Our best wins of 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Our best wins of 2009

Here is my top five.

Round 14. St Kilda defeated Geelong. One of the best home and away matches we'll ever see.

Round 7. Collingwood lost to St Kilda. Our greatest ever win over a tragically under-manned Magpie outfit. A fantastic display of on-field dominance that was a thrill to watch.

Round 5. Port Adelaide lost to St Kilda. We finally dish out a long, over-due thrashing to our bogey team on their home turf. After a month of being labelled as flat-track bullies, critics finally acknowledge we could be the real deal after-all.

Round 2. Adelaide lost to St Kilda. A win that didn't necessarily get the critics believing the Saints had been under-estimated in their potential for 2009, but it certainly raised a few eye brows. An extra nineteen free kicks to the Saints certainly clouded the fairness of the victory, particularly in the eyes of the Adelaide media, but even Neil Craig himself said that the Saints dominate pressure was 'finals like'.

1st Preliminary Final. St Kilda defeated the Western Bulldogs. The final that St Kilda had no right winning and will be remembered for different reasons. A dominate Bulldogs outfit should have had the Saints almost put-away at half time, but their wayward kicking kept us in the hunt. Heroics by Riewoldt up forward and Hayes in the packs had us on the right end of the score board at the tail of one the most intense final quarters we'll ever witness. Several controversial umpiring decisions that went in St Kilda's favour had Bulldog fans screaming highway robbery, so this match may be a bit hard for some Saint fans to enjoy.

Feel free to add or argue.

Bad management is bad management
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Rd 14 - just about our greatest non finals win ever I reckon.

I loved the win against the crows in the second half of the year at Etihad - I was literally laughing at how inept our fwd line pressure made the crows (who were apparently going to show the world they were the real deal) look. I have never seen a team look so confused.

THe hawks in Tassie - as satisfied as I've ever felt after a game of footy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

round 5 v Port
after watching us get totally spanked by 11 goals in the practice match against the Power it was great to come out and watch the boys keep Port to a total score of 36
chips, roo bj and grammy had great games

round 7 v Pies
the pies were confident for 2009
after round 7 i think they realised their midfield was way bellow standard.
20 goals to 5 and the filth were silenced
dal and joey both had 38 touches, lenny had 31 and 9 tackles.
roo and schneides kicked 5 each

round 14 v cats
billed as one of the greatest matches to look forward to, it certainly didnt let anyone down.
what a game
back and forth between THE two giants that everyone had penciled in for the GF
lenny lead the way again with 33 touches and 8 tackles with jonesy slapping on 9 and joey getting into double figures
gards kicked 4 and had 20 hitouts (actually beaten in hitouts), but took the mark that got everyone to their feet.
game of the year

round 16 v Crows
everyone was getting on the crows, it was mayhem over here in SA, these guys were one of the teams that could bring us back down to reality in 2009...and did i hear it at work all week.
"Bring it on" was my reply to crows fans all week, from the local shops, to the suit and tie wearers at work.
plenty of sainters getting the footy
hayes 34 disposals and 10 tackles, dal and chips both added to that with 30 a piece, bj 33, grammy 34 ray ray had a staggering 39 and roo kicked 4
total tackle count was 73 to 50
way to much pressure and the crows crumbled

round 19 v hawks
this game is in there basically because of the side picked worked so friggin hard to get the win it deserves it.
bally had 11 tackles, with armo, mini and schneides chipping in with ten each
jonsey had 27 disposals and we saw some faces that were not common in the normal 22: armo (got 3 brownlow votes), begley, geary and young jack steven
the future looked good with a record 115 tackles to the hawks 68

if we include finals then the dogs game is deff in
i was front row with aok and his mum and some other fellow ss'ers werent far behind us in the same bay.
i can remember meeting at The Corner before the game and everyone saying they were so nervous about the game and were actually worried.
me?
i was confident as hell...
"no worries peoples, have some faith...we'll do em by 5 goals
two hours later im a nervous nelly with no fingernails left and absolutely shitting my pants.
when dal dodged round the player on the mark and kicked that one from 40 odd on the left side i was pumped.
when roo got that toe to the cherry and it went thru i nearly collapsed with friggin heart failure.
what a game

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

who gives a toss now.

We lost the one that counts.

2009 is over, let's try and forget the nightmare it became.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:who gives a toss now.

:lol: :lol:

You'd be great at dinner parties and other social occasions SP.

