NAB Cup, where do people stand?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

NAB Cup, where do people stand?

While the NAB Cup is a nice return to football and a great chance for us to see our young recruits in action, we all know that premierships aren't won in March.

So, what do we want out of the pre-season? Do we want to make an early statement like the Cats did in 2009 and play a virtually full-strength squad for round 1, or are we happy to wrap up any potential injury risks in cotton wool and play a bunch of kids and if we win one or two rounds, great but if we lose or even get a thrashing, who cares?

What does everything think?

Bad management is bad management
SinCitySaint
Club Player

All I want out of the NAB cup is no injuries. I couldn't give a rats if we win or lose.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Behind the goals.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintnick12
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Behind the goals.

LOL. I read the OP the same way. Then realized what OP was actually asking.

I would be happy to see a lot of the young kids in action as due to our great form last year, we had very few changes and not many opportunites for the young. Interesting that we won the NAB in 2008(?) but were way off the mark by the end of the year, yet last year, didn't we get knocked out round 1 in the nab and lose most of our preseason games, yet won 19 in a row and lost the GF by a kick.
Last edited by saintnick12 on Thu 14 Jan 2010 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Cup, where do people stand?

Take the same approach as last year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see a similar statement, hold nothing back.

This is Saints footy after all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

about 15 players rested.......

roo
koz
lenny
dal
joey
chips
bakes
king

will do for starters

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Usually plenty of seats available, not many choose to stand during the NAB cup.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ThePunter
Club Player

Start slowly, hopefully progress and introduce more seasoned senior players as the tournament goes on.

Although, recent history suggests we're no chance to win it unless we play Richmond, Geelong, Essendon and Adelaide.

saintlee
Club Player

Win it......providing no risks are taken to key players in doing so...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, never subscribed to the theory that preventing a player from taking the field will limit injury if they continue to participate in training?

Secondly, I would like to the boys to make a statement that we are still as scary as last year, just with a bit of 'unfinished business' determination to increase the fear a notch.

8-)
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 11 Jan 2010 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its only a practice match so treat it that way. Play the young guys round one and if we win gradually increase the experience in the side. If we lose who gives a stuff.

Just one other point. Why do people watch from behind the goals. Surely nearly the worst spot to watch it from IMO.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Its only a practice match so treat it that way. Play the young guys round one and if we win gradually increase the experience in the side. If we lose who gives a stuff.

Just one other point. Why do people watch from behind the goals. Surely nearly the worst spot to watch it from IMO.
Agree 100%, you actually make sense sometimes!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Its only a practice match so treat it that way. Play the young guys round one and if we win gradually increase the experience in the side. If we lose who gives a stuff.

Agree 100%, you actually make sense sometimes!
No I dont.

repta
Club Player

The team should be ranked in importance for a Premiership. Eg Roo, Del, Lenny etc down to fringe players and rookies. Once the list is conducted pick the team from the bottom. Rookies first, fringe second and finally those like Gwilt, Raph ....
NAB Cup ... who cares!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just embarass Collingwood with Luke Ball in the first round.
After that, it's nice to win, but not a priority.
Mind you if we get to the semi's, then you might get a tad more serious, because it's always nice towin some silverware.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I want to see Armitage, Steven and Geary on the ball with McEvoy and Stanley in the ruck and Lynch and Walsh up forward.

Would also like to get another look at Luke Miles and a first look (in AFL) at Will Johnson.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

play the kids. could not give a toss if we win or lose (except the grounds are a little nicer and we get on tv)

im dying to see stanley, lynch, miles, steven, heyne, johnson all get a sniff of it! maybe even winmar.

im happy to rest anyone with the slightest of niggles of tightness.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Just embarass Collingwood with Luke Ball in the first round.
After that, it's nice to win, but not a priority.
Mind you if we get to the semi's, then you might get a tad more serious, because it's always nice towin some silverware.
Not sure any side would be embarrassed about losing a practice game and I am pretty sure the coaching staff wont be thinking your way.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Last year taught us that practice match form means zip lol

Stars rested, games at far-flung locations..its all a bit of a lottery.

We lost the NAB Cup Round 1, were very average against a "Richmond" side that most VFL clubs would have beaten, played in one of the worst games of football ive ever witnessed in the heat v Doggies, then got thrashed over in Adelaide with a virtual full-strength side in.

The rest as they say, is history.

Whilst its always good to knock off the Pies anytime, anywhere..it would also be funny watching them carry on like they'd won the flag in Round 1 of the NAB Cup

No injuries and one or two of the kids to really stand up and say PICK ME!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

THE most important aspect of Rd 1 of the nab cup is that it is at Etihad Stadium. That means we will be able to catch up, have a quiet frothy and talk some bullchyt in Livewire prior to the game !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

my biggest fear for 2010 is injuries.

Can we just not play the preseason comp?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The only thing good about the pre season comp is that fans are starved of football and almost anything is good enough.

There is doubt that this comp will continue when GC17 and the second Sydney side come into the competition, or at the very least not in its current format.

I only enjoy it because it's the next best thing to the real stuff and that I am eager to watch anything that closely resembles a match of football.

I do tend to watch most of the matches, just to see the other Clubs and their up and coming players.

That's where I stand!!!

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:my biggest fear for 2010 is injuries.

How does that eliminate injuries though?

I think you will have to tie down some of our stars if you want them to sit it out, they will be bursting with restless energy, why not allow them to start with a bang?

Of course rest anyone with niggles, but apart from that, let them play if they want to.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigred wrote:my biggest fear for 2010 is injuries.

How does that eliminate injuries though?

I think you will have to tie down some of our stars if you want them to sit it out, they will be bursting with restless energy, why not allow them to start with a bang?

Of course rest anyone with niggles, but apart from that, let them play if they want to.
just rest em till the GF maybe....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....