Saints continue to evolve and get stronger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Saints continue to evolve and get stronger

In looking for positives in relation Andrew Lovett sacking, I think it's prudent to look back into our recent history as a club. It's only when we do so that we realise how far we've come. For those of us old enough to remember the late 70's and 80's, the scars still run deep. Seven wooden spoons in twelve years, no finals for eighteen years, the constant threat of extinction due to financial mismanagement and a VFL/AFL administration that was hellbent on "rationalising" (reducing) the number of Victorian teams. As if all that wasn't bad enough, St.Kilda was seen as the "party club", where the only good performances on a weekend were in the notorious "Saints" Disco.

The first signs of change came in 1987, when the Doc returned to coach a side that had "won" four consecutive wooden spoons and just 23 games in the previous six years! That's just one more than we won in 2009 alone! The Doc was said to be so horrified at the lack of skill in his group, he seriously contemplated jumping back on the plane to Lower Barrington, never to return! He was, however, a catalyst for change, and at least the tragic run of wooden spoons was broken. A kid called Lockett snagged a ton and a Brownlow and the likes of Loewe, Winmar, Burke and the following year, Harvey, gave cause for optimism. The club continued to struggle for a few years, but with Ken Sheldon taking the coaching reins, a new sense of professionalism was instilled in the place. A return to the finals in 1991-2 also helped renew belief that a premiership might have been possible.

Typically, just as optimism soared, the coach was sacked and the club once again flirted with extinction. The 1995 "SOS" campaign would surely be the last time the club could ask to be bailed out by its members and supporters. We did survive. Just. Incredibly, just two years later we'd won a night flag and made the 1997 Grand Final. Just as incredible was the fact that just three years later we were back on the bottom, having won just two games for the year. Fortunately, the knowledge stemming from the hard lessons of the previous 20 years was about to be put in place.

The "Blighty" fiasco once again pushed the club to the edge of the abyss. No one does survival better than the saints though, and from those ashes, the present Phoenix emerged. I know some will find the following a bit challenging, but credit has to be given to GT and Rod Butterss, for the way in which they engineered the long climb back. While I don't rate GT as a coach, and I think his stubbornness and arrogance probably cost us a flag or two, there is no denying that he engendered a sense of pride, self-belief and professionalism in the group. He wanted to build respect for the saints and he succeeded in that. His positive legacy was that he passed on to RL a core group of dedicated, passionate and professional footballers, who were also loyal to the saints. Meanwhile, the management of the club stabilised the finances (some might argue too much!). The decision to appoint RL in GT's place has also proved to be correct. (IMHO)

The club has never been more stable, both on and off the field, than in the past five years. Membership is set to be at record levels, there's money in the bank and we have a list that is capable of winning the flag for at least another 3-4 years. The AL fiasco is as severe a test as this club has faced for many years. What has impressed me most is the way the club has presented a strong and unified front. There have been many times in the past where the club motto "Strength through Loyalty" has meant little more than being three words on a shield. The club is, and has been, acting the motto for some time. We have seen a consistent message coming from all levels, from Board, to administration, to the playing group. The message is this,"Be a part of the team, act out its values, or get lost". In the not too distant past, the AL situation would have torn this club apart. There would have been media leaks, boardroom squabbles and no discernible plan to tackle the problem.

What I'm seeing is a united playing group, with strong leadership, that has sacrificed some potential short term gain, for long term unity and ultimate success. Sure, every saints fan and staff member will be hurting out of what has happened since AL came to the club. But strong and successful organisations make the tough calls based on their core values and principles, and with an eye to the medium and long term. The way the club has responded has ensured there will be minimum distraction for the playing group and that energy can now be focused on the most important task. Winning that bloody second flag! Yes, the saints have come a long way since the darkness of the 80's. They are truly a force to be reckoned with, both on and off the ground. Go Saints!

Despite all the positives

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
yipper
SS Life Member

Excellent post. This is a true reflection of where we are now. Well done.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post, agree 100%!

Everyone from the board to the football department and coach are now all on the same page and working together as one, which is essential for stability, professionalism and success!

The whole response to the AL situation has been handled as it should and dealt with as it should!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St.Rob8
Club Player

Good perspective. Proud of the club.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Totally agree, I'm in full support of the club's decision.

We've been through plenty of dramas and we'll get through.

Stop fretting about draft picks and the loss of Luke Ball, the sky isn't going to fall in and you cannot dwell on "what might have been"

It's about what is right and wrong with an employee's behaviour.

Clearly the behaviour regarding a few issues has been wrong and in any other industry the emplyee would be sacked.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Excellent post W W.
It's not very often that I comment these days but must say it is a pleasure to read a post that is properly punctuated, doesn't have spelling mistakes and is minus "disguised" fowl language.
Well done.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Good post WW

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree, good post!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post WW.

Have lived through all that and can relate entirely to every point you make. Was thinking of posting something similar myself however you have saved me a lot of keyboard time :D

thequarry
Club Player

Great post.

I've found myself very confident in the leaders at this club - from Ross, to the board, the players' own leadership group. Let's hope they can continue the good work and the culture they're establishing.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

As much as I don't really rate Terry Wallace as a coach he did make one comment to me 2 years ago....only 1 club in his memory has won a premiership while having bad administration and leadership off the field. He felt this was a mandatory.

He wouldn't say who it was.

But I do think he is right - I feel good about where the club is at off field/coaching.

Batnoe

Post of the year

I agree... The club is in strong hands and we don't take no s*** offa nobody

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Allan Jeans said much the same thing, Fingers. Premierships are only won by clubs that are well managed on and off the ground. I think we're both at the moment. The Ball/Lovett sagas will be forgotten once we start winning games.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Fantastic post and absolutely true, could not be prouder of the club at the moment. THough I must say, the Saints disco was alot of fun :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Great Post WW. Thoroughly enjoyed the read.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Just one question - if things are so great, why didn't we win the flag last year?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Just one question - if things are so great, why didn't we win the flag last year?
Cos Milne,Schneider,McQualter and Dempster missed shots that would of sealed the game. Just one of them go through we win

Bring back the Lockett era
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Just one question - if things are so great, why didn't we win the flag last year?
Cos Milne,Schneider,McQualter and Dempster missed shots that would of sealed the game. Just one of them go through we win
So bad kicking on a day when in a season everything goes our way means we don't win a flag?

Yet GT's stubborness cost us 2!!

What if GT was the best coach in the world and also being seriously considered for sainthood by the catholic church such was his seflessness - if we didn't kick straight in the GF we still would have lost?

yipper
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:
Exactly. Convert our chances - we would have 2009 flag.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
karnaby
Club Player

jonesy wrote: Cos Milne,Schneider,McQualter and Dempster missed shots that would of sealed the game. Just one of them go through we win
Thank you for answering that in a dignified way. If I'd responded as I felt like doing it would have spoilt a good thread.

Onya WW, well put.

Now is a time to display STL.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

So are we saying that in the end, luck is the overriding factor?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:So are we saying that in the end, luck is the overriding factor?
We?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:So are we saying that in the end, luck is the overriding factor?
No....

You do most things right and well...and then you get your crack.

If you don't then luck is completely irrelevant.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
We?
The Troll is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
No....

You do most things right and well...and then you get your crack.

If you don't then luck is completely irrelevant.
So we did most things right and well, yet in the end luck meant we didn't win?