Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

This is our opportunity to show the footy world that we play a brand of footy that is not dependent on one player but on a team structure. It is based on discipline, belief in the system, and implementation of that system by every player wearing a St Kilda jumper.

It's called Saints Footy.

Rotations:
I think by rotating players forward we may be able to develop a game plan and a path to the forward line that becomes unpredictable.
It will also develop a forward structure that has flexibility and an ability to adapt and combat any type of defence or even weather conditions.
Players like Fisher, Gilbert, Blake, BJ, Gwilt, Stanley, Raph, Zac, Peake and Grammy can all play at both ends of the ground. They can all mark, play tall, run and carry, and kick a goal.

Talls::
Gardiner, Kosi, McEvoy and Kingy can all play in the ruck and forward, and even float back when necessary or create the link at half back or half forward. They are all pack breakers, are mobile (even Kingy) and can take a contested mark.

Midfield:
If the midfield can do their job, by winning the centre clearances and delivering quickly and acccurately then several players can play tall and mark in the forward 50.
Dal, Joey, Armo, Eddy, Steven, Mini, Schneider, CJ, Geary, Ray, Milney and Lenny can all play midfield and then float forward to confuse the opposition.

Back Ups:
Then there is Lynch, the Smiths and others who are working their way in to the side from the 2nds.

Bakes:
Bakes can remain an all round tagger and back man.

Lyon:
As RL and quite a few of the footy journos have said and observed, we are starting to play Saints footy and if we follow the structures we should be able to cover Roo and may infact become a team with more depth and surprise than the team before Roo got injured.

Roo:
Goes without saying what a big loss Roo is but with adversity comes opportunity. It is only Round 3 so there is also potential for Roo to get back with a strong hammy and a knee that has been given the rest it needs from the tendonitis. There is a mid season break in that time.

Target:
We do have 3 wins in the bank. 12 more wins out of 19 remaining games will nearly ensure a top 4 spot. WB just missed the GF last year with a 15 and 7 record in the Home and Away season. Any more wins will certainly get us close to the top 2.

It's time to deliver the type of footy that we have pledged to the footy world - Saints Footy!!
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Thu 15 Apr 2010 12:09pm, edited 5 times in total.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Saints Footy is an absolute joke.

It is the first catchphrase way of playing football that has not won a flag either which makes it more embaressing. Usually an individual style or tactic gets labelled something after it succeeds. We did not win the Grand Final. Therefore it did not succeed.

It is cringeworthy.

The Saintsfan Cometh
markp
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:Saints Footy is an absolute joke.

It is the first catchphrase way of playing football that has not won a flag either which makes it more embaressing. Usually an individual style or tactic gets labelled something after it succeeds. We did not win the Grand Final. Therefore it did not succeed.

It is cringeworthy.
Not nearly as bad as changing your nick every year, to the year, with 'SaintsPremiers' in front of it, then eventually just giving up and sticking with 'Saintspremiers2008'.

Now that is cringeworthy.

Saintsfan
Club Player

markp wrote:

It is cringeworthy.
Not nearly as bad as changing your nick every year, to the year, with 'SaintsPremiers' in front of it, then eventually just giving up and sticking with 'Saintspremiers2008'.

Yeah, what?

Come again? and probably again as I am not following?

A name change on this fair forum is nothing in comparison to 'Saints Footy'....thanks media...you make me cringe everytime i hear that we have played 'Saints Footy'

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

It is cringeworthy.
The Saints Footy campaign was launched this year so it is relevant to this year not last year. However last year, we were better than 14 other teams and had the number 1 defence in the AFL and did win 22 games out of 25. Moving forward in 2010, every successful brand has a positioning statement and I believe needs a cause to unite and galvanise the people who follow and support the brand as well as inspire and unite the participants or team, in this case.

We are a successful brand. We have record membership. We are once again the number 1 defence in the AFL in 2010. We are on top of the ladder as we speak. We do have our own style of play and a game plan. We are giving it a serious crack and I feel a lot better about my club in the last 10 years, than I did in the 80's when winning the last quarter or Barker taking Mark of the Day was about the only satisfaction the supporters had.

I believe.

If you don't that's fine. Cringe as much as you like. It's a free world.

I happen to disagree with you and if we ever saw Saints Footy, it was last Friday night when other players stood up and were able to continue to play our brand of football despite the loss of our CHB and CHF. We held strong, restructured, gave players new roles and our injured CHB came back on and took two important marks to inspire the fans and the players.

I remember the bad times, these are good times and I am proud of Saints Footy.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Wed 14 Apr 2010 5:13pm, edited 4 times in total.

Joffa 5
Club Player

It is cringeworthy.
Cringeworthy or not, it's a name for the system/game plan the players came up with themselves and therefore have buy in. That's one of the main reasons they deliver. Saints Footy wasn't a media catch phrase, they latched onto it when they heard the players and coach using it.

I love it... SAINTS FOOTY!

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Nice break down Milan. I think we saw some Saints Footy and some good Sainter spirit when the boys held fast then move forward for a win on Friday night.
I hope they bring the same sort of passion and hunger for the win to the field this week.

*haha you beat me out there Milan you posted again before I could get this sent. I love Saints footy too, if it means something to our boys then it means something to me too

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
markp wrote:

It is cringeworthy.

Yeah, what?

A name change on this fair forum is nothing in comparison to 'Saints Footy'....thanks media...you make me cringe everytime i hear that we have played 'Saints Footy'

no what is cringeworthy are your inane ridiculous posts......you should cringe every time some poor bastard reads it thinking you may have something sensible to say for a change...for the record...you don't...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Whenever I see or hear the term 'saints footy' now, I find myself singing the membership song.... :oops: :)

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Whenever I see or hear the term 'saints footy' now, I find myself singing the membership song.... :oops: :)
Is it possible Saintsfan is your teenage son?... that may explain the cringing! :wink: :P

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

It is cringeworthy.
So any response to the rest of my OP or just the two words "Saints Footy" :?: :?:

Saintsfan
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
markp wrote:

It is cringeworthy.

Yeah, what?

no what is cringeworthy are your inane ridiculous posts......you should cringe every time some poor bastard reads it thinking you may have something sensible to say for a change...for the record...you don't...
For the record your post was useless as whenever someone sees that shark in the water as the avatar they realise that your post is going to be riddled with garbage with the odd ffs and a few emoticon's at the end.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:Whenever I see or hear the term 'saints footy' now, I find myself singing the membership song.... :oops: :)
Is it possible Saintsfan is your teenage son?... that may explain the cringing! :wink: :P
Hey?

I don't mind the expression at all, I'm just able to admit the song is a little cheesy :)

I don't know if I am more offended with you implying that I may be in some way related to Saintsfan, or that I am I old enough to have a teenage son? :x :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:

It is cringeworthy.
The Saints Footy campaign was launched this year so it is relevant to this year not last year. However last year, we were better than 14 other teams and had the number 1 defence in the AFL and did win 22 games out of 25. Moving forward in 2010, every successful brand has a positioning statement and I believe needs a cause to unite and galvanise the people who follow and support the brand as well as inspire and unite the participants or team, in this case.

We are a successful brand. We have record membership. We are once again the number 1 defence in the AFL in 2010. We are on top of the ladder as we speak. We do have our own style of play and a game plan. We are giving it a serious crack and I feel a lot better about my club in the last 10 years, than I did in the 80's when winning the last quarter or Barker taking Mark of the Day was about the only satisfaction the supporters had.

I believe.

I happen to disagree with you and if we ever saw Saints Footy, it was last Friday night when other players stood up and were able to continue to play our brand of football despite the loss of our CHB and CHF. We held strong, restructured, gave players new roles and our injured CHB came back on and took two important marks to inspire the fans and the players.

It was a bunch of blokes that know they are good and are close to achieving something amazing. It is not Saints Footy. It is developing a style that is relevant and can draw out opponents weakenesses.

In your first paragraph you rattled off a few stats however at the end it amounted to nothing. We did not win the Grand Final and second place is nothing to be proud of regardless of how good Geelong have been.

The record membership is due to us finishing second no doubt, with the expectation of a premiership. It is also due to our terrible history of failure that we have this record membership despite our Grand Final loss. However if the money is there...take it.

Let's not get carried away with the victory on Friday night. Collingwood are ordinary. Geelong and possibly the Dogs stand in our way of getting the flag. So until we beat them and beat them when it matters (Grand Final) I couldn't care less who else we beat.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
stinger wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
markp wrote:

It is cringeworthy.

Yeah, what?

For the record your post was useless as whenever someone sees that shark in the water as the avatar they realise that your post is going to be riddled with garbage with the odd ffs and a few emoticon's at the end.
For the record, and for the second time, do you have any opinion on footy or are you going to post about Stinger's avatar and emoticons, which is not particularly relevant to either the original topic or to the 2010 season of the St Kilda Football Club.

I would love to hear some opinion from you about football.

I eagerly await a football related post.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

completely agree saintsfan

average win on friday night, any team can play without their CHF, CHB and FF. Hell look at geelong... (whoops they lost, yeah scratch that).

Totally agree, collingwood are average. They were just lucky in round 1 and will be making up the numbers!

