How unfair is Round 22 to the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

How unfair is Round 22 to the Saints?

I was just having a quick look at the fixture and in Round 22:

Hawthorn plays at the G (home)
Collingwood plays at the G (home)
Geelong plays at SS (home)
WB plays at ES (home)
Essendon plays at ES (home)
Brisbane plays at the Gabba (home)
Adelaide plays at AAMI (home)
North Melbourne at ES (home)

All these teams would be favoured or in contention to make the Top 8.

So where does last year's Grand Finalist and premiership favorite play.

Adelaide - AWAY

You would think they we have earned the right to play our Round 22 game at home.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Typical.

rexy
SS Life Member

Its a draw. All teams play 11 home and 11 away. In round 22 8 teams are home 8 are away???

just the way it goes. You dont earn a draw, it just is what it is.

IMO

Maybe this year?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Its a draw. All teams play 11 home and 11 away. In round 22 8 teams are home 8 are away???

IMO
agree rexy. whole new season. everyone starts on 0 points. everyone starts equal on the grid. noone owes us nothing.

(yes double negative i know u pedants)

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Its a draw. All teams play 11 home and 11 away. In round 22 8 teams are home 8 are away???

IMO
It is a draw, but an uneven draw. You've opened a can of worms that has been opened, resealed and reopened so many times, that I'm not even going to bother arguing.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

IMO
agree rexy. whole new season. everyone starts on 0 points. everyone starts equal on the grid. noone owes us nothing.

Do you and Rexy work for the AFL?

rexy
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

IMO

Are you a Pom? :P

Maybe this year?
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I have to make a point now, can't help it.

To extend the theory of earning the right.

Ok if we are on top of the ladder, let's just play Adelaide in Adelaide on the Sunday night game of Round 22. Have Collingwood play Hawthorn on the Friday night before. Then let's play Collingwood (eg 4th) on the Friday night at the MCG on the first week of the finals. We can then have a 5 day break coming from interstate and they can have a 7 day break after playing in their home town and play on their home ground.

Sounds fair.

After all, a draw is a draw, and no one earns the right.

Look up and see the bigger picture boys instead of arguing for the sake of it.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

IMO

Are you a Pom? :P
Are you a racist?

What if I was an Englishman or woman? Does that matter with regard to my opinion?

Maybe I am actually a handicapped Indian lesbian student with one arm who has Iraqi Muslim parents and is homeless...oh and I have AIDS too...and live in Alice Springs with my Aboriginal alcoholic uncle.

Would you have a problem with that?
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 21 Mar 2010 1:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

IMO
Where are the rolling eyes?

Surely you're being sarcastic.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

If that's the only thing we have to worry about this season, I'm pretty happy with it. Besides, it's a home game for me! Could be the play-off for a top 4 spot...exciting. 8-)

bozza1980
Club Player

The easiest solution is that the WA teams play each other, the SA teams play each other and Brisbane play Sydney. In two years time no travel at all would be required as West Sydney could play Sydney and Brisbane v Gold Coast.

If the draw is structured this way, this year one team would travel interstate, and if Sydney was given the bye in the last round next year there would be no need for interstate travel in the last round ever again.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

IMO
In the AFL you definately don't earn a draw, you get gifted one generally based on your clubs wealth and crownd pulling power....

Just ask Eddy, and Collingwood.

If you are for a second suggesting that the draw is fair you are dreaming.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:If that's the only thing we have to worry about this season, I'm pretty happy with it. Besides, it's a home game for me! Could be the play-off for a top 4 spot...exciting. 8-)
Good that it's a home game for you, degruch. I know what it is like to live interstate and not see your team. :wink:
Top 4 is great, so is making the GF but I'm not seeing a lot of joy and happiness about that. :cry:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:The easiest solution is that the WA teams play each other, the SA teams play each other and Brisbane play Sydney. In two years time no travel at all would be required as West Sydney could play Sydney and Brisbane v Gold Coast.

If the draw is structured this way, this year one team would travel interstate, and if Sydney was given the bye in the last round next year there would be no need for interstate travel in the last round ever again.
I have heard that suggestion before. The interstate teams worry that the derbys are very physical and like a final so they are buggered when it get to finals. However, I think it might be the best solution IMHO.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

who cares if we have to travel to adelaide.. its a better prep into the finals then melbourne at mcg our intensity dropped off badly from our loss against essendon until grandfinal day

in which we were as hard as we could be but with all systems failing for most of the game we were exposed (which may not have happened if we didnt have a light draw towards the last 4 rounds and week 1 of finals)

the bulldogs we didnt win on our terms and they didnt outplay us instead they tried to clog the game up as did we and it was a low scoring scrap

a tough slog to bring the boys up for finals footy is just what they need especially when thats whats expected to happen come finals against the other heavy weights

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Let's be clear. It's a FIXture not a draw.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Let's be clear. It's a FIXture not a draw.
Exactly, and until we can command a better deal we just have to put up with it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
degruch wrote:If that's the only thing we have to worry about this season, I'm pretty happy with it. Besides, it's a home game for me! Could be the play-off for a top 4 spot...exciting. 8-)
Good that it's a home game for you, degruch. I know what it is like to live interstate and not see your team. :wink:
Milan Faletic might be there too!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

IMO
It is not a draw at all.

AT ALL.

Explain Collingwood's "Draw" then.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Let's not bother wasting our time on other teams draws. We have what we have and I for one think our draw is not too bad despite the multiple w.a trips within a few weeks. A minor plane trip to s.a and back is not going to be the reason we do or do not succeed this year.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:I have to make a point now, can't help it.

To extend the theory of earning the right.

Ok if we are on top of the ladder, let's just play Adelaide in Adelaide on the Sunday night game of Round 22. Have Collingwood play Hawthorn on the Friday night before. Then let's play Collingwood (eg 4th) on the Friday night at the MCG on the first week of the finals. We can then have a 5 day break coming from interstate and they can have a 7 day break after playing in their home town and play on their home ground.

Sounds fair.

After all, a draw is a draw, and no one earns the right.

Look up and see the bigger picture boys instead of arguing for the sake of it.
If we are on top of the ladder it won't be a Sunday night. They are still yet to determine the days of the games for the last round due to this exact reason. I'd say at about round 19 the games will then be decided.

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
matrix
Saintsational Legend

fine by me
wont have to drive 750kms for the game at least

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

They know we'll play three finals at the MCG so they are giving the rest of the country an opportunity to see the Saints at a venue where we won both our games last year.

And who's to say that West Coast, Carlton, Sydney and Port Adelaide won't be contenders this year.

Two of the AFL lovechilds, Pies and Dogs played interstate in Round 22 of 2008.

Geelong played their last game away in 2007. That really hurt them!

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes I almost understand why Plugger66 gets so frustrated

Its a national competition so someone has to play away in Round 22. No its not perfect, yes Collingood get away with murder, but contrary to popular belief the AFL dont sit down and work out ways to shaft St Kilda every year

Weve only travelled Interstate for Round 22 once in the last 10 years...so we really cant grizzle IMO...maybe its just our turn??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor