Muscle/Tendon repair opposed to reattaching muscle to bone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Muscle/Tendon repair opposed to reattaching muscle to bone

Does anyone know what the success is (in terms of complete recovery) with sewing a muscle/tendon tear back together as in Roo's case, compared to a avulsion repair where the torn hamstring tendon has to be reattached to the pelvis bone?
Was reading different people's experiences that had the more common avulsion repair (most being waterskiers) and more common outcome has been that they felt they were never quite the same afterwards.
Did not find much information on muscle repair where two torn sides are sewn together. I hope the general outcome for this surgery is closer to complete recovery. Tried finding some information on how others went with this repair but not much reported.
Cannot help myself researching this and my biggest wish now is for our superstar captain to make nothing less than a 100% recovery.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Tendons are really very strong so it takes a bit to injure them, they are harder to strain than ligaments. Have a feel at the size of one of your Achilles... Anyone who has had the opportunity to properly examine of a tendon will have noticed this. Annoyingly the term avulsion reminds me of something else...an avulsion fracture would've occured if Roo had actually had some bone removed with the tendon attached to the part removed...

Sadly, I have no idea about Roo's recovery. The doctors seem to think that he will return to normal in that recent article on the AFL site. That's about all that I can come up with right now :P, I am tired and trying to remember back to lectures a few weeks past..

kaos theory
Club Player

See here:

"Barbour said Riewoldt's injury was ''one that we don't seen that commonly'', but was relieved that the tendon had not been pulled from the bone, as was the case when former Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd damaged his hamstring in round three of 2006, missing the rest of that season. ''It was predominantly a tendon injury, there really wasn't any involvement of the muscle or the actual junction between the muscle and the tendon, and the scans showed there was a bit of a gap in the tendon at that region of a couple of centimetres,'' Barbour said. ''After discussions with Julian Feller, the surgeon, we thought it was best to surgically have that area repaired.''

Barbour said Riewoldt would begin a muscle strengthening program in the next couple of weeks, and should be ready to resume running by the six-week mark. And he said Riewoldt's history as ''a really good healer'' would help his recuperation. ''I think [previously] he's got back within fairly expected time-frames. He's not someone who has had a high injury rate in terms of soft tissues, so I think it bodes well," he said."

So its not as bad as the media exaggerations.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -se2i.html

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:See here:

"Barbour said Riewoldt's injury was ''one that we don't seen that commonly'', but was relieved that the tendon had not been pulled from the bone, as was the case when former Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd damaged his hamstring in round three of 2006, missing the rest of that season. ''It was predominantly a tendon injury, there really wasn't any involvement of the muscle or the actual junction between the muscle and the tendon, and the scans showed there was a bit of a gap in the tendon at that region of a couple of centimetres,'' Barbour said. ''After discussions with Julian Feller, the surgeon, we thought it was best to surgically have that area repaired.''

Barbour said Riewoldt would begin a muscle strengthening program in the next couple of weeks, and should be ready to resume running by the six-week mark. And he said Riewoldt's history as ''a really good healer'' would help his recuperation. ''I think [previously] he's got back within fairly expected time-frames. He's not someone who has had a high injury rate in terms of soft tissues, so I think it bodes well," he said."

So its not as bad as the media exaggerations.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -se2i.html
Kinda puts the whole 10cm tear line people have been running around with into neat perspective.

Honestly... Nigh on physically impossible...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Thats what I had to keep telling myself when the media storm first got going that until I heard word from the mouth of the medical team and the man himself that anything that said was at the best an educated guess and at the worse hyped and sensational to sell papers.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Work with someone who is in the know..can't say too much but he is a rock solid sourc..e his prognosis..6 weeks healing/ 6 weeks strengthening..and probably a couple more weeks to be careful.Round 17 his tip v the Hawks.Could be the same game Gibson makes his return from almost the same injury.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I will try not to get my hopes up but would love it to be round 17 against the Hawks as I will be at Etihad that night.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SO how does this injury heal if you don't have this operation?