Memories, memories.................

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Memories, memories.................

Oh bear with me folks this is Saints related story for this ol' timer.

Was watching tonight's Stateline programme on ABCTV 1....ofcourse the WA edition.
Interesting program on 'Sculptures by the Sea' at Cottosloe Beach...this is all part of the Perth Arts Festival. I know Sydney have a 'Sculptures by the Sea' each year at Bondi or Bronte me thinks. Don't know if other states do them on their beaches...if they don't you are missing out on some great community art.

Anyway throughout this program, the background music was..................

'Oh I do like to be beside the seaside'.

Emotional nostalgia flooded over this poor old dear. Yes that was our footy club theme song in them there days at the Junction Oval.

It evoked memory after memory for me as a young child, then later a teeny bopper with autograph book in hand clambering over the fence at the end of a game getting the prized signatures of some of my favourrites over the years at the Juction Oval who donned the red, white & black tri-colour.
Favourites such as Peter Bennet, Brian Walsh, Keith Drinan, Les Foote, Eric Guy, Paul Dodd, Bill Coady, Bud Annand, and ofcourse those blond bombshell's ......Allan Jeans (yes he was one folks in his younger days!!) Neil Roberts and the greatest hunk of them all ....... Carl Ditterich.

Oh that tune evoked such wonderful memories for me of an era gone bye.

It's wonderful being a Saints supporter over the generantions :P :P :P

busso mick
Club Player

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be hey Loris. I can't remember that song but I am very happy with our current version.

I do like the Sculptures by the Sea, they are also having a lot of cow sculptures down Margaret River way all painted in weird designs.

thequarry
Club Player

loris (and anyone else interested), you can listen to it here!:

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thanks, thequarry. That brought such a smile to my face.
It was a wonderful memory.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Memories, memories.................

loris wrote:Oh bear with me folks this is Saints related story for this ol' timer.

Was watching tonight's Stateline programme on ABCTV 1....ofcourse the WA edition.
Interesting program on 'Sculptures by the Sea' at Cottosloe Beach...this is all part of the Perth Arts Festival. I know Sydney have a 'Sculptures by the Sea' each year at Bondi or Bronte me thinks. Don't know if other states do them on their beaches...if they don't you are missing out on some great community art.

Emotional nostalgia flooded over this poor old dear. Yes that was our footy club theme song in them there days at the Junction Oval.

It evoked memory after memory for me as a young child, then later a teeny bopper with autograph book in hand clambering over the fence at the end of a game getting the prized signatures of some of my favourites over the years at the Junction Oval who donned the red, white & black tri-colour.
Favourites such as Peter Bennet, Brian Walsh, Keith Drinan, Les Foote, Eric Guy, Paul Dodd, Bill Coady, Bud Annand, and ofcourse those blond bombshell's ......Allan Jeans (yes he was one folks in his younger days!!) Neil Roberts and the greatest hunk of them all ....... Carl Ditterich.

Oh that tune evoked such wonderful memories for me of an era gone by.

It's wonderful being a Saints supporter over the generations :P :P :P
Wonderful story, Loris. Love the passion and loyalty. Did you go to the first game at Moorabbin? Were you one of the lucky ones to attend the 66 GF? I would love to hear your story of those days if you were at either or both.

ACTSAINTER
Club Player

:D :D

"Oh I do love to be beside the sea side..........................................."
ACTSAINTER
Club Player

:D :D

"Oh I do love to be beside the sea side..........................................."
Duggie
Club Player

Great to see another 'ol Saint coming out of the woodwork so to speak.
The Junction Oval holds many fond memories for me and I have done some of them to death on posts some years ago.
Definately do not want to upstage you Loris. I "saw'" my first game there in the 1923/24 season as a babe in arms with my mother in the Grandstand. She was related to Welles Eicke who later coached the team. My father was on the Social Committee.
Thanks for memory revival. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Oh bear with me folks this is Saints related story for this ol' timer.

It evoked memory after memory for me as a young child, then later a teeny bopper with autograph book in hand clambering over the fence at the end of a game getting the prized signatures of some of my favourrites over the years at the Juction Oval who donned the red, white & black tri-colour.

