Another Possibity for FB?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Another Possibity for FB?

Most people on here will think I'm crazy but anyway

Rhys Stanley would be pretty handy at full back IMO.

Some people have touted him as Rooeys replacement or even taking Kosi's spot right now, but I think he could be of use down back.

The G train started his career as a handy full back.

He is as quick as they come. So he'd be good on the lead.

He's tall and lanky Dustin Fletcher esq.

He appears to be pretty strong for one on ones...he'd need to bulk up but even now I still think he'd go ok.

And what strength he lacked I'm sure his height and leap would make up for.

His pace, would allow him to run, carry, and break the lines, a bit like a taller Gilbo.

Anyone else see this as a possibilty?

Btw sorry if this has already been discussed...

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I like your lateral thinking but I think at his level of experience he would panic in the heat of battle and would also get thrown around a bit given his lack of core strength.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Who?

saint vince
Club Player

What is wrong with sticking with the best back 6 we have ever had on the park and lead us to a grand final last year.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:I like your lateral thinking but I think at his level of experience he would panic in the heat of battle and would also get thrown around a bit given his lack of core strength.
For me Zac is our FB, but he has lost some weight and as a result has been thrown around a bit during the preseason. An he has also panicked at times also, showing that he's lost some of the confidence that he showed last year.

If Zac can regain last years form he has no problems at holding his spot, but if he can't do that we may need to find an alternative quick, also taking into account that Sam Fisher is out for possibly upto 6 weeks.

In my opinion RS appears to be the best out of our young talls, even despite the fact that he's a forward

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saint vince wrote:What is wrong with sticking with the best back 6 we have ever had on the park and lead us to a grand final last year.
Fisher is injured, and Zac is unfit and out of form.

Thats why...

Btw I haven't written off Zac yet, but he'll need to lift pretty quick.

saintlee
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:For me Zac is our FB, but he has lost some weight and as a result has been thrown around a bit during the preseason. An he has also panicked at times also, showing that he's lost some of the confidence that he showed last year.
I haven't paid super attention to Zac this preseason, but apart from Barry Hall, who has thrown Zac around?

Fearless
Club Player

Two points:

1. Sydney match-ups will drive the decision on who replaces Sam Fisher.

2. We are THE best defensive team and the 18 players on the ground each play a defensive role.

My view is James Gwilt deserves a chance at the back half lead role.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If we're going to mount a realistic assault on this year's flag it's gonna have to be with Zac, or another experienced player, at FB.

If people really think we'll be able to compete with the likes of Geelong, the Bulldogs, a resurgent Hawks etc with inexperienced kids like Stanley, Johnson, Simpkin et al minding the opposition key forwards then they must be smoking the really good stuff.

Those kids have enormous potential but they're not ready to do battle against the big boys in 2010.

If they do end up playing seniors this year, particularly in key posts, it will be a sure indication that we're in panic mode.

I sure as hell hope it doesn't come to that!
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Mon 15 Apr 2013 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saintlee wrote:
Leo.J wrote:For me Zac is our FB, but he has lost some weight and as a result has been thrown around a bit during the preseason. An he has also panicked at times also, showing that he's lost some of the confidence that he showed last year.
I haven't paid super attention to Zac this preseason, but apart from Barry Hall, who has thrown Zac around?
I remember seeing him being moved out of position pretty easily against the Pies and the Swans.

Leigh Brown and possibly Cloke. And against the Swans their new young key forward moved him off the ball pretty well also.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Wouldnt like to see Stanley manning up on Brown or Fevola, to name just two.
We have the best defensive team in the comp, and I believe we will go with that six against Sydney, with probably Gwilt coming in for Chips

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it's an opinion and a discussion point, BUT.....

It feels to me that a lot on here seem to have written Zac off........

Hall kicked 2 goals in the first 3 quarters (minus Sam Fisher).

Yes Hall kicked 5 in the last with Zac's leg being bandaged as a result of bruising....

Zac is a good full back and that's where he is going to play.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ace
Saintsational Legend

I thought Tommy Walsh playing at full back in the Sandringham practice match (before he was rear ended) was far more interesting.

Many may have seen him as a forward propect but any review of the clubs list reveals a lack of genuine tall defenders who can match it physically with likes of Hall and Brown but also the pace of Fevola and Franklin.

The differences between grooming Stanley and Walsh for the role is that eventually I would expect Walsh to be better below his knees and better in the heavy traffic that is often found deep in defence but most importantly able to hold his ground physically.

The drawbacks of course are the three things a defender can not afford as the punishment on the scoreboard is swift, missing the target, dropping the mark and other clangers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its up to everyone to help out

That wont be the last time BBBBH kicks 7 this year . He's being supplied by the most gilt-edged group of kicking skills in the comp, I could kick 7 with Gilbee, Cooney, Higgins Cross and Boyd feeding me lace out

Must make sure that Zacs opponent is not allowed to compete one out with him. Kicks forward must be speculative and indirect enough to allow blokes to get back and help

Agree though, whilst Gwilts run off a flank has been good this preseason, he's not foreign to a KP role.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I think a Back 6 of:

Baker Dawson Blake
Gilbert Gwilt Gram...

with Dempster/Miles coming off the bench and Goddard always an option is not brilliant, but solid enough to not lose us too many games while Chips is out.

