Tommy Walsh Debut?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RooyForPresident
Club Player

Tommy Walsh Debut?

When do you guys think he'll get his first game? I reckon he'll start around R13-16. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this :) :P

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

No way near it, please i hope you are joking

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How did he play in the first 12 rounds. Obviously better than I thought he would. At least he didnt get an injury in the first half of the year.

RooyForPresident
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:How did he play in the first 12 rounds. Obviously better than I thought he would. At least he didnt get an injury in the first half of the year.
Plugster, I clearly stated DEBUT. Stop trying to act cool in front of your fans and just try be normal like other saints fans.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RooyForPresident wrote:
plugger66 wrote:How did he play in the first 12 rounds. Obviously better than I thought he would. At least he didnt get an injury in the first half of the year.
Plugster, I clearly stated DEBUT. Stop trying to act cool in front of your fans and just try be normal like other saints fans.
Why should I be normal when you clearly are not trying? By the way I have absolutely no fans on this site.

RooyForPresident
Club Player

Not trying to what? Have a smart ass response to every post?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Walsh Debut?

RooyForPresident wrote:When do you guys think he'll get his first game? I reckon he'll start around R13-16. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this :) :P
rooeyforpresident- he is only a rookie and word is he has lots yet to learn
I would be interested to hear how he played on Saturday from anyone who went,
or anyone who can pop down to the sandy practice match next week

there would be several in front of him for any LTI or rookie upgrade positions that come available-
gaertner had a good period during the nAB cup
Simpkin has shown plenty
Fisher has experience
Mcgrath held down sandy ruck late in 2009
Hutchings

and to be hoped that we would not have that many injuries...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He has played what 3-4 games of footie now in his life???

Lyon selects on demonstrated performance.

He needs to build a track record before anyone can start guessing when he may or may not debut....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

From the very little I have seen or read about Tommy Walsh I would seriously doubt that he would be be considered for senior selection until the pre-season of 2012 at the earliest. Let him learn the game !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am sure that the club has his playing future all mapped out, and equally sure it will include a debut before 2012.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote: rooeyforpresident- he is only a rookie and word is he has lots yet to learn
plugger66 is not a rookie any more but I agree he still has lots to learn

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Walsh will struggle to get a senior game for Sandy from the practice matches I've seen.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
saintbrat wrote: rooeyforpresident- he is only a rookie and word is he has lots yet to learn
plugger66 is not a rookie any more
Does that mean he has graduated from kindy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
RooyForPresident wrote:
Why should I be normal when you clearly are not trying? By the way I have absolutely no fans on this site.

never a truer word have you spoken..... :wink: :wink: :twisted: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rexy
SS Life Member

Whilst i doubt that Walsh is likely to debut for the senior side any time soon, I would have thought we would be hoping for him to come on a lot quicker than 2 years? If the kid is the kind of athelete and competitor that his reputation suggests the I would like to think he will be a regular VFL senior player by mid year and be pushing for selection at AFL level early in 2011!

Maybe this year?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Whilst i doubt that Walsh is likely to debut for the senior side any time soon, I would have thought we would be hoping for him to come on a lot quicker than 2 years? If the kid is the kind of athelete and competitor that his reputation suggests the I would like to think he will be a regular VFL senior player by mid year and be pushing for selection at AFL level early in 2011!
I'll bow to those who have actually seen Tommy train and/or play when they say he's a long, long way off.

However as I've said before, I think (and hope) his improvement may become more rapid once he starts playing games on a weekly basis. Already there's suggestions this happening (eg hopeless in intra-club but showing a bit at Full Back for the Zebs). He was an elite player back in Ireland so once he becomes familiar with the nuances of our game he may do a "Marty Clarke".

Of course his biggest problem, even when the penny drops, is forcing his way into an extremely strong side that has managed to keep out some very talented kids who have played aussie rules all their lives.

But I agree with rexy - even if we accept he probably won't get a game this year, why should we simply exclude 2011 and pencil him in for 2012?

A full year at VFL level followed by another full pre season and anything is possible :)

zebraman
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Walsh will struggle to get a senior game for Sandy from the practice matches I've seen.
I've seen him in all 3 games for Sandy...for a guy who has just started to play the game he has what I consider to be a remarkably good understanding of the game...his greatest strength is one on one battles...the guy is super strong and very difficult to get around or be brushed aside...he has however make a couple of basic mistakes which given his limited time in the game is understandable...things like handballing to a guy who is already under pressure...but then again...that's what plenty of experienced Melbourne players have done and are still doing...those mistakes have been punished at VFL level so at AFL level even more so...

But...as this year goes on I think he will be an absolute gun...bear in mind he's trying to break into a Grand Final side who are are short odds for this years flag...if he was at Melbourne he'd most probably have played last week....

His progress this year is something for Saints fans to really look forward to

I think Jim Stynes played at Prahran for a year before playing senior footy with Melbourne

So let's not rush the guy...he has the potential to a very good AFL footballer...2011 could be his year...anything before that would be a huge bonus

Solar
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Walsh will struggle to get a senior game for Sandy from the practice matches I've seen.
I've seen him in all 3 games for Sandy...for a guy who has just started to play the game he has what I consider to be a remarkably good understanding of the game...his greatest strength is one on one battles...the guy is super strong and very difficult to get around or be brushed aside...he has however make a couple of basic mistakes which given his limited time in the game is understandable...things like handballing to a guy who is already under pressure...but then again...that's what plenty of experienced Melbourne players have done and are still doing...those mistakes have been punished at VFL level so at AFL level even more so...

But...as this year goes on I think he will be an absolute gun...bear in mind he's trying to break into a Grand Final side who are are short odds for this years flag...if he was at Melbourne he'd most probably have played last week....

I think Jim Stynes played at Prahran for a year before playing senior footy with Melbourne

So let's not rush the guy...he has the potential to a very good AFL footballer...2011 could be his year...anything before that would be a huge bonus
will have to get down to sandy games soon

how is his marking going? that was the thing that impressed me the most, has fantastic hands and marking ability

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:
I've seen him in all 3 games for Sandy...for a guy who has just started to play the game he has what I consider to be a remarkably good understanding of the game...
Thanks for those comments.

And yes Tommy has now played..what 3 or 4 games of football? Yet can already play ok at VFL level.

Who knows how much yet he will improve...but he is already going very very well given his starting point.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 31 Mar 2010 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

zebraman
Club Player

Solar wrote:
zebraman wrote:

will have to get down to sandy games soon

how is his marking going? that was the thing that impressed me the most, has fantastic hands and marking ability
You're right...he has very good hands and has taken plenty of marks under pressure...in fact against Box Hill I asked one of their players how it felt to be beaten by a guy playing his first real competitive game.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Anyone see how he has gone in the matches for Sandy?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Anyone see how he has gone in the matches for Sandy?
See Zebraman's post above :idea:

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Anyone see how he has gone in the matches for Sandy?
See Zebraman's post above :idea:
Didnt catch that, Positives, He will get more understanding of the game, comes with time

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with all you said zebraman.

For me his biggest hurdle is reading the play. Playing down back allows him to observe and be led to the ball.

Physically he looks great and his kicking is pretty good. I too think he will make it, but not as quickly as some on here think. It is a steep learning curve.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell