tactics that seem to go over supporters heads

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

tactics that seem to go over supporters heads

I really worry about some of our supporters because the shape of the game in 2010 seems to go over their head. This is not a go at the 70's "kick it long" brigade, it's the ones who yell out "pick up your man" or "why don't we have any forwards!!??"

One thing that lead to us to the top of the ladder last year and a grand final was our ability to use the whole field press. Last year we were not the only ones but we seemed to use every player within 2 thirds of the field to make it very hard for the opposition to get the ball out.

I hav no actual stats to back this up but from watching lots of football I would back the full press as stopping kicks from full back 3 times out of 4. One of those would ether be run out very well with smart kicking or a good contested mark on the wing from a long kick out. Otherwise the ball either gets turned over (goal!!!) or worked over the boundary within 60 from goal.

Every other side now does it, including the roos last night. So to beat the press a side attempts to work the ball quickly down to half forward and then kick it into space inside 50 for the forwards to work back into. The reason why full forwards as not used deep is that defenders struggle with no help from behind. It's like pagans pattock on speed. Watch any team and they will do it. So thats why when the opposition goes the press we will work our forwards up the ground.

On the other hand the same thing happens if the opposition gets through our press. Quick ball over the half forward line will always create free forwards "without a man". Similar happens with a turn over.

So at the end of the day, if the club wants to use these tactics there will be time where the ball will be slowed down and kicked around, sometimes we will kick it into the forward line without an actual forward in there and sometimes the opposition with get through our full field press and get free players inside 50. Throw old fashion footy out the windows sometimes and understand where footy it going.... otherwise you will just keep getting fustrated during matches in 2010.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ace
Saintsational Legend

Structures?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of not knowing football, the old bloke sitting one row in front of you and two seats to your left Solar. Did you hear him bagging Zac all night? "No wonder Hawthorn got rid of him", "Hall kicked 7 on him, Rocca kicked 8", etc etc. Reckons Haile kicked 3 on him, pretty sure Jimmy Gwilt was on him for the first two.

Did you hear my mate get into an argument with him? Well pretty one sided really :lol: What a disgrace of a "supporter".

saint1974
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Speaking of not knowing football, the old bloke sitting one row in front of you and two seats to your left Solar. Did you hear him bagging Zac all night? "No wonder Hawthorn got rid of him", "Hall kicked 7 on him, Rocca kicked 8", etc etc. Reckons Haile kicked 3 on him, pretty sure Jimmy Gwilt was on him for the first two.

Did you hear my mate get into an argument with him? Well pretty one sided really :lol: What a disgrace of a "supporter".
I must have been sitting near you too I heard him all night if the same bloke I was in aisle 20 he was starting to irritate me too there are some supporters who should just shutup and barrack for their team instead of bagging them.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint1974 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Speaking of not knowing football, the old bloke sitting one row in front of you and two seats to your left Solar. Did you hear him bagging Zac all night? "No wonder Hawthorn got rid of him", "Hall kicked 7 on him, Rocca kicked 8", etc etc. Reckons Haile kicked 3 on him, pretty sure Jimmy Gwilt was on him for the first two.

I must have been sitting near you too I heard him all night if the same bloke I was in aisle 20 he was starting to irritate me too there are some supporters who should just shutup and barrack for their team instead of bagging them.
Yep row E, eventually my mate couldn't hold back and let him have a spray. Shut hm up.