Never thought I'd see Bill Coady's name on this forum.
I used to have number 29 on my jumper and duffle coat, he's a friend of the family.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
loris
Saintsational Legend

Duggie wrote:
I "saw'" my first game there in the 1923/24 season as a babe in arms with my mother in the Grandstand.
Gee wizz "Duggie" ........ that takes some beating..... I bet you were on farex and puree food in them/there days eh? Come to think of it you might be back on it again nowadays:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wells Eicke......... now that's getting close to Saints royalty young man :P

Did you ever jump the fence at 3 quarter time and listen to any of Killas stirring speeches to the boys? Not that they did much good :cry:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:

Did you go to the first game at Moorabbin? Were you one of the lucky ones to attend the 66 GF? I would love to hear your story of those days if you were at either or both.
Yes, and yes. I've been lucky in life :P

When I'm in Melb later in the year, (usually Saint66au snaffles me a seat with him and the original crew who started the Moorabbin Wing) if you sit in that at area I'll regale you with some old time stories....cost you a red wine though :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
I used to have number 29 on my jumper and duffle coat, he's a friend of the family.
Absolutely stunning looking young man.......... real film star looks....scrubed up well in his police uniform too. Think he left the force and studied law didn't he?

I used to work with his Dad at Russell Street Police Headquarters for a time.....he was one of nature's gentlemen.

Ah you wore the dufflecoat.... you must be a man of sartorial elegance??

The dufflecoats of today are such a sad imitation of the originals. Did you wear desert boots and cordoroy trousers to compliment the dufflecoat :wink: :wink:

Mark
Club Player

Thanks Loris,Duggie etc for posting those wonderful stories/memories.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Absolutely stunning looking young man.......... real film star looks....scrubed up well in his police uniform too. Think he left the force and studied law didn't he?

I used to work with his Dad at Russell Street Police Headquarters for a time.....he was one of nature's gentlemen.

Ah you wore the dufflecoat.... you must be a man of sartorial elegance??

The dufflecoats of today are such a sad imitation of the originals. Did you wear desert boots and cordoroy trousers to compliment the dufflecoat :wink: :wink:
The reason Bill is a friend of the family is that my dad worked with Bill Coady Snr. You probably know my dad.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

'Sculptures by the Sea' runs at Frankston to end of month so anyone going to family day next week could pop across the road and have a look.
. in between waiting in lines to cht to saints.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Duggie
Club Player

loris wrote:
Duggie wrote:
I "saw'" my first game there in the 1923/24 season as a babe in arms with my mother in the Grandstand.
Gee wizz "Duggie" ........ that takes some beating..... I bet you were on farex and puree food in them/there days eh? Come to think of it you might be back on it again nowadays:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Only plain yoghurt these days Loris
Did you ever jump the fence at 3 quarter time and listen to any of Killas stirring speeches to the boys? Not that they did much good :cry:

A Saint Forever!
Duggie
Club Player

Sorry Loris. Just cannot handle this quoting tab.
All I wanted to say was-- Only plain yoghurt these days! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you missed a couple.....some of my favorites as well......brian gleeson, jimmy ross, billy young, kevin roberts and big bill stephenson.......bud used to sing the filthiest songs that a young boy had heard in the rooms after the game whilst geting dressed....copper too......met his son years later....

...also ran into jimmy ross again in longford whilst i was acting as a pit marshall at the grand prix that they used to run in tassie......we got our instructions at the local pub...jimmy's pub....plus $2.00 per day ..that was the year rocky tresize was killed....in front of me too.

. ross remembered my dad....he brought jimmy home one day when i was in primary school......he gave me a footy which i took to school ...lost it when it was kicked over the fence...

...funny loris.....i can remember those days clearer than i can remember last week....benifit of old age i suppose.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Duggie wrote:

....told you before that used to sit with ian drake at the footy and do the stats for him.....was always in the rooms before during and after the game...heard killa rev up the players on many many occasions...also remember jim francis coaching the saints in 59 and 60.....before jeans took over.....then the slow climb up the ladder culminating in the 66 grand final win......remember laughing one day around then when they had let the crowd into the rooms after a game . a big win...happy times....the players were coming and going to the showers stark naked as usual....the wide eyed young girl standing next to me had her jaw hanging wide open as well...don't think she knew whether to run, laugh, cry. or hide......wasn't you was it loris.....??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

Did you go to the first game at Moorabbin? Were you one of the lucky ones to attend the 66 GF? I would love to hear your story of those days if you were at either or both.
Yes, and yes. I've been lucky in life :P

When I'm in Melb later in the year, (usually Saint66au snaffles me a seat with him and the original crew who started the Moorabbin Wing) if you sit in that at area I'll regale you with some old time stories....cost you a red wine though :wink:
You're on loris :wink: