Any report from the Cocktail Party on the Gold Coast??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Any report from the Cocktail Party on the Gold Coast??

C'mon saint bev.... Report and pics, please.
What's the goss? Was it as good as last year?
Will it be on again in 2010 seeing we'll be needing to celebrate a Premiership with the boys?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any report from the Cocktail Party on the Gold Coast??

BakesFan wrote:C'mon saint bev.... Report and pics, please.What's the goss? Was it as good as last year?
Will it be on again in 2010 seeing we'll be needing to celebrate a Premiership with the boys?
I'm thinking that bev will be sufficiently recovered to post a report sometime on Tuesday afternoon :lol: :lol:

Who's sponsoring Bev's panadol bill :?: :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Ha ha, picked it in one, not feeling the best today. And I just typed up a report and posted it. But............................ its disappeared.

When I am feeling a little less seedy, I will try again.

Needless to say it was awesome and the players were great.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Gold Coast Cocktail Party

Feeling human again, so I will have another go, seeing Batnoe is to slack :wink:

Firstly I have to thank St Kilda for allowing us to have the Cocktail Party. It was fabulous and it helps make up for all that us Qld supporters have missed over the years. Intraclub games, family day, the finals, all Harveys stuff last year, etc, its hard following footy when you live interestate.

I didn't ask about the GF, didn't see the point. Also I didn't talk about Luke Ball, I was going to, but totally forgot about him.

Also I didn't talk to any of the Coaches, was going to but ran out of time. I did notice though that there is alot of support staff. Danny Sexton hasn't left, so this is a new role for Royal.

Was very impressed with Jarryn Geary and Jack Steven. Jarryn has really matured as a person, in the past it was hard to get a word out of him. Fri he was very happy to chat. Said he really regretted his season dropping off and was determined to become a regular in the side. Jack also is very keen to be part of the team, however he didn't seem as confident.

Gram - His next game will be his 100. Said it mean't alot to him. Apparently you get your name on your locker when you have played 100, that was important to him.

Lovett - Ross was really pumping up his tyres, I get the opinion he lacks self belief. I think he will part of the team from the word go.

Tommy Walsh - Very excited about the opportunity he has been given but finding the climate hard to get use to. 3 in Dublin at the moment.

Lenny - He is soooooooooo nice. Had an elbow reconstruction, but all recovered.

Zac - Very confident young man, quick witted and very cheeky :oops:

Blake McGrath - Is sooooooooooo tall. Not short on a word, told me about starting at St Kilda. Said it was hard to get use to people knowing about his life. Said the players don't mind mixing with supporters but found the young girls hard to deal with.

Sam Fisher - We call him Mr Reliable up here. He asked us why and we said when ever the ball goes down the back line, we know you will get it out. He was genuinely touched and liked it :D Hes a sweetie.

Leigh Fisher - See whats happened as a second chance and hopes he can do what Mini has.

A funny thing happend, a friend of ours young son had next years calander which includes a pic of Luke Ball. He got the players to autograph it but on the Luke Ball page they drew horns, glasses etc on him. But the interesting thing was they put $ signs all over him!

Lots of other general chit chat but its hard to remember. I was surprised to hear about Eddy's footy, I actuallly didn't even see him at the function. As reported lots have had minor clean up operations, I stopped asking cause everyone was yeah I had this, nothing to worry about.

Will try and sus out more at training tomorrow and maybe some pics. :lol:
Last edited by Saint Bev on Mon 21 Dec 2009 12:37am, edited 2 times in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold Coast Cocktail Party

Saint Bev wrote:Feeling human again, so I will have another go, seeing Batnoe is to slack :wink:

Firstly I have to thank St Kilda for allowing us to have the Cocktail Party. It was fabulous and it helps make up for all that us Qld supporters have missed over the years. Intraclub games, family day, the finals, all Harveys stuff last year, etc, its hard following footy when you live interestate.

I didn't ask about the GF, didn't see the point. Also I didn't talk about Luke Ball, I was going to, but totally forgot about him.

