The Armitage vs Ball file

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The Armitage vs Ball file

Was argued all pre season that this was Armo's chance,and he would take over the role of Ball's.

I for one believe he can take that role with as much success if not more than Ball's 09 put out.

So,round 1,you'd have to say a dissapointing one for Armo. Similar to his game against the swans in the NAB

5 kicks,5 handballs,1 mark,8 tackles, 4 frees against.

The one pleasing aspect of his game last night was his ability to still contribute with tackling pressure.

Week one's points go to Ball

Bring back the Lockett era
BelfastSaint
Club Player

What are Balls stats for this round ............?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Armitage vs Ball file

jonesy wrote:

How so. Ball has not even played yet?

The Swans game was a relatively low posession high pressure game. . Armo TOG was 69%.

Good sign from Armo was 8 tackles...the highest at the Saints.

Armo has only now played 20 games in total...so he has a lot of upside yet. I think the theory is that he is not yet better than Ball (which was why Ball was preferred for the GF), but that with games and experience growth that he will become better than Ball.So lets get twenty games into this season him and improve him as a player.

Let's focus on his improvement during the year rather than just where he is at right now.

Ditto for Ben.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:What are Balls stats for this round ............?
We're talking hypotheticals.

This is not a thread aimed at bagging Armo,I rate Armo. It'll just be interesting to make the comparison each week,as that's all we talked about in the preseason...

BelfastSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:

This is not a thread aimed at bagging Armo,I rate Armo. It'll just be interesting to make the comparison each week,as that's all we talked about in the preseason...
Yes but hypothetically you already have Ball ahead of Armitage when Ball hasnt even touched the pill yet ........ perhaps just a touch premature ...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Yes but hypothetically you already have Ball ahead of Armitage when Ball hasnt even touched the pill yet ........ perhaps just a touch premature ...
You're missing my point. I'm not rating Armo vs Ball this year. I'm rating Armo vs Ball(09)....too see if we can get an improvement in the list.

Pointless excersise? Perhaps......I was bored

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Armitage was best on ground against the Hawk's last year while Ball was a virtual by-stander in the same game.

Whether Armo can perform consistently remains to be seen - yet consistency was not Ball's strength last year.

Put it this way Armo needs to surpass Ball's output last year - which was average and not much to aim for.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Armitage was best on ground against the Hawk's last year while Ball was a virtual by-stander in the same game.

Whether Armo can perform consistently remains to be seen - yet consistency was not Ball's strength last year.

Put it this way Armo needs to surpass Ball's output last year - which was average and not much to aim for.
Didn't Bally get 2 votes in that game last year? For memory he and Armo were the best two on the ground

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

hi jonesy

I think you might be right ... Ball was okay too that game on second thoughts.

Sainterone
Club Player

R1 to Armitage

He played for the Saints and gave it his all.
ball doesn't play for our team anymore...

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee, I think it's a bit rough comparing Armo to Ball in this way.

I thought Armo was ok last night, but - if he is going to play in the middle of the midfield (and I'm not sure if that is where he was playing) - he needs to learn to position himself a bit better: my impression was that he kept getting to contests a bit late.

I'm still not sure Armo is ultimately going to make it as an in and under midfielder (if he doesn't, he might still be extremely useful as a small forward a la McQualter, Scheider, etc.).

But he needs to be given the best part of a season in the role before people start comparing him seriously to Ball.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

For three years this site used to bag Goddard with many questioning if he'd ever become half decent,......yada yada

I remember Hayes copping it from numbnuts in his first three years, he's too slow, he's too......yada yada

All along it was very obvious that Goddard would eventually become elite, well it was obvious to me anyway,

I never doubted Hayes in his first three years either,

My point is Armitage will become elite, he's only played about 20 games and already everyone expects him to be Luke Hodge,

This year with Ball gone, he will get the opportunities and valuable experience that will help fast track his development.

Armitage, Steven and Geary will all profit from the loss of Ball, which IMO will leave us in a better position!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Didn't Bally get 2 votes in that game last year? For memory he and Armo were the best two on the ground
Almost. Milney got 2 and Ball 1

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Reckon that Geary goes ok....he would be the one I'd compare to Ball.

roxanne
Club Player

I agree - if we have to compare a player (and I seriously wish we could let it go) it's Geary. I believe Geary can give us what the coaching staff we're wanting from Luke ie: effectiveness in defence and attack

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Armo TOG was 69%.
He's already 19% better.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ace
Saintsational Legend

Ball got ZERO possessions and ZERO tackles for St Kilda at the weekend.
Armitage got 10 possessions and 8 tackles for St Kilda at the weekend.

In my book that makes Armitage a 10 possession and 8 tackle better player for St Kilda than Ball.
AND he comes significantly cheaper.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
jonesy wrote:

How so. Ball has not even played yet?

The Swans game was a relatively low posession high pressure game. . Armo TOG was 69%.

Good sign from Armo was 8 tackles...the highest at the Saints.

Armo has only now played 20 games in total...so he has a lot of upside yet. I think the theory is that he is not yet better than Ball (which was why Ball was preferred for the GF), but that with games and experience growth that he will become better than Ball.So lets get twenty games into this season him and improve him as a player.

Let's focus on his improvement during the year rather than just where he is at right now.

Ditto for Ben.
Where do you find TOG stats.
The AFL don't show TOG.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
wasaintsfan
Club Player

dont forget armos hitout

balls had 4 handballs!!!!! theyve learnt not to let him kick....

battye
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Reckon that Geary goes ok....he would be the one I'd compare to Ball.
Yeah, I was about to say I hadn't seen a thread on Geary. He had a good game last night.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Watching the game on TV...

Ball did ok. Has done maybe 4-5 good things in packs but really haven't noticed him for large periods of the game.

Tackling has been first rate as usual.

I can get why Pies fans would be happy to have him with his in and under work but dare I say it, he didn't really influence the game. I wonder how C'wood fans will respond to him when the teams under the pump coz he doesn't really play well against momentum.

I'd be pretty surprised if he'd had more than 15 possessions

Would be interesting to see who his opponents were and the influence they had.

I'd call this round either a nil all draw or maybe a slight win to Ball but certainly nothing i'd be happy with if i was either player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Where do you find TOG stats.
The AFL don't show TOG.
Well today it was in The Age

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Watching the game on TV...

Ball did ok. Has done maybe 4-5 good things in packs but really haven't noticed him for large periods of the game.

I can get why Pies fans would be happy to have him with his in and under work but dare I say it, he didn't really influence the game. I wonder how C'wood fans will respond to him when the teams under the pump coz he doesn't really play well against momentum.

I'd call this round either a nil all draw or maybe a slight win to Ball but certainly nothing i'd be happy with if i was either player.
Ball was about the bottom ranked Pie Mid today...which is pretty much where he was at the Saints in 2009.

Now apparently some had Ball being repressed by the Lyon Ogre...but all I saw in Ball today was what I saw at the Saints the last two seasons. Now I am sure in some games he will go better...and in some worse. But he will not be the star that many of the Pie's fans were thinking.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:Watching the game on TV...

Ball was about the bottom ranked Pie Mid today...which is pretty much where he was at the Saints in 2009.
Shane O'Bree was their worst mid.

As much as we wanted him to perform badly, Ball was good, and it made me realise that we would still be a much better side with him in it.

No doubt about that in my mind.

And not only will Ball get better as he continues to learn more about his teammates' habits but Swan, Didak, Pendlebury will only benefit from him being in their side as last season he was the one type of player they really lacked in midfield.