Good forwards will kick bags even against very good full-backs, Zac is no champion but he is solid and the best we've got. It is our team defence which will win us games.

Also, could Ray ever play key-position? He has such good hands as we know and is only 2cm shorter than Blake.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:

For me Zac is our FB, but he has lost some weight and as a result has been thrown around a bit during the preseason.
So you want to put someone even skinnier at FB then?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Leo.J
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

For me Zac is our FB, but he has lost some weight and as a result has been thrown around a bit during the preseason.
So you want to put someone even skinnier at FB then?
Zac is listed at 95kg, but I'm not sure he is still 95kg atm.

Rhys is 90kg, but he's 5cm taller and a fair bit quicker.

AFAIC Zac is the man for the job, he was arguably the best FB in the comp, however he appears not to be where he needs to be a fortnight out from round 1.

Rhys has shown so far that he's going to cope with the rigours of the AFL. And I know RL has his apprenticeship theory, but some guys are good enough to learn on the job...

Anyway it was just an idea, I'm not that sold on it myself.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Fisher went down early.

Zac in not 100%

Gilbert doesn't look 100% and came off in the last quarter

Blake is also not 100%

And dare I say, don't forget about Raph Clarke.

That's 5 out of our 6 defenders.

I wouldn't worry too much yet.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
[AFAIC Zac is the man for the job, he was arguably the best FB in the comp, .
Hey I like Zac and he is our best current option for FB...but lets not get carried away. He was no where near the best FB in the comp.

Leo.J wrote:
Rhys has shown so far that he's going to cope with the rigours of the AFL. .
I ama HUGE Stanley fan and have been for a while, but I am unclear how he has shown this.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintslegendLH
Club Player

In my opinion RS appears to be the best out of our young talls, even despite the fact that he's a forward[/quote]

Sorry but RS is not a forward he is a recruited from playing as a ruckman, you will soon see that hes not fast at the start as shown on the grandfinal race, he started building up speed after mabye 10 metres, that is hopeless for a full forward, he will end up playing in the half back line imo

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
[AFAIC Zac is the man for the job, he was arguably the best FB in the comp, .
Hey I like Zac and he is our best current option for FB...but lets not get carried away. He was no where near the best FB in the comp.

Leo.J wrote:
Rhys has shown so far that he's going to cope with the rigours of the AFL. .
I ama HUGE Stanley fan and have been for a while, but I am unclear how he has shown this.
I did say arguably, he was full back in the best defence, and unlike some of the other alleged FBs he got the Key Forward every week and beat them pretty much every week.

Scarlet doesn't do that.

And about Rhys, in the NAB cup games I've seen this year he's shown enough to suggest to me that he'll make a decent player. He appears to read the play well, he has good skills, he presents well on the lead, he doesn't appear to be timid, and combine that with his physical attributes I think he be a handy player at least... maybe rigors was not the right word.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Are we pushing the panic button yet or just breaking the glass..... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Last year we had Max,Goose as at least back up in those KP,that to me is the worry this year,depth in the back half.Not confinced if a Miles etc can fill those rolls,and lets be fair about this Zac does appear to struggle against bigger units,especially wihout a chop out from a Fisher or a Blake.

See nothing wrong with a grounding for a Stanleyor even lynch in the back half,thing is now you would to do it Sandy

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintslegendLH wrote:Sorry but RS is not a forward he is a recruited from playing as a ruckman, you will soon see that hes not fast at the start as shown on the grandfinal race, he started building up speed after mabye 10 metres, that is hopeless for a full forward, he will end up playing in the half back line imo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTSoy_sNaDA

The only guys who got faster jumps are smurfs. I really don't think there's a key back in the league who could keep up with him. He supposedly ran a sub 3 second 20m at the SA state screening, so the GF sprint wasn't some fluke. He's certainly got a quicker first step than the guy we've got at FF right now.

Stanley has to learn the position and he may lose a step as he puts on some weight. He's got a lot of steps to lose before he'll be anything but quick. His vertical is amazing too. He's shown he can kick a long way too. I reckon he's got all the tools to be a real weapon as a key forward.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Leo.J
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Are we pushing the panic button yet or just breaking the glass..... :lol:
No not panicking, just putting an idea out there...

I not going to be ripping up my membership if RS is not FB in round 1.

It is just that everyone assumes that RS will be a key forward, and I'm not doubting that. But there have been plenty of FF who have started their careers as defenders and vice versa.

We are 1 Key defender down, we may need to find one quick if Zac goes down...so it got me thinking