Also I didn't talk to any of the Coaches, was going to but ran out of time. I did notice though that there is alot of support staff. Danny Sexton hasn't left, so this is a new role for Royal.

Was very impressed with Jarryn Geary and Jack Steven. Jarryn has really matured as a person, in the past it was hard to get a word out of him. Fri he was very happy to chat. Said he really regretted his season dropping off and was determined to become a regular in the side. Jack also is very keen to be part of the team, however he didn't seem as confident.

Gram - His next game will be his 100. Said it mean't alot to him. Apparently you get your name on your locker when you have played 100, that was important to him.

Lovett - Ross was really pumping up his tyres, I get the opinion he lacks self belief. I think he will part of the team from the word go.

Tommy Walsh - Very excited about the opportunity he has been given but finding the climate hard to get use to. 3 in Dublin at the moment.

Lenny - He is soooooooooo nice. Had an elbow reconstruction, but all recovered.

Zac - Very confident young man, quick witted and very cheeky :oops:

Blake McGrath - Is sooooooooooo tall. Not short on a word, told me about starting at St Kilda. Said it was hard to get use to people knowing about his life. Said the players don't mind mixing with supporters but found the young girls hard to deal with. I was quite impressed, however our daughter was talking to him and she thought he had a bad attitude. He said St Kilda encourage them to study but he coldn't be bothered. Also they do weights at Moorabbin then they are given a program to do at home, said he doesn't do that but tells St Kilda he does. Same with diet. He is only young so lets hope he can get his act together.

Sam Fischer - We call him Mr Reliable up here. He asked us why and we said when ever the ball goes down the back line, we know you will get it out. He was genuinely touched and liked it :D Hes a sweetie.

Leigh Fischer - See whats happened as a second chance and hopes he can do what Mini has.

A funny thing happend, a friend of ours young son had next years calander which includes a pic of Luke Ball. He got the players to autograph it but on the Luke Ball page they drew horns, glasses etc on him. But the interesting thing was they put $ signs all over him!

Lots of other general chit chat but its hard to remember. I was surprised to hear about Eddy's footy, I actuallly didn't even see him at the function. As reported lots have had minor clean up operations, I stopped asking cause everyone was yeah I had this, nothing to worry about.

Will try and sus out more at training tomorrow and maybe some pics. :lol:

Good report Bev.

In regards to the Calender, horns and glasses are light hearted but to put dollar signs is character damaging. Very interesting.

Batnoe

I havent got as much to say as last year, partly because there seemed to be more people there and the popular players were very hard to get a conversation in so a photo with each player and a hand shake did me for most of it.

Lovett- He did seem to be very shy and not confident, i dont know what it was but seemed to hide behind a player the whole time... but particulary ross Lyon, i got a photo of Ross and Lovett together and Lovett nearly disappeared until i called him back saying i wanted a photo with both of them. he obliged.

Dawson- seems very shy also but doenst mind a chat. I guess he probably cant see what all the fuss is about after being from where he has come from. He said was happy to take number 6... it was offered to him and thought it would be rude to turn it down if the club thought he was worthy of a number change and is looking forward to the task. He seens a lot taller in stature than 195cm... I asked him how he seems to paddle the ball forward on the ground while he is running and i said he is good below the knees and if he played basketball as a junior, he said he was more of a swimmer... Loves playing Carlton, he loved the goal he got against them and that is one of his favourite memories. I asked him if he liked being Full Back, he said he is happy to play wherever the coach wants, he said it is hard role to play but with lots of support it is easier, he really didnt like it the way he was thrown back at Hawthorn and then tormented as he had never played FB before, he was always a forward, but now he is growing in confidence he likes the challenge. He also remembered my mate stealing his snake at carrara... It is good when a player remembers you!

Tommy- Looking foward to the challenge.... He said his brother should get a chance to train next year and is talented. Never done weights in his life and the difference in a professional sport where it is all about it is great. Is happy for the chance and will try hard to make it, but knows he has a lot to learn, still cant kick as reports say, he is finding it hard...

