Our Youngsters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Our Youngsters

I can't believe how much I enjoyed watching parts of last nights game, even though it was delayed and had the most terrible coverage.

I just loved seeing McEvoy tap it down to Armitage, who would kick it to a contest that would be crummbed by Lynch who would give it off to Stanley for a goal.

I love seeing Lynch kick it 40 meters to hit Geary on the belly button.

Armitage's in and under work was as good as always but he seems to be really adjusting to the game a bit more and could become a real clearance machine for us.

Geary, Lynch, Armitage and Stanley have all shown they know where the goals are.

McEvoy looks like he will be a very servicable ruckman (even if he does jump to early for mine) as well as being very handy around the ground.

Gaetner did enough to show he might have something special as well.

We also have Steven in the sidelines who has shown he is all class as well as two players who could be major bonuses in Jesse Smith and Tommy Walsh.

Not to mention we've got players like Goddard, Gilbert, Zac, McQualter, Schneider etc. who aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

This is the most excited I've been about a group of young players since we had Riewoldt, Kosi, Ball, Xavier, Dal Santo, Maguire, Montagna, Goddard and Raph all come through over a few years.

The loss of Luke Ball really doesn't seem that bad now that Armitage really looks like he is going to force himself into that position.

The Lovett farce doesn't seem like the massive blow that it was a few months ago either. If we could have a Geary or a Gwilt come into the side and really make a half back flank their own that could realease Gram to play the role we had earmarked for Lovett and on exposed form Gram looks like he is ready to take his game to the next level and really try to decrease the difference between his best and his worst, as a matter of fact, considering his form in his last two grand finals he might be worth putting a few bucks on for the Tuck medal next week :wink: :wink:

It is a real credit to our recruiting and development teams that we have managed to develop so many players in such a short period of time without having access to any good draft picks and by taking full advantage of the rookie drafts (God bless Clinton Jones :D :D )

It's good to be in another GF, yes it's just a practise match, but it is so important that we maintain the winning culture that we have been developing since GT's arrival and have taken to a whole new level since RL's arrival.

Having said that though it is important that we stick to the plan and allow our youngster to do the majority of the work this week and use our older players very sparingly with round one as the primary focus.

One thing that you always hear coming out of the top teams is how important the internal competition for spots is, how it drives them all that little bit harder, I have no doubt that this is the case and this is the healthiest our depth has been in my lifetime.

Looking forward to not only a good year, but a good few years coming up.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

that post made me feel all warm and fuzzy......in a manly sort of way mind you.... :wink: :wink: :wink: ...yep the future looks okay....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

+1

most of those youngsters would be getting 13-15 games this year at other clubs

bring on 2013

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Youngsters

Armoooo wrote:One thing that you always hear coming out of the top teams is how important the internal competition for spots is, how it drives them all that little bit harder, I have no doubt that this is the case.
yes, this is very healthy and the sign of a successful club.

not only is pressure on a lot of spots; the pressure is on the match committee and selectors to get the mix right. to be neither too conservative nor too bold. to make the tough decisions if they need to be made and to introduce new talent at the right time.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:+1

most of those youngsters would be getting 13-15 games this year at other clubs
+1 Too right.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I kept seeing Will and Paul doing their runs along the boundary
and was pleased to see Will go on early in last term-
which still left Paul sitting there in his blue top

almost as an afterthought Chips came of and he got on

all the young guys managed to get a touch or two and even have a part in a forward thrust- Lynch, Johnson and Cahill first games with Gaertner getting a large amount of time on the ground - as did Stanley.

Good work guys.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GrumpyOne

Most of the young guys gave indications that they will be good additions to the team in time.

Possibly one exception - Paul Cahill

I know big guys take longer to mature, but he looked like a deer in the headlights during his brief run.

Last year for him I reckon. :(

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Most of the young guys gave indications that they will be good additions to the team in time.

I know big guys take longer to mature, but he looked like a deer in the headlights during his brief run.

You may be right Grumps but hopefully he can prove us wrong. Problem was he had a crap year in 2009 with injuries and these kids usually only get 2 years to show their worth. There's bound to be pressure for spots at the end of the year and guys like Gaertner and maybe a few others on the rookie list will be adding to that pressure.

But I'll continue to support PC, like everyone else on the list, and just hope he has a better run this year and pulls something out of the bag.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

It was great to watch the young guys in action and smash the opposition.
Stanley is pure excitement.
Armo is on the cusp
Steven is class
McEvoy takes a grab and gets involved (tackles)
Geary looks stronger
In the NAB Cup they have shown they can play "Saints footy".
Young blokes playing Saints footy will always beat young Freo players playing in Melbourne.
Still great to watch

spert
Saintsational Legend

Great to see the young guys playing with a lot of maturity. Gaetner and Lynch almost look ready for a senior game..Stanley is still a year off and needs to build up some strength -he got pushed off the contests a bit too easy, but big blokes take a while -look at McEvoy, he is doing really well and just keep getting better, but Stanley will be a gun in years to come. Armo and Geary played tough and they will be in the seniors.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:It was great to watch the young guys in action and smash the opposition.
Stanley is pure excitement.
Armo is on the cusp
Steven is class
McEvoy takes a grab and gets involved (tackles)
Geary looks stronger
In the NAB Cup they have shown they can play "Saints footy".
Young blokes playing Saints footy will always beat young Freo players playing in Melbourne.
Still great to watch
Steven is class, but we haven't seen much of him due to injury.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I also think Heyne will come good too. Give a year or 2. Remember BJ took a little while to get going... Now look at him!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
PJ
SS Life Member

