America's Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

boneless23
Club Player

America's Game

To overcome my football withdrawl pains over the summer I have been watching the America's Game documenary series on ONE HD. This series follows the NFL Superbowl Champions throughout their championship year and includes highlights, interviews with key players and coaching staff as well as being narrated by celebirites such as Alex Baldwin, Bruce Willis and Donald Sutherland.

Somehow each episode is inspiring and the inside access that the cameras seem to get make for riveting viewing.

The AFL should take a leaf from the NFL's book and start making similiar documenaries for the AFL Premiers each year. Anyone who has watched this show will know how much better it is then the AFL clubs normal 'The year of...." offerings.

I reckon our 2010 premiership season passionately narrated by Eric Bana would be a perfect way to kick off the tradition!!

Saints43
Club Player

I watched a few episodes of America's Game. I have absolutely no understanding of NFL or it's history but found them riveting.

saintDal
Club Player

I watched it for the first time last night and thought it was great. Got lucky as they were doing the Colts who I support and it was great to see the behind the scenes stuff and the input from the players where they didn't hold back with what they said.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I wish ONE HD showed programming outside of American sports. I don't have a problem with it, but there is just so much of it... where are the cricket shows? There are none besides IPL and Champions League replays :evil:

How hard would it be to get some live cricket... as if it would cost much to get the Bangladesh vs India Test series :roll:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I wish ONE HD showed programming outside of American sports. I don't have a problem with it, but there is just so much of it... where are the cricket shows? There are none besides IPL and Champions League replays :evil:

How hard would it be to get some live cricket... as if it would cost much to get the Bangladesh vs India Test series :roll:
Oh and endless hours of golf lol

Yes their programming is..well..interesting. Rodeo riding? Poker? Paintball?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I saw the St Louis Rams one and thought that was incredible.

There's an NFL series on HBO that comes out in America every pre-season called Hard Knocks. Each year one franchise gives cameras complete access to a their pre-season. Draft/trade trade talk, list management in the board room, practice, team meetings, team rituals, everything.

Even as an AFL fan, it is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

HBO even do an all-access thing before big boxing bouts called "24/7" which is equally fkn cool.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I wish ONE HD showed programming outside of American sports. I don't have a problem with it, but there is just so much of it... where are the cricket shows? There are none besides IPL and Champions League replays :evil:

maybe it is because all the cricket commentators in this country are just such massive wankers that it is impossible.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not having a clue about programming but my guess is that it costs more to get these programs than what you would get through advertising. Afterall the game you mentioned might get 50,000 viewers at best.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I saw the St Louis Rams one and thought that was incredible.

There's an NFL series on HBO that comes out in America every pre-season called Hard Knocks. Each year one franchise gives cameras complete access to a their pre-season. Draft/trade trade talk, list management in the board room, practice, team meetings, team rituals, everything.

Even as an AFL fan, it is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

HBO even do an all-access thing before big boxing bouts called "24/7" which is equally fkn cool.
Hard knocks is extreme....can watch the whole series on youtube...

1st epp here..

Our training base is a disgrace.

Even the new one in comparison.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

America's game belongs on the General Forum and even the mods are posting.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
boneless23
Club Player

I disagree Bernard.

My intent for the topic was to suggest that hopefully the Saints can one day produce a documentatry as inspiring as America's Game and not a repeat of the Year of the Rising Saint!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:I disagree Bernard.

My intent for the topic was to suggest that hopefully the Saints can one day produce a documentatry as inspiring as America's Game and not a repeat of the Year of the Rising Saint!!
You said the AFL should do it, and then added some speculative dreaming about 2010.

Still belongs on the General Forum, nothing to do with the Saints, maybe next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell