What an amazingly insightful read on Jesse Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

What an amazingly insightful read on Jesse Smith

:shock:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 5807627183

ROUND 5, 2008. It's a long time ago in anyone's language, but for Jesse Smith it feels even longer.

That day 20 months ago was the last time the 23-year-old played an AFL game.

The chronic hamstring problems have been well documented, but Smith has emerged from the gloom in the hope a change of clubs will spark his revival.

After walking out on North Melbourne, Smith was snapped up by St Kilda in the draft with pick No. 60 in a massive gamble.

But Saints coach Ross Lyon said he would back his medical staff. "Our people are really confident they can expand his range of movement. We think we're going to get there," he said.

Smith has suffered six hamstring injuries in two years, limiting him to 27 games in five years for the club at which his father Ross was revered.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* Recruiting coup: Tommy a Saints gun

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated for the last two years," Smith said.

"Dave Misson (St Kilda strength and conditioning manager) has spoken to me a couple of times.

"It's not so much a conditioning thing. It's more my running style because I haven't had any soft-tissue injuries on my left leg.

"It's just about getting the right work through my leg, through my core and through my glutes."

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Reading this, I think getting Smith healthy will be harder than first thought. If it was just a conditioning issue that anyone would be silly not to say that Dave could make a difference, but having the wrong co-ordination and muscle activation is a lot more difficult to change. Either way going by our recent track record, you would think if anyone we could get him right.

Carpe Diem
bob__71
Club Player

Fingers are you Sam Edmund?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

At pick 60 we have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I conditioning staff have been terrific, so anything could happen.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
fingers
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:Fingers are you Sam Edmund?

LOL - I think I should be offended.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:Reading this, I think getting Smith healthy will be harder than first thought. If it was just a conditioning issue that anyone would be silly not to say that Dave could make a difference, but having the wrong co-ordination and muscle activation is a lot more difficult to change. Either way going by our recent track record, you would think if anyone we could get him right.
I am not sure of the exact date, but I first heard about this (Smith having to learn to run differently) almost immediately that he was drafted and so I this would have always been part of the consideration when he was drafted and so would not be new.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeah good call, it's clear the club has confidence in the medical team that they can get him healthy. The club would've known this from the start, but reading the papers until this article I thought it was soft tissue injuries caused by poor conditioning not a technique/activation problem that was the issue.

At the end of the day Bev is spot on, at pick 60 there is nothing to loose.

Carpe Diem
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

3 Roo supporters have left less than flattering comments at the foot of the Herald Sun story. Sounds a bit like Saintsation re Luke Ball

Another opportunity awaits!
smilk
Club Player

they've written this article from the interview jesse and ross made just after he was drafted weeks ago... must be a slow news week

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... rence-6860

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Here's a cliche for you, he has heaps of "upside"

mick13
Club Player

Moccha wrote:3 Roo supporters have left less than flattering comments at the foot of the Herald Sun story. Sounds a bit like Saintsation re Luke Ball
It's pretty much exactly the same circumstances. Except JWS came out and had a shot at the Roos and their facilities...

I think we should be able to understand more than anyone why they are pissed off at him.

saintnick12
Club Player

mick13 wrote:
Moccha wrote:3 Roo supporters have left less than flattering comments at the foot of the Herald Sun story. Sounds a bit like Saintsation re Luke Ball
It's pretty much exactly the same circumstances. Except JWS came out and had a shot at the Roos and their facilities...

I think we should be able to understand more than anyone why they are pissed off at him.
I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading the comments at the bottom of the story. Clearly many Roos supporters are annoyed that he walked out and fair enough. Hopefully their loss will be our gain. Might help some get over the whole Luke Ball saga.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

From all sources, it seems that if he can get over his hamstring problems he could be a top pick up. Then I do wonder why Matt Maguire was given the same chance....or maybe he was. I do believe in our fitness staff so I am happy for them to go with Smith. I mean how many GF's have we actually played in, in the last 100 years.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Point of contention:

At pick 60, it is not a "massive" gamble. At that pick, it's a calculated risk.