I think you've gotta cut him a bit of slack - even Lynch looked a little unco when he first came on but he had time to let the nerves settle.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Most of the young guys gave indications that they will be good additions to the team in time.

It will be the last year for a few players. It always is. Spme may look ok now but during the year a few will struggle and be dropped off the list. Who knows if Cahill will be one of them. It could easily just be someone like Baker.

saintnick12
Club Player

Re: Our Youngsters

Armoooo wrote:I can't believe how much I enjoyed watching parts of last nights game, even though it was delayed and had the most terrible coverage.

I just loved seeing McEvoy tap it down to Armitage, who would kick it to a contest that would be crummbed by Lynch who would give it off to Stanley for a goal.
This passage of play was the highlight of the night for me. A sneak peak of the future.... very exciting.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Foz
Club Player

Cahill got a bit of the pill early in the intraclub game and offers another lead up option. Hard to judge him on 5 minutes of the game against Freo. Trying too hard would be my thoughts!

Think for his height Cahill could offer us options. If he gets his body right and can add bulk he's a chance.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I believe CAHILL will be OK !

I believe CAHILL will be OK and may even be our next full forward. He was very nervous last night but looked capable. He has a good solid base just needs to get the upper body strength and we will see him come through...

Isn't it great to see these young guys running around and dont forget Allistair SMITH and Tom SIMPSKIN (currently injured). SIMPKIN has been given big raps also, plays HB and is a hrd as nails...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Seriously harsh. He had what, five minutes

Hardly an opportunity.

I thought he presented well.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lol, how good is that, we have such a healthy list of youngsters I even managed to forget Smith and Heyne, not a slur against them, they just slipped my mind.

Simpkin on the other hand I know very little of.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Batnoe

I cant say i liked his shorts, a little Lloydesk if you ask me!

Wigsy
Club Player

Players also play outside of the seniors and it is a chance for us to assess what we think of the way they move, skill, how they attack the ball and so forth. Cahill won't make it - feel free to revisit in time. He's deep outside of our best 30 so probably best to focus on those that will. The one thing this NAB Cup campaign has done is provide some excitement regarding our depth - and depth across most positions too. We have Stanley, Lynch, and possibly Walsh as longer term options up forward. McEvoy continues to show our ruck division won't miss a beat as the vets retire, and we have a number of versatile utilities. I'm looking forward to seeing how Johnson progresses in the scoobs this year, as I think there's something there.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Wigsy wrote:Players also play outside of the seniors and it is a chance for us to assess what we think of the way they move, skill, how they attack the ball and so forth. Cahill won't make it - feel free to revisit in time. He's deep outside of our best 30 so probably best to focus on those that will. The one thing this NAB Cup campaign has done is provide some excitement regarding our depth - and depth across most positions too. We have Stanley, Lynch, and possibly Walsh as longer term options up forward. McEvoy continues to show our ruck division won't miss a beat as the vets retire, and we have a number of versatile utilities. I'm looking forward to seeing how Johnson progresses in the scoobs this year, as I think there's something there.
You're right in that he's at the end of a long queue. he may attract some trade interest down the line? Tall KP types don't grow on trees except apparently at St Kilda...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I reckon thats a poor statement....The bloke got subbed on during the last quarter..... and wasnt it for his first ever game...?

Dropped a mark, but also took two....one in which he presented for well to the kicker in Armitage.

How does one really make that sort of analysis based on next to nothingness....That really amazes me.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

From the moment he was drafted I was never really excited about Cahill but it would surely be too soon to write him off. He has an interesting shape and looks to have pretty good athleticism, he reminds me a bit of Bob Murphy from the doggies in that aspect.

I didn't see nearly enough of him on the weekend to get any sort of 'gut feeling' on how I think he will turn out.

However if he is to make it he would need to play a considerable amount of games for the Sandy seniors, I'm not sure if this is correct but it is my understanding that he spent most of his time in the ressies between injuries.

Foz
Club Player

Cahill looks like a skinny John Anthony to me. Lead up player, hopefully can kick as straight!

Consistency is not something that young players have in spades. Alistair Smith intraclub and 2nd NAB Cup games weren't much to write home about but his 1st NAB Cup game was. And thats the one we take away and run with.

Cahill had a bad run with injuries and I saw enough at the Intraclub to think he may be alright with some consistent game time. Sandy seniors here we come!