Peake = Birss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CORDZ
Club Player

Peake = Birss

I know we're only a game and the NAB cup in, and Peake has slotted in OK as an established player bla bla.
He just doesn't seem to give us anything special - I'm still looking for these penetrating kicks and blistering pace he has a rep for. He reminds me a lot of Ross's old mate - Birss. Anyone notice? :?

"That's ahh...quite a stutter you've got there, Ken!"
saintlee
Club Player

Re: Peake = Birss

CORDZ wrote:I know we're only a game and the NAB cup in, and Peake has slotted in OK as an established player bla bla.
He just doesn't seem to give us anything special - I'm still looking for these penetrating kicks and blistering pace he has a rep for. He reminds me a lot of Ross's old mate - Birss. Anyone notice? :?
How is Peake like Birss?

While I agree he hasn't shown a lot yet, I am willing to give him a bit more time to prove himself. I think he showed some glimpses against Sydney...that goal was a beauty!

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Quicker than Birss.

And his kicking was OK on Saturday night; slotted a nice goal from around the corner, and dropped a pass right onto Milney's chest over the defenders head for a goal to Milney.

So far so good at least.

CORDZ
Club Player

A nuggety tryer mid range player at best

"That's ahh...quite a stutter you've got there, Ken!"
ace
Saintsational Legend

CORDZ wrote:A nuggety tryer mid range player at best
But although not lighning fast, he is not decidely slow like Birss.

At the moment he looks like one of those players you play because you don't have someone better.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Quicker than Birss.

And his kicking was OK on Saturday night; slotted a nice goal from around the corner, and dropped a pass right onto Milney's chest over the defenders head for a goal to Milney.

So far so good at least.

yep......i thought he did alright.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Would rather Birss, he could have made it if he was given more opportunities IMO...

In retrospect I'm glad he didn't, as the role he was auditioning for was later cast to Andrew McQualter, who is the best of all 3 players in discussion.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Would rather Birss, he could have made it if he was given more opportunities IMO...

In retrospect I'm glad he didn't, as the role he was auditioning for was later cast to Andrew McQualter, who is the best of all 3 players in discussion.
Interest point on Birss and Mini.

At the time I thought Birss was very stiff as he seemed to be going ok....but you would have to say that Lyon got the call right as Mini really took the role on perfectly...and has been more than ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
CORDZ wrote:A nuggety tryer mid range player at best
But although not lighning fast, he is not decidely slow like Birss.

At the moment he looks like one of those players you play because you don't have someone better.
Nuggety? Slow? Who the hell are we talking about here???

Peake's looking OK, will improve. Birss was fine too, shame to see him go to be honest. However, Peake would never have been drafted had he been a 'nuggety mid range tryer', I think you're confused Cordz.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

give peake a while befor you write him off ... remember hes still got that freo mindset that needs to be kncked out of him .... honestly from what ive seen of him so far he looks like hes a bit fearful of making mistakes hence why he is not using as much of his pace and flair in the games .. i mean it must be a big differance playing in a team that play for eachother led by a strong captain than a team of individuals let by a bloke who would rather kick 6 goals on a losing side then 1 on a winning

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Loxton
Club Player

he will be handy for us, likely to occacionally pop up and get 2 or 3 goals but only time will tell, all we are saying is give Peake a chance

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:...all we are saying is give Peake a chance
:lol: Nice one.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

All we are saying........is give Peake a chance! All we are saying.......is give Peake a chance!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
benoc
Club Player

Only one game and should never be considered proof but I would say he is doing a lot better than Birss tonight.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Played well tonight....and a good kick for goal.

westy
Club Player

He did Ok

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He didn't do too much tonight but what he did was attack the man and footy, show some run and kick straight for goal. Therefor he did well.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Were we not watching the same game?

Give the guy a break. Will be a handy addition for us that cost us next to nothing. Anyone who can present as well as he did tonight and kick 3 straight goals for us has my vote!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kaos theory
Club Player

westy wrote:He did Ok
he was a lot better than ok, especially in the first half. If his first half becomes the norm, then Lovett will be a distant, obscure memory...

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Peake was judged on NAB cup games in his first year at the club
FFS he has to be given time to get used to the teams game plan and his team mates around him.

Given its only 2 rounds in and his game last week and this week were pretty damn good for a bloke who has only played a handful of games with a club that works 100 times harder than a slow uninspiring Fremantle outfit.
I really think people need to reserve there judgment because this judgment is going to bite you on the ASS :)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
battye
Saintsational Legend

"The Peake" played really well tonight, I think I gave him a vote or two in the other thread :)

I would have liked to have seen him take on the man one the flank, I forget which point of the game it was. What he did was fine (handball to Gram over the top if I recall correctly) but had he sold the dummy and ran past, he would have been 50m out and in a good position to have a shot - which I think would have been good for his confidence.
. honestly from what ive seen of him so far he looks like hes a bit fearful of making mistakes hence why he is not using as much of his pace and flair in the games
Agreed, see my point above.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im amazed some people here are being negative or lukewarm on this guy. peakey is looking ok. he could be good. i reckon hes not far off playing a blinder. hes slowly growing in confidence. im quite impressed.
as someone else pointed out - peakey is the man to make lovett a forgotten man. he can use his dash and can kick a goal. just what weve crying out for in the last 12 months....

wasaintsfan
Club Player

peakes getting better and better.... kicked 4 goals for us.. has added what we asked for over the preseason.. i goal kicking mid. and hes going to grow in confidence..

next week will be a real test for him but i think he'll present even better then this week... never know by round 22 may have 30-40 goals to his name... cant ask for more then that in my eyes in his first year

once he clicks into gear and uses his pace and long kick its going to hurt teams especially if goddard and gram get on their bikes too

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Some people on here make Matty Lloyd sound like a footy guru...

The NAB cup is a vague at best indicator for the season ahead.

Each club, and each player for that matter use it for different purposes.

To judge Peake's worth on his NAB cup form is moronic.

For starters, he's shown he has speed and good skill, which is why he was recruited.

And another point, probably the most important one, is that he would still be learning our game plan, and his role within it...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

To me, he looks as though he could be anywhere between Aaron Fiora and Heath Black.

Please let him be Black!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs