1991 Final-St.K v Geelong on 7TWO (been shown)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

1991 Final-St.K v Geelong on 7TWO (been shown)

If you can stand watching it.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 27 Dec 2009 3:32am, edited 1 time in total.

HarveysDeciple

Cracking game of footy.

Brownless 8 at one end,

Lockett 9 at the other.

Gary Ablett did stuff all yet won them the game by knocking out Nathan Burke.

He was tagging Gary Hocking who went on to dominate.

David Grant also went down early and was finished for the day.

Back then we only had 2 bench players so we were down to just the 18, and on a warmish day at high intensity we ran out of gas.

The first year of the final 6 was also a factor, they stuffed up the draw.

3rd played 4th and 5th played 6th.

What that meant was a top 4 side was certain to be eliminated in the first week, whilst a team that missed the top 4 was guaranteed to get through.

They changed it the next year for the better, but didn't help us at all.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I wasnt there, but I remember hearing on the radio the roar that greeted our first goal in our first final for 18 years (McAdam, on the run)....just about blew up the speakers

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I remember that game. Although I've never actually seen it. I was listening to it on the radio in the car as a 10 year old whilst my family was visiting friends. I didn't want to get out of the car. It was really exciting yet it's the second game I remember crying about afterwards. The first was when I saw a replay of the 66 GF. Obviously crying for different reasons and I must of been about 9 years of age when I saw it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember that game -I just wished we could have had a tough run-through player to knock over a couple of Geelong lightweights..actually I felt the same during this year's GF..not enough hard stuff on Geelong key players, I thought we were a bit too nice.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

One of the best games of football I have ever seen. Was an absolute corker.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

damn, i would have watched that just to see lockett at his best again, he was magnificent that day.

it was heartbreaking, though. despite the loss of grant and burke we had them on toast at half time and should have won. if only we'd been able to contain brownless.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Losing Burke and Grant cost us the game. Ablett did nothing that day and I think we were too Ablett conscious. Hocking ripped us to shreds but we didn't have Burke or Grant to cover him. That loss was heartbreaking. To finish 4th and get eliminated straight away. The AFL changed the Top 6 system after that final series. Once again something that got changed after the Saints got punished.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Who the **** wants to be reminded of replays of games we lost!

FAIR DINKUM

I've got about as much interest in watching ANY replay of a loss as I have in having myself tied to a tree next to a bullant nest covered in maple syrup, smothered with worms, maggots and bluebottle jellyfish, having a nest of european wasps unleashed from close range and then if I'm still good to go, taking a swim with a bunch of crocodiles, sea snakes and white pointers.

The next person who posts the 71 Grand Final is on or the fricken 97 Grand Final or GOD FORBID, attempt to inform everyone that Foxtel is showing a repeat of the 2009 Grand Final, then IMHO they should be immediately banned for 6 months.

Seriously it is going to be hard enough watching Chapmans goal replayed over and over again all throughout the 2010 season and made even more galling by the fact that the methods that got him out there on the ground to begin with have now been outlawed as illegal! :roll:

FAIR DINKUM, WHY!

Anyone wanting to watch this shyte, might be better served having themselves whipped mercilessly by a dominatrix and then submitting on all fours to a room full of well hung trannies on spanish fly!

Personally I really don't like watching horror films!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
friggin chappie
:evil:

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

I've got about as much interest in watching ANY replay of a loss as I have in having myself tied to a tree next to a bullant nest covered in maple syrup, smothered with worms, maggots and bluebottle jellyfish, having a nest of european wasps unleashed from close range and then if I'm still good to go, taking a swim with a bunch of crocodiles, sea snakes and white pointers.

The next person who posts the 71 Grand Final is on or the fricken 97 Grand Final or GOD FORBID, attempt to inform everyone that Foxtel is showing a repeat of the 2009 Grand Final, then IMHO they should be immediately banned for 6 months.

Seriously it is going to be hard enough watching Chapmans goal replayed over and over again all throughout the 2010 season and made even more galling by the fact that the methods that got him out there on the ground to begin with have now been outlawed as illegal!

FAIR DINKUM, WHY!

Anyone wanting to watch this shyte, might be better served having themselves whipped mercilessly by a dominatrix and then submitting on all fours to a room full of well hung trannies on spanish fly!

Am with you 100% on this one. Why would anyone want to sit through the misery ? (But if you do, Pluggers second quarter, from memory is about as good as it gets. :lol: )

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Stephen Theodore wrote:barks4eva wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

Seriously it is going to be hard enough watching Chapmans goal replayed over and over again all throughout the 2010 season and made even more galling by the fact that the methods that got him out there on the ground to begin with have now been outlawed as illegal!

FAIR DINKUM, WHY!

Am with you 100% on this one. Why would anyone want to sit through the misery ? (But if you do, Pluggers second quarter, from memory is about as good as it gets. :lol: )
disagree 200% if you cant watch a great game of footy for the enjoyment of it, then something is wrong. The '91 game at AFL park was one of the great ones. Besides if you are only going to watch winning saints finals games, then your choice is pretty limited.

Seeya
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

One of the best finals I've ever been too.

Wish somebody had taped it and put some highlights on YouTube...

We opened up with the first three goals and looked unbeatable.

Lockett's miss in the last quarter will stay with me forever.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 15 Dec 2009 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Yep I watched it this morning as well. Made me run late for work!!

I kept forgetting that it was 18 years ago and even though I knew the result I was still pacing the loungeroom and yelling at the tv....not sure what the neighbours thought of that at 5am :?

I still got excited when Plugger was bagging them, jumped out of my chair when Winmar took that grab and even laughed when Russell Morris kicked a dubious goal.

I even saw some familiar faces in the crowd...even if they were looking alittle younger :P

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I wasnt there, but I remember hearing on the radio the roar that greeted our first goal in our first final for 18 years (McAdam, on the run)....just about blew up the speakers
Was right in front of me, dead right, never heard a roar like it, forgotten all about it until you mentioned it...

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Para1. Who the **** wants to be reminded of replays of games we lost!

FAIR DINKUM

Para 2. I've got about as much interest in watching ANY replay of a loss as I have in having myself tied to a tree next to a bullant nest covered in maple syrup, smothered with worms, maggots and bluebottle jellyfish, having a nest of european wasps unleashed from close range and then if I'm still good to go, taking a swim with a bunch of crocodiles, sea snakes and white pointers.

Para 3. The next person who posts the 71 Grand Final is on or the fricken 97 Grand Final or GOD FORBID, attempt to inform everyone that Foxtel is showing a repeat of the 2009 Grand Final, then IMHO they should be immediately banned for 6 months.

Para 4. Seriously it is going to be hard enough watching Chapmans goal replayed over and over again all throughout the 2010 season and made even more galling by the fact that the methods that got him out there on the ground to begin with have now been outlawed as illegal! :roll:

FAIR DINKUM, WHY!

Para 6. Anyone wanting to watch this shyte, might be better served having themselves whipped mercilessly by a dominatrix and then submitting on all fours to a room full of well hung trannies on spanish fly!

Para 7. Personally I really don't like watching horror films!

Hey barks4eva

In para 1, maybe you meant that in your humble opinion, you are not interested in watching those games. That way you are speaking for yourself and only yourself.

Para 2 is perfectly understandable and solely your opinion so fair enough. Guess what? A lot of people have no interest in your feelings on watching that game, but it's your opinion and as valid as anyone else's on the forum provided there are no insults or personal attacks.

Para 3 is also valid because you included IMHO. Nice etiquette.

Para 4 I agree with totally.

"FAIR DINKUM, WHY"...... I can feel your frustration.

Para 6 and 7 are interesting suggestions/opinions for people who want to watch those games.

My humble opinion:

1.Don't shoot the messenger, he may just agree with you. I just thought there are some people who haven't seen the game and may be interested in seeing Plugger. Some of the younger Forumites may not have seen the game. it is 18 years old.

2. Some people may actually not be interested in your opinion. The only reason I am interested is because you "prescribed" a 6 month suspension for people who post about the games that you may not like. Joke or not, I think I should respond and I respect your right to an opinion and I know you will respect my right to an opinion.

3. You know what, I didn't even watch the replay last night, I was just trying to provide information for everyone. Is that what a forum is for? IMHO, if you are not interested, maybe just ignore the thread and avoid the stress.

4. I have not watched this year's GF yet so in a lot of ways we are similar....yet different.

Based on your logic, we should only watch the Trevor Barker games where we won because there would certainly be no highlights of his great football in the 80% of the games we lost while he played for us

Infact, the mark that Barks took in your avatar pic. Did we win or lose that game...and does it matter? It was still a great mark.
:?:

My original post said "If you can stand watching it."

Vive le difference! And happy posting! :wink:
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Tue 15 Dec 2009 9:16pm, edited 6 times in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Post of the year. I am 100% with you but.....

So I don't reckon that is exactly 100% :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great game my arse!

The farkwit Ablett should have been K'OD for what he did to Burkey.

I just wish the prick was locked up for good.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:great game my arse!

The farkwit Ablett should have been K'OD for what he did to Burkey.

I just wish the prick was locked up for good.
Never played your arse before. It is that a great game? :wink:

Not my cup of tea but may be worth marketing.

IMHO we wasted too much time on Ablett that day while Hocking tore us to shreds.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Wed 16 Dec 2009 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
saint66au wrote:I wasnt there, but I remember hearing on the radio the roar that greeted our first goal in our first final for 18 years (McAdam, on the run)....just about blew up the speakers
Was right in front of me, dead right, never heard a roar like it, forgotten all about it until you mentioned it...
Yep,remember the roar,I was only 11, but I remember the game clearly like it was just a few years ago. I was shocked at the noise when he got the first,never knew a noise that loud exsisted.

Locketts heroics in the 2nd quarter I'll take with me to the grave. The 5th goal snap in the second just sent everyone into a spasticated frenzy...finally it was our moment in the sun....then the inevitable happened

Bring back the Lockett era
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

This was the first final I ever attended and the first finals game the Saints played in my lifetime.

It felt like being like a GF because it was such a long time between drinks for the club. And it was a glorious spring day to go.

The opening goal by McAdam was electrifying. Plugger was incredible with 9 goals. Spud Frawley's face at the end of the game said it all.

Completely lost my respect for Ablett Sr (as a sportsman) after that game. The jerk never appologised for the head injuries he caused Burkey. He deserves to be all depressed and everything :x

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Yes we got punished then they change the rules, just like Chapman having his own blood re-injected during the grand final this year, and Gia's bump on Kozi and West from geelong's bump on x clarke and Hall's sly dog punch to Maguire's stomach in the 05 prelim...we always seem to get screwed over with these things then they change the rules! Will probably be the same with Hawkins poster in the granny that was called a goal! They will introduce video replays or something now! Our luck has to change one day....hopefully 2010!
Milan Faletic wrote:Losing Burke and Grant cost us the game. Ablett did nothing that day and I think we were too Ablett conscious. Hocking ripped us to shreds but we didn't have Burke or Grant to cover him. That loss was heartbreaking. To finish 4th and get eliminated straight away. The AFL changed the Top 6 system after that final series. Once again something that got changed after the Saints got punished.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Superboot
SS Life Member

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Yes we got punished then they change the rules, just like Chapman having his own blood re-injected during the grand final this year, and Gia's bump on Kozi and West from geelong's bump on x clarke and Hall's sly dog punch to Maguire's stomach in the 05 prelim...we always seem to get screwed over with these things then they change the rules! Will probably be the same with Hawkins poster in the granny that was called a goal! They will introduce video replays or something now! Our luck has to change one day....hopefully 2010!
Milan Faletic wrote:Losing Burke and Grant cost us the game. Ablett did nothing that day and I think we were too Ablett conscious. Hocking ripped us to shreds but we didn't have Burke or Grant to cover him. That loss was heartbreaking. To finish 4th and get eliminated straight away. The AFL changed the Top 6 system after that final series. Once again something that got changed after the Saints got punished.
Agree with this, but we did benefit from the incident that resulted in the decision to increase the height of the posts!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Yes we got punished then they change the rules, just like Chapman having his own blood re-injected during the grand final this year, and Gia's bump on Kozi and West from geelong's bump on x clarke and Hall's sly dog punch to Maguire's stomach in the 05 prelim...we always seem to get screwed over with these things then they change the rules! Will probably be the same with Hawkins poster in the granny that was called a goal! They will introduce video replays or something now! Our luck has to change one day....hopefully 2010!
One more thing was the swapping of the jumpers so we saw Doc and the boys do our only victory lap in 1966 wearing that filthy Black and White jumper. :x

older saint
SS Life Member

First final in my memorable life time.
One of the best gamesof footy i have been to.

Locket missed 2 or 3 easy shots in first quart which could have put them away ( sound familar).
Lost at selection with Nixon picked who hadn't played for ages and when 2 injuries occured he had to play a whole game which he was not up to.

Harding on Brownless was a mistake and Vidovik getting reported in last quarter withgame on the line lead to the sealer.

That said could not have played any better and unfortunately Melb/Ess got to playthe next week thanks to the AFL ridiculous system
That was the year we could have won the flag as we beat Haw and WC Meb and Ess that year!