Steven Gaertner's mark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Steven Gaertner's mark

Sensaaaaaaaaaaaaaational!

Has done a few nice things apart from that also.

Can't see him playing this year, though like Tommy Walsh, you never say never in a long season. But a freakish mark from an athletic 199 cm bloke against one of the best - a lot to like about that!

IMO I reckon that one mark will go a long way to gaining him a spot on the senior list for 2011 :D

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

If only we could cross breed Walsh, Stanley and Gaetner. Would be the sensational love child. (i know that makese no sense :) )

Carpe Diem
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Sub replacement before the bounce for Blake, he's definitely giving his all.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

macca had a good grab in the 1st Q. No doubt stevens is a ripper!

Go saints in '09!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:macca had a good grab in the 1st Q. No doubt stevens is a ripper!
Who is Stevens?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Gaertner is the new Rhys Stanley

Furtius Quo Rdelious
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:macca had a good grab in the 1st Q. No doubt stevens is a ripper!
Who is Stevens?
Steven Gaertner?

Go saints in '09!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

More about Pavlich's dismal effort in that contest than anything else...

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Who is Stevens?
He ment Steven ( as in Gaetner's was a ripper mark )

Carpe Diem
Beej
Saintsational Legend

that palm down however from McEvoy to Armitage... THAT is sensational.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:More about Pavlich's dismal effort in that contest than anything else...
Don't try and take away from a real positive. Still a damn fine effort in my book!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Really impressed with this guy!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Still a rookie or been promoted?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Heres a bit of early history dating back to 2007 from an old BF thread on Gaertner ......

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399866

roxanne
Club Player

Gaertner and Lynch were huge highlights for me.... they appear to be naturals. I agree Pavlich's effort to take the mark was a bit ordinary but Gaertner's level of self belief (and skill) to attempt let alone succeed to outmark him was great to see.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I was seriously impressed with Gaertner. He just kept on getting it and did well when he got it, from memory. That mark was just the icing on the cake.
He was tipped to go top 40 in the 2007 National Draft, but missed out (when he was "bottom age") and missed out again in the 2008 National Draft.
I've been excited by his prospects since I first saw this footage of his efforts in the 2008 TAC Cup Grand Final (where they were badly beaten) and it was great to see him do so well last night.:
Anyone who stands 199cm and can move like that is worth putting some serious time into and if we want Stanley to play key forward, Gaertner could be well worth developing for the "no.2 ruckman" role. His athleticism is phenomenal and he showed he can mark and it would seem his kicking has also improved since 2007. By the sound of it he's been played all over the place, too, so his versatility is also an asset.
It's worth remembering that Dean Cox would get laughed at when he first got to West Coast, as he apparently "couldn't kick over a jam tin" (and is now excellent on both sides) and they reckon he would practically fall over his own feet, as he was so unco-ordinated. Steven probably won't get near the level Cox is at, but it seems he's a lot more advanced than Cox was at the same age. He has a lot of upside.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:More about Pavlich's dismal effort in that contest than anything else...
Pav thought he had it in the bag as Gaertner out positioned himself initially...didn't count on the guy turning himself inside out for the mark, and who would have!?! Great effort.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I was seriously impressed with Gaertner. He just kept on getting it and did well when he got it, from memory. That mark was just the icing on the cake.
He was tipped to go top 40 in the 2007 National Draft, but missed out (when he was "bottom age") and missed out again in the 2008 National Draft.
I've been excited by his prospects since I first saw this footage of his efforts in the 2008 TAC Cup Grand Final (where they were badly beaten) and it was great to see him do so well last night.:
Anyone who stands 199cm and can move like that is worth putting some serious time into and if we want Stanley to play key forward, Gaertner could be well worth developing for the "no.2 ruckman" role. His athleticism is phenomenal and he showed he can mark and it would seem his kicking has also improved since 2007. By the sound of it he's been played all over the place, too, so his versatility is also an asset.
It's worth remembering that Dean Cox would get laughed at when he first got to West Coast, as he apparently "couldn't kick over a jam tin" (and is now excellent on both sides) and they reckon he would practically fall over his own feet, as he was so unco-ordinated. Steven probably won't get near the level Cox is at, but it seems he's a lot more advanced than Cox was at the same age. He has a lot of upside.

interesting comment from natham burke in this weeks "inside football"...described players like matty maquire as list cloggers...and that keeping goose would have kept players like stanley and gaertner from developing and getting game time.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scoop
Club Player

As a junior, Gaertner always showed great athleticism, was a good mark and had a number of 'tricks', especially for someone his size.

Unfortunately the knocks on him were for the two most important things in footy today - his kicking and his decision-making. All the talk of him going high in the draft was bulltish, certainly didn't come from the recruiters.

Personally I'm really pleased that we gave him a chance, as the potential upside could be enormous, but he still has a long way to go.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

He certainly does have a long way to go, but there's an awful lot to work with there, if he's prepared to do the hard-yards. The fact he was played last night before and for much longer than Will Johnson, especially and Cahill, may say something about how they rate him at the club.
I'm not sure what his kicking was like a few years ago, but it certainly doesn't look "bad" now. It might not look like Goddard, Rich or Hodge's, but how many guys his height do? He sure as hell seems to kick it better than Tommy Walsh, for a start. As stated earlier, Cox's kicking was apparently laughable when he first arrived at the Eagles and Steven seemed to kick it fine last night, so I don't see it as a big issue.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Beekay
SS Life Member

Round 1 team: Gaertner or Riewoldt?

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Interesting about his decision making - last night at about half back flank, commentary side, he was about to go inside to someone but held the ball up and made a different decision to a better option. I thought at the time "that boys got footy brains" so hopefully if it was an issue his apprenticeship is working....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Saintersss
Club Player

Beekay wrote:Round 1 team: Gaertner or Riewoldt?
:lol: I will not be surprised if JABBER puts up that thread.

I love the reactivity of this forum and the AFL world.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:
Beekay wrote:Round 1 team: Gaertner or Riewoldt?
:lol: I will not be surprised if JABBER puts up that thread.
AND ALL IN CAPS ........

Foz
Club Player

CJ's kicking was his knock too...funny how watching him have it on a string made me wonder if he was just about the most important midfielder now?! Who else tags the big names and sends them down and/or gets clearance after clearance?

CJ's ability to push on with so many 'knocks' on him e.g- age, kicking skills is an inspiration for many players battling to find a spot.

Hopefully we 'forget' the Gaertner kicking issue and be super impressed with his height and mobility (and outmarking Pav) in the near future.