Master Defense...then Master Attack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Master Defense...then Master Attack

I think we have mastered the defensive side of the game....and that in 2010 we will see quite a number of offensive tweaks rolled out....

That is what my crystal ball sees..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope so...

20 more inside 50's in a half in the GF,amazing figures,yet lost.

I'm not sure where the extra goals are going to come from this year however. We don't have a lot of natural goal kicking talent

Bring back the Lockett era
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Sure it's a typo but defense is NFL, defence is AFL, dee-fence is NBL :wink:

supercoach
Club Player

agreed, also, we were the first team to win the first 3 quarters of the gf and lose, and the first team to win 19 straight and lose the gf

just our luck we came up against a team also having one of its greatest eras

Gilbert=legend
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

supercoach wrote:just our luck we came up against a team also having one of its greatest eras
The penny has dropped :x

saintlee
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Let's hope so...

I'm not sure where the extra goals are going to come from this year however. We don't have a lot of natural goal kicking talent
The problem is goal-conversion.....we already generate enough goal scoring oppotunities.....we are not a very accurate team in front of goals and it drives me crazy!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I can't wait to see what tricks Ross has up his sleeve for us this season and be assured he has :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:

The problem is goal-conversion.....we already generate enough goal scoring oppotunities.....we are not a very accurate team in front of goals and it drives me crazy!
Geelong's forwards are not the most accurate in front of goal, and they have managed to get by.

I think the improvement needs to come from the boys in the midfield, and I am sure this is already an aspect that they are working on judging from the NAB cup.

The accuracy needs to improve over time, but the shots on goal by our mids was up I think?

Against Freo
Armo 3 shots (1)
Gram 3 shots (2)
Geary 1 shots (1)

Against Dogs
Gram 4 shots (1)
Goddard 2 shots (1)
Geary 1 shots (1)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I agree that in 2010 that I think getting more goals from our mids will be one of the areas of focus.

Was very noticeable with Armo that he would work his way forward.

Gram was being set up for goals by leaving space in the forward line for him to run into...and his kicking at goal was better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintlee
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I agree that in 2010 that I think getting more goals from our mids will be one of the areas of focus.

Was very noticeable with Armo that he would work his way forward.

Gram was being set up for goals by leaving space in the forward line for him to run into...and his kicking at goal was better.
Gram's goalkicking would want to get better, his conversion rate was horrible last year if my memory is correct.....I love watching him storm in for a shot on goal, I just wish he was more accurate!

saintlee
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Geelong's forwards are not the most accurate in front of goal, and they have managed to get by.
Geelong, like us, let a flag slip through their fingers because of poor conversion....it is one my biggest gripes with this team, we create plenty of opportunities, but don't convert them as much as I would like...

ace
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Sure it's a typo but defense is NFL, defence is AFL, dee-fence is NBL :wink:
da fence in the backyard.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What's next, master bate?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I think master midfield or midfield pressure is probably the most important. If we win the clearances and apply the necessary pressure when we don't have the ball, our defence and forward line will be stronger.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Sure it's a typo but defense is NFL, defence is AFL, dee-fence is NBL :wink:
da fence in the backyard.
or da backyard :wink:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If only we had someone who could kick 5 goals in a quarter (in about the only full quarter he played inside 50 last year), like Brendan Goddard. Now that would be awesome! How could we get him to our club?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The conversion question is an interesting one.

Undoubtedly we would have won the GF if we had taken more of our chances (perhaps just one more out of 8 gettable ones!!).

However, it is often the case that teams struggle to convert chances in big games. Perhaps the most surprising thing last year was how consistently Geelong converted their shots on goal.

Geelong are not typically a sharpshooting team in the H&A, so to me it says a lot about their ability to handle pressure because they were playing their third successive GF and had already won one.

On this basis, I tend to agree with the view that it's our midfield that most needs to step up in 2010. It was generally good during 2009, but overly dependent on Lenny and can only have been weakened (we can argue about how much) by the departure of Ball.

If we make another GF this year, I expect that we will kick much better for goal. But who is going to play the role that Ball played in the first half? That's what needs to be worked out.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:The conversion question is an interesting one.

Undoubtedly we would have won the GF if we had taken more of our chances (perhaps just one more out of 8 gettable ones!!).

However, it is often the case that teams struggle to convert chances in big games. Perhaps the most surprising thing last year was how consistently Geelong converted their shots on goal.

Geelong are not typically a sharpshooting team in the H&A, so to me it says a lot about their ability to handle pressure because they were playing their third successive GF and had already won one.

On this basis, I tend to agree with the view that it's our midfield that most needs to step up in 2010. It was generally good during 2009, but overly dependent on Lenny and can only have been weakened (we can argue about how much) by the departure of Ball.

If we make another GF this year, I expect that we will kick much better for goal. But who is going to play the role that Ball played in the first half? That's what needs to be worked out.
I think it would be fair to say that Armitage has earned his chance to step up and fill this role, his form has been good thus far and he even commanded a tag in the Sydney game.

He does alright in the clearances, and importantly for us, he likes a goal which could prove to be very relevant if the OP's prediction is accurate.

Interestingly, if you buy into opinion pieces, Matthew Llyod predicts Dave is our X-Factor this year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Too much civility on this thread. Forget Master Defence and Master Attack.

We need Master Bait

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift