Weird and Freakish Stats...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Weird and Freakish Stats...

Just browsing thorugh the footy record and discovered some weird and wonderful stats about the club...

Stuart Trott #7 IIRC) played 103 consecutive games. I recall he went to Hawthorn. Can anyone clarify if he played these before we left?

Tony Lockett kicked 15 goals in one game against the Swans. What a freak! These days if you get 4 or 5 you're considered a genius.

Bill Young was the 1956 Coleman medalist with just 56 goals. Obviously not a good year for full fowards.

We have been runners up in grand finals 5 times: 1913, 65, 71, 97, 2009.

Since 1984, our membership has grown from 4,930 to 38,000+

2009 was our 4th grand final loss by less than 3 goals.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Re: Weird and Freakish Stats...

[quote="Milton66"]Just browsing thorugh the footy record and discovered some weird and wonderful stats about the club...

Stuart Trott #7 IIRC) played 103 consecutive games. I recall he went to Hawthorn. Can anyone clarify if he played these before we left?

Tony Lockett kicked 15 goals in one game against the Swans. What a freak! These days if you get 4 or 5 you're considered a genius.

Bill Young was the 1956 Coleman medalist with just 56 goals. Obviously not a good year for full fowards.

We have been runners up in grand finals 5 times: 1913, 65, 71, 97, 2009.

Since 1984, our membership has grown from 4,930 to 38,000+

2009 was our 4th grand final loss by less than 3 goals.[/quote]

I feel sick :?

wolfpup
Club Player

didnt we win a gf against fitzroy one year but because of the rules they were able to challenge for a rematch because they finished above us on the ladder? something like that (think the only time it ever happened)

also was it 1991? against geelong in a final where we lost by 7 points at vfl park we finished 4th but played 3rd, i think the following year 3rd played 6th and 4th played 5th .

i was at the geelong game (my first time i saw the saints in the finals), plugger kicked 9 goals 6 or something and grant was knocked out in the 1st quarter, i think brownless kicked 8 or 9 as well, really thought we should have won that one

anyways, the following year (1992) we scraped into the finals, finished 6th, played collingwood who finished 3rd and won by 8 points knocking them out.

there was a bit of a media storm about the unfairness of 6th knocking out 3rd in the finals

lol saints always involved in strange events

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

That was the challenge system when we beat Fitzroy and they had the right to challenge us. That system was in for 30 years, I think Collingwood won 5 grand finals by challenging.

As for the 91 game, the system was changed the following year (I think).

Qld Saints Supporter Group
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Just browsing thorugh the footy record and discovered some weird and wonderful stats about the club...

Make it even more impressive,he had about 5 different opponents. Swans had no answers that day..or anytime we played them for that matter,so they resorted to standing 2 men directly with him. He still beat the pair of them

Bring back the Lockett era
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:2009 was our 4th grand final loss by less than 3 goals.
Incorrect.

1913- 56 to 43 Margin:13 (less than 3 goals)
1965- 105 to 70 Margin:35
1971- 82 to 75 Margin:7 (less than 3 goals)
1997- 125 to 94 Margin:31
2009- 80 to 68 Margin:12 (less than 3 goals)

That makes 3 losses by less than 3 goals. Don't know why we needed to know that stat in the first place. :cry:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Incorrect.

That makes 3 losses by less than 3 goals. Don't know why we needed to know that stat in the first place. :cry:
The one that does me in is that we led at 3qtr time in 71 and 09, half time in 97. led at 3qtr time in 04 and 05 prelims, and 06 elimination.

Well it will all be forgotten when we go back to back to back in 10, 11, 12.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ace
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Since 1984, our membership has grown from 4,930 to 38,000+
Those 4,930 endured yet another wooden spoon.
But 77 goals to a young kid named Tony made it worthwhile.

The real
PLUGGER

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

wolfpup wrote:didnt we win a gf against fitzroy one year but because of the rules they were able to challenge for a rematch because they finished above us on the ladder? something like that (think the only time it ever happened)

also was it 1991? against geelong in a final where we lost by 7 points at vfl park we finished 4th but played 3rd, i think the following year 3rd played 6th and 4th played 5th .

i was at the geelong game (my first time i saw the saints in the finals), plugger kicked 9 goals 6 or something and grant was knocked out in the 1st quarter, i think brownless kicked 8 or 9 as well, really thought we should have won that one

anyways, the following year (1992) we scraped into the finals, finished 6th, played collingwood who finished 3rd and won by 8 points knocking them out.

there was a bit of a media storm about the unfairness of 6th knocking out 3rd in the finals

lol saints always involved in strange events
Media scum led by a young Broadie jerk by the name of Eddie whinging about his maggotpies.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
35...LEGEND
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Incorrect.

