ammunition!
Well I tend to agree. Dont think it is foolish to suggest we rest players, just a different option.

However if we win against Port we will be 5-0. I would probably opt for the best available and not rest anyone and take our chances with the Bulldogs.

If we dont take our best team in against Port we could easily drop it (still could with our best team but we have a much better chance) and go in against the Dogs 4-1, with no guarnatee we will win that game anyway.

I prefer a 5-0 with a diminished chance against the dogs to go 6-0 than probably a defeat against Port and a possibility of being 4-2.

Lance or James??

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Full throttle this weekend.

Without Roo, we must win the games we expect to win IMO.

Real important to face the Dogs with 5-0 in the can.

Draw opens up a little for us thereafter.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rexy
SS Life Member

Think the distinction that needs to be made is between "resting" players and taking a conservative approach to player management.

If a guy is 100% right to go and in the best 22 then he gets picked, If a player is being managed through some kind of injury or soreness like Gardiner and King probably are every week, then player rotation on a horses for courses basis is intelligent list management.

Guys like Lenny and BJ have had major knee ops in the last 2 years, Fisher also been injured this year, a guy like Raph needs his body managed correctly etc. On any given week alesser player may be able to give more of themselves for that round due to match ups, travel size of the ground weather conditions etc.

Maybe this year?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

always play good in adelaide??
sheesh
dunno about that, ive seen a few losses to the power over here...and its usually bloody raining and we get soaked

im a tad worried about this game, always am when the boys play here.

six day break?
its either gonna be six or seven most of the time, and i think with todays footy you just go with it.