It's all about the journey, otherwise why bother following them at all? May as well just turn up to the GF and leave grumpy if we lose.

saintnick12
Club Player

Moods wrote:

It's all about the journey, otherwise why bother following them at all? May as well just turn up to the GF and leave grumpy if we lose.
+1

Yes, we lost the most important game of the year by a kick (or two if you count the stupid one kicked after the siren), and yes that means the year was ultimately a let down. But it doesn't take away from the fact that we still had a great season and improved on where we were...at the end of 2008 the general consensus was that the gap between Geelong/Hawthorn and us was very big based on both smashing us in the finals. But we improved from there, just as we will have to continue to improve next year if we want to win the big one.

While the final result was shattering, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey. Missed only one Melbourne game throughout the year (the collingwood one and only then because it was the monday night one and the we were all sick and decided not to go on my own). Enjoyed every game, and loved going to the games knowing it was more than likely that we would win...that felt great. Cheering the boys off after games, singing the song, going to the social club. I've never had a more enjoyable year following footy in my lifetime. That doesn't mean that the loss on the last day wasn't shattering, believe me it was. But it doesn't mean that the season itself wasnt enjoyable. I am looking forward to the new season with great hope and anticipation for success.

I also commend the OP. It was great to read people's different opinions on the games they enjoyed most through out the year. Made a change from the multiple posts on Lovett.
For the record, my fav games were the Geelong r14 game. Epecially the first qtr (couldn't believe how well we were doing - atmosphere electric..like nothing i've ever felt before), and the last few minutes, the tension, realizing Gardiner had taken the mark, watching the ball sail through, singing the song with gusto after.
Other one, was the prelim against the dogs. Couldn't enjoy it at all, just found the stress and pressure all too much...lol...can only imagine how the players felt. But the feeling at the end, when all looked gone, then we kicked those final goals...St Nick and Lenny...both stars....the feeling of realizing yes, we were in the GF. KNowing I would be going, the feeling was unbelieveable...would only be topped by actually winning the GF :wink: Sadly, we have to wait for that.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

As pessimistic as that is, I tend to hold this view as well. I've pretty much erased the memories of 09 out of my head. Other years were good, though this year we had a fair dinkum bonafide crack at the big one, and it wasn't to be. I'm scarred and 09 only brings up bad things :(

Carpe Diem
HarveysDeciple

Moods wrote: I loved the win against the crows in the second half of the year at Etihad - I was literally laughing at how inept our fwd line pressure made the crows (who were apparently going to show the world they were the real deal) look. I have never seen a team look so confused.

amen.

Don't think I have ever seen St.Kilda make a finalist look so second rate.

And we had a 6 day break coming off a trip to Perth, and a week before that the gruelling geelong game.

People expected us to be tired and flat and we obliterated a side that had 7 wins in a row or thereabouts.

Elvis
Club Player

Moods wrote:Rd 14 - just about our greatest non finals win ever I reckon.

I loved the win against the crows in the second half of the year at Etihad - I was literally laughing at how inept our fwd line pressure made the crows (who were apparently going to show the world they were the real deal) look. I have never seen a team look so confused.

THe hawks in Tassie - as satisfied as I've ever felt after a game of footy.
+ another, you're on the money here for mine Moods.

I don't really buy the opinions of those that don't have time to reflect positively on these experiences simply because the team didn't get up in the grand final. I watched the final reply again the other day and ffs, five minutes of football cost us and amongst that game, there was still a lot to love, Bakes desperate dive into the goal post, BJ's courage, Grammy's excelllent effort, Lenny's first half... there are many more.

As a football club we are in an interesting position. Yes it was a sour experience ultimately but it concerns me that some posters want to footnote any positive comment on the St.Kilda FC by reminding everyone of Grand Final failure.

For me, I'll leave that sort of attitude and approach to opposition supporters.

We can't ignore Grand Final failure, but we surely we can move on.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

hmm...my wife would be happy.....would only mean 1 week of the year that footy gets in the way of things rather than 25!!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote: round 16 v Crows
everyone was getting on the crows, it was mayhem over here in SA, these guys were one of the teams that could bring us back down to reality in 2009...and did i hear it at work all week.
"Bring it on" was my reply to crows fans all week, from the local shops, to the suit and tie wearers at work.
plenty of sainters getting the footy
hayes 34 disposals and 10 tackles, dal and chips both added to that with 30 a piece, bj 33, grammy 34 ray ray had a staggering 39 and roo kicked 4
total tackle count was 73 to 50
way to much pressure and the crows crumbled

round 19 v hawks
this game is in there basically because of the side picked worked so friggin hard to get the win it deserves it.
bally had 11 tackles, with armo, mini and schneides chipping in with ten each
jonsey had 27 disposals and we saw some faces that were not common in the normal 22: armo (got 3 brownlow votes), begley, geary and young jack steven
the future looked good with a record 115 tackles to the hawks 68
Yes, they were both very good matches in there own right.