The one that does me in is that we led at 3qtr time in 71 and 09, half time in 97. led at 3qtr time in 04 and 05 prelims, and 06 elimination.

Well it will all be forgotten when we go back to back to back in 10, 11, 12.

I could put up with that :wink:

Milton66
SS Life Member

ace wrote:

The real
PLUGGER
Was that pre-Baldock?

Can't recall who was coach that year. I know we churned through Jezza, Jewell, Gellie around that time. Did Ross Smith also have a gig?

My memory is failing me more and more these days. :D

rexy
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Just browsing thorugh the footy record and discovered some weird and wonderful stats about the club...

Make it even more impressive,he had about 5 different opponents. Swans had no answers that day..or anytime we played them for that matter,so they resorted to standing 2 men directly with him. He still beat the pair of them
In the end they just recruited him, obviously seemed easier than trying to stop him?

Maybe this year?
Milton66
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:
jonesy wrote:

In the end they just recruited him, obviously seemed easier than trying to stop him?
:lol: :lol:

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Plugger once kicked 16.0 for Sydney...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lockett kicked 15.4 for the Saints the same year Dunstall kicked 17 for the Hawks

Another opportunity awaits!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Lockett kicked 15.4 for the Saints the same year Dunstall kicked 17 for the Hawks
Yep,we had Adelaide the same day at Moorabbin. There was always this rivalry in Stkilda fans minds between Lockett/Dunstall. News was filtering through about Dunstalls haul that day...I think he had 10-11 at half time,everyone was sort of flat.
Plugger ended up with a lazy 10 against the crows,but it kind of felt like a loss after Dunstall got 17

yipper
SS Life Member

Milton66 wrote:
ace wrote:

The real
PLUGGER
Was that pre-Baldock?

Can't recall who was coach that year. I know we churned through Jezza, Jewell, Gellie around that time. Did Ross Smith also have a gig?

Tony Jewell from memory. Gellie took over again in 85 / 86 seasons.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
yipper
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
ace wrote:

The real
PLUGGER
Was that pre-Baldock?

Tony Jewell from memory. Gellie took over mid-year and continued into the 85 / 86 seasons.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

4,600 members in 84 is a disgrace.

Talk about not having any idea about Sales and Marketing!

Surely most other clubs (bar Fitzroy, Footscray and North) would've had double our members.

Yes, we were a crap team, but there was virtually zero marketing of memberships back then.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:4,600 members in 84 is a disgrace.

Surely most other clubs (bar Fitzroy, Footscray and North) would've had double our members.

Yes, we were a crap team, but there was virtually zero marketing of memberships back then.
No there wasn't marketing back then, not sure how old you are but they were very different times. It wasn't just St Kilda.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:

No there wasn't marketing back then, not sure how old you are but they were very different times. It wasn't just St Kilda.
I was a member then and I am a member now but Bev is right about the lack of marketing. That's why I love the Saints Footy marketing campaign.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Back then, I don't think that there was any marketing done to be honest.

Becoming a member was something you did. The only thing I recall being "marketed" back then was the Saints Disco.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Despite our low figures,in comparison to the other teams,we had one of the higher membership bases for memory

Milton66
SS Life Member

Aaah... them's the days.

If we were infront at 3/4, the attendance would double. Where else would you witness a swarm of supporters turning up at 3/4 time, as opposed to leaving?

And when we got going, the roar of "St Kilda - clap clap clap" from the grandstand was awsome.

Whatever happened to the guy who would yell out "Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn Sainters!"

rexy
SS Life Member

Milton66 wrote:Aaah... them's the days.

If we were infront at 3/4, the attendance would double. Where else would you witness a swarm of supporters turning up at 3/4 time, as opposed to leaving?

And when we got going, the roar of "St Kilda - clap clap clap" from the grandstand was awsome.

Whatever happened to the guy who would yell out "Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn Sainters!"
Not sure, but from time to time I try to chanel him and let one rip, reminds me of standing on the esky at Moorabin and taking it all in, these days everyone looks at you like a freak for being that loud though, all a bit polite in the stands for my liking. Couple of years ago I stood up for 2 seconds when Brett Voss sat on someones head at the G, bloke behind me leant forward and said would you mind remaining seated. Pffft, enjoy yourself FFS.

Maybe this year?