Can you please write down all the things that make you cringe and we can make sure we don't use any in our posts and threads.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

Milan Faletic wrote:

Gardiner, Kosi, McEvoy and Kingy can all play in the ruck and forward
I hope you mean throughout the year as I would not fancy all 4 in the one team.

I would also not fancy all of Gardi, King and Ben in the one team...though you might use it one week if stuck, though I personal;ly would prefer other options.

But yes agree..."Saints Footy"...which is a catch-phrase for what the players are expected to do, is what will make us a success this year if we can walk the talk.

While the club also is using the term it's marketing, make no mistake that this encapsulation of how our players are meant to play is critical.

Ignore the marketing speak and TV adds..what is important is that it is a blueprint to the saints playing at their best and in delivering our greatest chance of success.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 14 Apr 2010 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintsfan
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
stinger wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
markp wrote:

It is cringeworthy.

Yeah, what?

For the record, and for the second time, do you have any opinion on footy or are you going to post about Stinger's avatar and emoticons, which is not particularly relevant to either the original topic or to the 2010 season of the St Kilda Football Club.

I would love to hear some opinion from you about football.

I eagerly await a football related post.
I think we are capitalising on what we have infront of us. A team that should win the flag coupled with a team that could have won it last year. To the average success starved Saint that equals a good a reason as any to join up and to be able to say they were a member in 2010 when we finally did it.

In the end it equals $$$$$$$$ and we have to make it now and manage it wisely whilst we are ontop as fair-weather supporters will jump off once things go sour and our quality core moves on.

What irks me is that we have created a brand that failed. We finished second. 'Saints Footy' was around last year too. However this is my personal beef and opinion and I am not one to fall for lame catchphrases and use them to illustrate something.

What doesn't irk me is the record membership and what should be for a few years to come if we are successful in the short and medium term. This club finally has come along way since 2000 and no longer is classified with the Kanga's and Dogs as the strugglers or the teams that could relocate in the short to medium term future. This is a good thing and make me proud. Currently we are behind the big 4 however if we are able to have success and not just second place this will transform itself into higher memberships, more money, higher sponsorship dollars and more exposure all around through more blockbuster games. Clubs will want to play us more often and some rivalries will be manufactured in search of the almighty dollard.

Man I ramble at times.

The Saintsfan Cometh
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote: For the record your post was useless as whenever someone sees that shark in the water as the avatar they realise that your post is going to be riddled with garbage with the odd ffs and a few emoticon's at the end.

no prizes for second around here you clown.....inane stupid post after inane stupid post.....do you even go to games.?..follow the saints .?..ffs.... :roll:

oh...nearly forgot......

ffs ffs ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ..ffs

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
Hey?

I don't mind the expression at all, I'm just able to admit the song is a little cheesy :)

I don't know if I am more offended with you implying that I may be in some way related to Saintsfan, or that I am I old enough to have a teenage son? :x :wink:
I mean your family members may cringe when you sing!....

And definitely be more offended about the implication that you two are related... I apologise! :wink: :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:completely agree saintsfan

average win on friday night, any team can play without their CHF, CHB and FF. Hell look at geelong... (whoops they lost, yeah scratch that).

Totally agree, collingwood are average. They were just lucky in round 1 and will be making up the numbers!

Can you please write down all the things that make you cringe and we can make sure we don't use any in our posts and threads.

:wink: :lol: 8-) :twisted:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

are saintsfan and p66 the same poster as both seem to really enjoy putting the boot into saints fans

FQF
In richo I trust

markp
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: Can you please write down all the things that make you cringe and we can make sure we don't use any in our posts and threads.
I think we need a cringe-filter...

S**** footy!

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

It is cringeworthy.

I believe.

It was a bunch of blokes that know they are good and are close to achieving something amazing. It is not Saints Footy. It is developing a style that is relevant and can draw out opponents weakenesses.

In your first paragraph you rattled off a few stats however at the end it amounted to nothing. We did not win the Grand Final and second place is nothing to be proud of regardless of how good Geelong have been.

The record membership is due to us finishing second no doubt, with the expectation of a premiership. It is also due to our terrible history of failure that we have this record membership despite our Grand Final loss. However if the money is there...take it.

Let's not get carried away with the victory on Friday night. Collingwood are ordinary. Geelong and possibly the Dogs stand in our way of getting the flag. So until we beat them and beat them when it matters (Grand Final) I couldn't care less who else we beat.

I love every week we win.

I hate our opponent's every week.

I care every week.

Every win counts.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

btw how can you say that this brad of football failed? So do "brands" have a used by date? Some take 5-7 years to develop, ask mark thompson. Just cause they have a nice pretty little name for it does not make it any better or worse. I personally like the brand and think it will be successful.

FQF
In richo I trust