Farren- He is a good bloke... doesnt mind a chat at all. It was interesting because as soon as the sushi came out the boys just chowed down on it, they were all so hungry- obvioulsy had trained earlier. Farren was saying that with the deep fried spring rolls, and deep fried prawns that sushi was one of the only things most of them could eat while they were in training. he said he didnt have to worry about it as he is skinny and doenst have to watch his weight.. but still asked the waitress what food was inside the deep fried stuff. He said being from Perth he used to like both WA teams although never barracking for one, would generally barrack for the underdog, but hates the Freo song so he said WC was his favourite, is very happy at St.Kilda

Geary and Steven- they were together for the whole time so i spoke to both.. Both happy with number changes and are looking forward at making regurlar appearances. I asked what they do on new years with beers etc and if they can drink while they are training.. They can have a couple of beers and have fun but dont do anything silly and dont bring attention to yourself so keeping it at a couple is probably best. As they dont drink too much, 2 beers is all they need

Nicholas Winmar- is glad he got the chance. he was really shy at the start and that is when i spoke to him but i got a photo with him at the end and he seemed a bit more chirpy

Joey- funny guy. My GF's favourite player and she lets him know each time, i asked for a photo and he said' i dont want one with you, i want one with your mrs' i said you are also my favourite so he we had a photo too. Joey did the aution of the signed jumper. he said at the start that the gurnsay last year sold for about $1000 when he auctioned it off and hope to get close to that again (it actually sold for $400) Maybe it was because of minor premiers and prices go up, but this year it sold for $1300. Kosi was also bidding on this and bid up to $1000, Riewoldt yelled out ' stop bidding, let Kosi buy it' Unfortunatley someone beat him

Armo- I said to him' good luck mate, looking forward to the challenge, didnt want a number change? He said, he's looking forward to being a regular and didnt want a number change!!

Leigh Fisher- He is actually one of the nicest guys on the list and very humble... He has just finished his studying in commerce and is going to get a cadetship next year in the trade, for 1 day a week. Knows he has to look for life after footy. he said the average time in the system is 4 years... so has had longer than that, really has to knuckle down. I asked was it hard to lose the number 6... he just said i am looking forward to the challenge and wants to be on of the only players to have played in 3 numbers.. 22, 6 and 37

Interesting to note
Bulked up: Gram, Gilbert, Dawson

Seemed to have trimmed: Goddard, Kosi

Maybe they have different roles in store? Goddard in the middle, maybe Gilbert more KPP?

I didnt get to chat to some of the more popular players as they were all taken up...

Interesting to note in a group photo Baker told Clinton Jones to get out of the photo as he was wrecking it....

I was also standing in the garden in the group photo with Kosi and Kosi said to me ' get out of the garden you bastard, you are wrecking it/ hahahah

aussiejones
Club Player

Blake McGrath " Also they do weights at Moorabbin then they are given a program to do at home, said he doesn't do that but tells St Kilda he does. Same with diet. "

Nothing to be proud of .

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

aussiejones wrote:Blake McGrath " Also they do weights at Moorabbin then they are given a program to do at home, said he doesn't do that but tells St Kilda he does. Same with diet. "

Nothing to be proud of .
Exactly, I was surprised that he would even tell someone he doesn't know that. So I guess it doesn't bother him. He did say it was a massive adjustment, so we can just hope that he will have a change of attitude or he won't make it.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:Blake McGrath " Also they do weights at Moorabbin then they are given a program to do at home, said he doesn't do that but tells St Kilda he does. Same with diet. "

Nothing to be proud of .
The guy isn't very smart as this site is monitored. He'll get found out .

Another opportunity awaits!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So much for having a relaxed, off-the-record word with the supporters...

:!:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Great info Bev and Batnoe.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Must have been nice not to get in a plane to see the Saints. Did anyone chat to Ross Lyon or Steve Silvagni? Were they there? Any speeches?

Batnoe

Milan Faletic wrote:Great info Bev and Batnoe.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Must have been nice not to get in a plane to see the Saints. Did anyone chat to Ross Lyon or Steve Silvagni? Were they there? Any speeches?

I wish i had a better chat to Ross, i have tried to talk to SOS before and i didnt really like him... Last year, he didnt want to be there so i didnt try to approach him this time. Never seems happy and his body language is terrible

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

Nothing to be proud of .
The guy isn't very smart as this site is monitored. He'll get found out .
No. The guy sounds naive. Obviously believes that making those remarks at a club function to ppl he doesn't know won't get back. If he lasts a few more years (although with that supposed attitude not likely) he will learn that family and close friends are the only ppl you divulge these sort of things to - maybe....

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Nothing to be proud of .
Well, he's busted now :)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I remember a young Barry Hall openly discussing the fact he didn't like Alves and the way he treated the young players. This was in an open question/answer discussion at a country supporters group night,maybe early 97....

Bring back the Lockett era
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
Very interesting indeed

To me, this would enhance one side of a recent lengthy arguement on here at the same time as destroying the other !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Batnoe wrote:
I wish i had a better chat to Ross, i have tried to talk to SOS before and i didnt really like him... Last year, he didnt want to be there so i didnt try to approach him this time. Never seems happy and his body language is terrible
He'd be in a hurry to get back to his wife. Can't blame him.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Hmmmmmmmm, bit surprised by the reaction here. For a start everyone at St Kilda is now on holiday, so are they going to see it!!!!!!!!! Also, if Blake is not building himself up the way he should, I am sure they would know that without a fan saying anything.

I can take it down if people think I should :?:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Hmmmmmmmm, bit surprised by the reaction here. For a start everyone at St Kilda is now on holiday, so are they going to see it!!!!!!!!! Also, if Blake is not building himself up the way he should, I am sure they would know that without a fan saying anything.

What's the point. It's already been quoted and you can't delete those posts. In future he'll learn to keep his mouth shut instead of trying to make a hero of himself.

Another opportunity awaits!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:
Very interesting indeed

To me, this would enhance one side of a recent lengthy arguement on here at the same time as destroying the other !!
There must be some mistake, as we have been told over and over that money had almost nothing to do with it, and that the players were completely fine with what he did and the way he did it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you should fgeel bad about your post Bev. You were at a club function as a supporter, of course supporters will repeat stupid things that players say to them. As I said, very naive by the kid, but very interesting comment. Let's hope he was just trying to impress your daughter with a laid back, couldn't care less, take it as it comes attitude. In any event hopefully someone of importance does read your comments and takes note - may need a kick up the back side.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Hmmmmmmmm, bit surprised by the reaction here. For a start everyone at St Kilda is now on holiday, so are they going to see it!!!!!!!!! Also, if Blake is not building himself up the way he should, I am sure they would know that without a fan saying anything.

Bev, thanks for a great report. I'm glad you were rewarded with such a wonderful night.
How old is your daughter, Bev? Could it be that it was a poor attempt to relate on a level that he thought she'd identify with... you know, "yeah, there are rules, but I'm a pretty cool dude and I'll do as I please" type thing?
Anyway, if he is making these comments publicly to people he doesn't know, particularly fans, who are obviously going to be chuffed by their encounter with him and want to share it with others, he should know better than to expect that his words will be kept in confidence.
As with any young man at the start of a journey in life, it appears that he has much to learn.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SaintDebi
Club Player

Moods wrote:I don't think you should fgeel bad about your post Bev. You were at a club function as a supporter, of course supporters will repeat stupid things that players say to them. As I said, very naive by the kid, but very interesting comment. Let's hope he was just trying to impress your daughter with a laid back, couldn't care less, take it as it comes attitude. In any event hopefully someone of importance does read your comments and takes note - may need a kick up the back side.
I got distracted and took a while to complete and post my comment, Moods, but I started typing around the same time as your post. Seems we might be on the same wavelength here.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the udpates, sounds like a good night had by all :D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Thanks for the udpates, sounds like a good night had by all :D

Yeh i know, seems worthwhile to take a plane to the GC just to go to these functions.

Can anyone go?