If he was plucked in the first round, that's a high risk. Second round? Sure, even that's something of a risk. Quite a lot of good young talent still exists at that point.

But using pick 60 on a 23-year old with immense talent, no attitude problems and in need of a fresh break is not a "massive" risk is anyone's language.

If he doesn't come off, it's not a problem. He's actually considerably less of a risk than most 60+ picks.

I see what young Sam Edmund was trying to get at but that's just a little too sensationalist for my liking.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

smilk
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
mick13 wrote:

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I was reading the comments at the bottom of the story. Clearly many Roos supporters are annoyed that he walked out and fair enough. Hopefully their loss will be our gain. Might help some get over the whole Luke Ball saga.
I wouldn't compare it to the ball saga at all... it's closer to x's story if anything. The guy hasn't played in over a year and a half and wanted a fresh start to get his career back on track - big deal. The poor guy has one last crack at getting over these injuries and wants to give himself the best opportunity possible.

Worth reading this article for an insight into his reasoning:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5786062715

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

smilk wrote:

I wouldn't compare it to the ball saga at all... it's closer to x's story if anything. The guy hasn't played in over a year and a half and wanted a fresh start to get his career back on track - big deal. The poor guy has one last crack at getting over these injuries and wants to give himself the best opportunity possible.
Plus one actively work with another club to leave...including participating in training sessions with said club while also scoring $500 K per year maintaining his overpaid player status.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Batnoe

i am happy with the pick

i hope he comes on

I am sure he can if he really wants to, but some bodies just arent made of the rigours of AFL unfortunately!!

If he could get his running right and strengthen his ankle then could be a huge asset

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Once again, I have no idea who this Luke guy is. Selective amnesia or Heath Black Syndrome :x

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Totally different to the Ball saga.

IF the incoming coach tells you he cant full time staff-up a strength and conditioning team - regardless of new buildings/equipment - and you are on 1 last chance to play AFL........its hard to blame the bloke.

I understand Nth fans dont want to lose the talent but I think he's being honest.....at least he didnt 'text' the club from O/S to say hes out...

“Yeah….nah””
jmac101
Club Player

well..look at it this way...by losing x. clarke, m. maguire and l. ball..we really needed to draft someone in to give the medical staff something to do. those three guys + m.gardiner have been the most medically intensive guys on our list over the last three years...maybe ross thinks that without a challenge our medical team will get bored...therefore jess smith gets drafted and gives them something to work a miracle on..

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:well..look at it this way...by losing x. clarke, m. maguire and l. ball..we really needed to draft someone in to give the medical staff something to do. those three guys + m.gardiner have been the most medically intensive guys on our list over the last three years...maybe ross thinks that without a challenge our medical team will get bored...therefore jess smith gets drafted and gives them something to work a miracle on..
I like it :lol: :lol:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Totally different to the Ball saga.

IF the incoming coach tells you he cant full time staff-up a strength and conditioning team - regardless of new buildings/equipment - and you are on 1 last chance to play AFL........its hard to blame the bloke.

I understand Nth fans dont want to lose the talent but I think he's being honest.....at least he didnt 'text' the club from O/S to say hes out...
Wasn't saying it was the same as the Ball saga, saying the reaction from the North supporters was similar to the reaction from Saints supporters when Ball left

Another opportunity awaits!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
jmac101 wrote:well..look at it this way...by losing x. clarke, m. maguire and l. ball..we really needed to draft someone in to give the medical staff something to do. those three guys + m.gardiner have been the most medically intensive guys on our list over the last three years...maybe ross thinks that without a challenge our medical team will get bored...therefore jess smith gets drafted and gives them something to work a miracle on..
I like it :lol: :lol:
Second!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Totally different to the Ball saga.

I understand Nth fans dont want to lose the talent but I think he's being honest.....at least he didnt 'text' the club from O/S to say hes out..
Correctomudo!