Why do we have to wait till last.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should the NAB cup be replaced with 5 extra rounds of the Home and Away season?

Poll ended at Sun 28 Mar 2010 10:58am

No
49%
yes
51%

Total votes: 39

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Why do we have to wait till last.

Rugby Union super 14 started a few weeks ago, there has already been 2 rounds of NRL, even formula 1 has started. Surely there is a case to start the home and away rounds much sooner. Replace the Nab cup with the real stuff, that allows 5 extra rounds, making a just acceptable half a year of home and away rounds instead of the measly 5 months.
This year we're waiting till April to see st kilda in melbourne.

Although 27 rounds still leaves an imbalance of being unable to play every team twice, maybe the draw could be factored that the top teams from the previous year only play the bottom teams once in the home away season to even the draw up. Or am i dreaming to expect any fairness from the AFL hierarchy.

Found myself watching both super 14 and NRL this weekend, i wonder how many new to australia or young kids turn to these sports as their main passion, simply because they start their seasons earlier.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

no
keep it the way it is
who cares if we are last

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When we have the 18 teams in the AFL, maybe it would be time to consider breaking it into two sectors of 9, each team playing the teams in its sector twice and the other sector once, which would make it a 25 match season.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:When we have the 18 teams in the AFL, maybe it would be time to consider breaking it into two sectors of 9, each team playing the teams in its sector twice and the other sector once, which would make it a 25 match season.
Agree. I wouldn't have 5 extra games, that is over a month of football. Maybe 3 games would work.

Saintersss
Club Player

You do realise that teams need to play practise matches before the season right? Well thats all the NAB cup is... practise matches. NAB cup or not, teams are still going to have 4-5 practise matches before the season starts, except that with the NAB cup we at least get to watch our team on T.V a bit earlier than when the season starts.

rexy
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:When we have the 18 teams in the AFL, maybe it would be time to consider breaking it into two sectors of 9, each team playing the teams in its sector twice and the other sector once, which would make it a 25 match season.
Good model I think Barry, 25 game season, shorter preseason and a system to who you play twice in the year.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The AFL loves the NFL and I have no doubt a 2 conference system will appear in the next few years.

Not sure how they will divvy up the conferences.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** it
when theres 18 teams, play 36 rounds of footy and put 8 on the bench

8-)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Scrap the NAB cup and have just two practice matches before getting into the real thing.

In the 18 team competition there should be 26 rounds and fixtures should be set over 2 seasons meaning that over 2 years you play every team 3 times.

IMO conferences can not be allowed to be brought in, would be an absolute disgrace IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

How many NAB Cup games get played in 30deg+ heat? Plenty

You cant play at the MCG until the end of March (current Round 1)

I'm not saying the NAB Cup is the perfect current solution but its not just as easy as saying "start the season 4 weeks early"

I dont want to be playing for 4 points in 36deg heat thanks very much

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

They can cut the home and away season to 18 games and extend the finals series. Flog away for 22 rounds to try and reach the finals,then one bad week and you're out?

Bring back the Lockett era
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Why do we have to wait till last.

hilairehinshelwood wrote:
Found myself watching both super 14 and NRL this weekend, i wonder how many new to australia or young kids turn to these sports as their main passion, simply because they start their seasons earlier.
Have you seen the crowds at the NRL? I'd say not many

Furtius Quo Rdelious
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

In 2 years or even next year there will be no NAB cup but there will never be more than 24 rounds which will happen next year with 2 byes. The following year there will be 24 games. That will be the final total because of grounds. I think there will be a couple of intra clubs and a couple of organised praccy matches.

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Australia's population is forecast to grow to 35 million, so i think there will be more than the 2 known extra franchises joining the AFL in coming years. A Tasmanian and a 3rd Perth team will make 20 and then i think you can look at having 2 divisons a premier and a second division.

How great to involve a whole meaning to so many extra fixtures if the last placed premier division team had to be relegated to the lower division. Also the prize of a finals series for the second division teams to fight it out to replace the relegated team would mean both divisions would be playing for finals. Also a division/league of 10 means 27 weeks fits nicely in that each team plays each other 3 times, allowing for a home and away series to last half a year, instead of the measly 5 months.
Cricket crowds can be easily housed at Junction Oval for the overlap of seasons and hot weather is a bit hit and miss, throughout the year in most capital cities.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hilairehinshelwood wrote:Australia's population is forecast to grow to 35 million, so i think there will be more than the 2 known extra franchises joining the AFL in coming years. A Tasmanian and a 3rd Perth team will make 20 and then i think you can look at having 2 divisons a premier and a second division.

How great to involve a whole meaning to so many extra fixtures if the last placed premier division team had to be relegated to the lower division. Also the prize of a finals series for the second division teams to fight it out to replace the relegated team would mean both divisions would be playing for finals. Also a division/league of 10 means 27 weeks fits nicely in that each team plays each other 3 times, allowing for a home and away series to last half a year, instead of the measly 5 months.
Cricket crowds can be easily housed at Junction Oval for the overlap of seasons and hot weather is a bit hit and miss, throughout the year in most capital cities.
There will never be a first and second division. This isnt English soccer. We may have 2 divisions but they will be equal.