The Round 6 clash with the Bulldogs was also a good win. We still had our critics, who were frequently pointing to the fact that we hadn't yet played any Victorian teams. The only let down from a spectacle point of view was when we took our foot off the gas in the last quarter after the horse had bolted.

wallbanger
Club Player

I'm on the side of those who want to celebrate the high points of the season, despite the devasting ultimate loss.

2009 was a season where we were all fortunate enough to witness a St Kilda side at the peak of it's powers for the majority of the year, dominating games in a manner rarely seen in the history of the Club. Whilst we fell short in the ultimate game (and bearing in mind that the cause of that was simply poor kicking, not 'playing' poorly as such - and in a match that is now regarded by independent football followers as one of the best and toughest GF's of recent history) we all have something to be very proud of. Yes, we fell short. Yes, we should've won. Yes, I was (and still am) just as devastated as everyone else, but I see it as hopefully the start of something big, not the end.

The boys were great this season - so close, yet so far. Hopefully 2010 will see them take the next step so we can see 2009 as the massive step it was towards ultimate premiership glory.

Impossible to go past the Geelong game round 14 as easily the best game of the season, and one of the best home and away games ever, surely? To have such a build-up and hype, and then live up to it with champions on both sides playing blinders, was something special.

The other unforgettable memory of 2009 for me was the efforts of Lenny and Roo in the final quarter against the Doggies. They simply dragged the rest of the team into the GF with an incredible display of desperation football. Any kid who wants to know what AFL footy is all about should watch those two in that last term continually throw their bodies at everything with unselfish desire - inspirational and brilliant to watch.

Gotta love being a Sainter at the moment. Bring on 2010 I say.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

How could I forget, Round 12, the Carlton match. We get off to a five goal start, but Carlton took the game on and draw within three points at half time. We dominate the third quarter but a free shot at goal to Fev after the siren because of an interchange infringement kept the Blues in the hunt. Final quarter an absolute thriller and the goal to seal the victory came from the most unlikely of heroes.

Wasn't a match where we were at our best, but what a thriller to watch.

bozza1980
Club Player

Thumping Collingwood in a final is always nice.

I still think the thumping win over Adelaide at the Dome was our best win of the year, the Crows had become the press' love child and we made them look silly.

Obvioulsy though beating the Doggies in the prelim was the best feeling of the year, unfortunatley it was our last win of the year not second last.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Maxstar22
Club Player

This year I lost my voice at 2 games, so I am thinking that is a sure sign of a great game.

I absolutely blew my lid off after the Geelong game. I think we really showed in that game that finally we could mix it with the big boys.

The Doggies prelim was the best game ever for me personally. After the game, I just stood there in amazement that our boys had done it. I couldn't breath, I couldn't speak and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

I am hoping to lose my voice many times next year :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:This year I lost my voice at 2 games, so I am thinking that is a sure sign of a great game.

I absolutely blew my lid off after the Geelong game. I think we really showed in that game that finally we could mix it with the big boys.

The Doggies prelim was the best game ever for me personally. After the game, I just stood there in amazement that our boys had done it. I couldn't breath, I couldn't speak and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

I am hoping to lose my voice many times next year :lol:

any win over carscum is nice......loved the win at the dome...also the win over geelong...after ball kicked the ball to gardiner....shame we won't be seeing that again.......didn't really enjoy the win over the doggies......thought we were lucky ....took a bit of the shine off it for me...but a win is a win is a win as they say..... :wink: :wink: ../especially one that gets you into a grand final

don't let the bed bugs bite maxstar..... :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:May as well just turn up to the GF and leave grumpy if we lose.

done that a couple of times plus one....three more than i care for.....4...if you count the night grannie against the roos..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Round 14 v Geelong. Watch it back. One of the all-time great h&a games. Was hyped to the max and lived up and went past all expectations

v Adelaide at Etihad. Written off after after a less-than-impressive win in Perth, we showed we were the real deal by smashing a side also destined for September

Preliminary Final. The most emotional end to a game of footy Ive ever experienced. Yes we squeaked over the line but the realisation that we, after stumbling at this point 3 times before, had finally made the big dance. I genuinely think I saw more tears of happiness at this game than tears of dissapointment after the GF

Smashing Collingwood was also great and always is, no matter how many they had out. The Carlton game was also in the Top 5 games of the 2010 season. The Blues set themslves for it and played out of their skins. We had to pull out our very best to beat them and the result was a gripping very high quality game

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor