Match Ups vs The Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Match Ups vs The Pies

Cant wait to see some of our younger players who now have a full pre-season or two under their belts.

Tutor should put CJ straight to Ball to see how he copes not getting a kick all game.

As as rotate some of our young midfielders through the guts including Rhys and Ben

saintlee
Club Player

Re: Match Ups vs The Pies

footynut wrote:Cant wait to see some of our younger players who now have a full pre-season or two under their belts.

Tutor should put CJ straight to Ball to see how he copes not getting a kick all game.

As as rotate some of our young midfielders through the guts including Rhys and Ben
I wouldn't waste CJ on Ball, you want to shut down their best playmakers....not sure Ball is that important

PaulieGa
Club Player

I had the same thoughts today, why waste CJ on Ball! He should goto Pendlebury or somoene similar.

I think Armo head to head with Ball would be a good match up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its a practice match. CJ knows how to tag. Either dont use taggers in the game or try someone else.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Its a practice match. CJ knows how to tag. Either dont use taggers in the game or try someone else.
agree

let CJ develop a hardball winning ability, gives him a chance to add strings to his bows.

Interested to see how collingwoods forwards go against our defence. We have almost a full strength backline and it's a good test of the ikes of dawes, reid et al.

Jolly v Mcenvoy is a great test for the young bloke. Break even and hurt him around the ground and you'll pick yourself for round 1.

The young pies mids v young saints mids. Sidebottom v steven, armo v pendles.

Can't wait to see this match

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:let CJ develop a hardball winning ability, gives him a chance to add strings to his bows.
he can already do that. what he can't do is kick accurately. let's hope that's improved again.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Its a practice match. CJ knows how to tag. Either dont use taggers in the game or try someone else.
agree

let CJ develop a hardball winning ability, gives him a chance to add strings to his bows.

Interested to see how collingwoods forwards go against our defence. We have almost a full strength backline and it's a good test of the ikes of dawes, reid et al.

Jolly v Mcenvoy is a great test for the young bloke. Break even and hurt him around the ground and you'll pick yourself for round 1.

The young pies mids v young saints mids. Sidebottom v steven, armo v pendles.

Can't wait to see this match
Pendles and Armo would never get near eachother...Pendlebury won't go near contested ball, Armo will, so they'd be effectively playing unmanned. At this stage, I'd suggest Pendlebury has the higher chance of being damaging. Not sure who'd I'd suggest otherwise though. :?

St Loxton
Club Player

Steven and heyne could get a run with pendlebury. Jason Blake on Thomas. Gilbo on Didak?

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Pendlebury won't go near contested ball
Strange. Pendlebury averaged 7.6 per game last year and had a number of games he didn't finish. He actually averaged more contested ball than Luke Ball or David Armitage, even if you factor in game time. The only guys at St Kilda with more contested ball were all in the AA team.

It's like the perception opposition supporters have of Nick Dal Santo. It's just not true. Pendlebury has always done well in contested ball. He had more than Selwood when Selwood beat him near unanimously for RS. Maybe it looks effortless, I don't know. There seems to be a big gap between perception and reality.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
degruch
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
degruch wrote:Pendlebury won't go near contested ball
Strange. Pendlebury averaged 7.6 per game last year and had a number of games he didn't finish. He actually averaged more contested ball than Luke Ball or David Armitage, even if you factor in game time. The only guys at St Kilda with more contested ball were all in the AA team.

It's like the perception opposition supporters have of Nick Dal Santo. It's just not true. Pendlebury has always done well in contested ball. He had more than Selwood when Selwood beat him near unanimously for RS. Maybe it looks effortless, I don't know. There seems to be a big gap between perception and reality.
Seems there is! Have never seen him near the ball, ever. Guess I must be watching the wrong replays, but he always appears outside the pack. Someone posted an awesome shirk of his last year, from YouTube, which pretty well summed up what I thought of him...guess you can make a highlight real of c**k ups of everyone.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:guess you can make a highlight real of c**k ups of everyone.
Brings to mind that youtube video of Clinton Jones where he didn't really do anything much wrong for the whole clip. It was set to the Benny Hill music though because the guy who made it had a grudge. Also the Bryce Gibbs clip. Yeah he shirked a contest with Milne, which is hilarious. He's a better player than that though. Pendlebury may shirk the odd contest. A lot of players do. Not everyone can be Lenny Hayes.

I think there's an element of him not playing his best against us involved here. The only team he averages less possession against than us is Sydney. If we were Carlton or North supporters we'd probably curse the sight of him. It's like Aaron Davey, who has never had a good game against St Kilda. Or Travis Cloke to an extent. I'm sure there are probably others.

Oh, and upon double checking, Armo got slightly more contested ball per minute. I was wrong about that. It's something like .107 to .103 contested possessions per 1% of game time.

DWOODROW
Club Player

I would like to see Armo and Ball on each other. You at least know they are both going to go in hard but also Armo is supposedly the next in line to take Ball's position so why not see why Lyon wasn't too fazed to see ball go.
It's going to be a good game I think.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:I would like to see Armo and Ball on each other.
Makes sense. Ball's not the sort you tag (unless you're Terry Wallace). If you're going head-to-head, you want somebody who can compete for the contested ball - big tick there. Ideally you want somebody who will hurt them the other way. I reckon Lenny would take him if he were there and this this were a real game. He's not and it's not. Bring on the Armo/Ball matchup! Start out with Armo/Ball, Goddard/Pendlebury, Montagna/Swan in the centre. Peake, Ray and Steven running in off the wings.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

What's the final team for tonight?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
DWOODROW
Club Player

Munga wrote:What's the final team for tonight?
I thought it would have been up by now as well. Bit annoyed actually. Someone said there was going to be a 6 man bench. Is this true???

thequarry
Club Player

There's a match preview here for anyone interested in taking a look:
http://www.rwb2010.wordpress.com
Last edited by thequarry on Fri 19 Feb 2010 12:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
I thought it would have been up by now as well. Bit annoyed actually. Someone said there was going to be a 6 man bench. Is this true???
They never have a final team for practice matches and surely if you are Armo's brother you could find out the team with one simple call.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Yep correct

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Hot night..plus a NAB game. Might be more than 6. Will most likely be more than 4.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
goodie
Club Player

Six interchanges, and two substitutes. And it's bloody hard to find that information, nowhere on the AFL site

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

degruch wrote: Pendlebury won't go near contested ball.
+1

Having said that, he can carve you up when he starts getting handball receives and getting in space.