Jesse Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

Jesse Smith

to St Kilda for pick 60! Who saw that coming?!

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
S.A Saint
Club Player

seems the medical staff think they can patch him up...if it works out then would be one of the best picks in the draft

twirlyhair
Club Player

Taught Jesse when he was at Salesian Sunbury. Good kid, son of ex-champ father Ross, will succeed if his body comes good. Went as father son but could easily have gone no. 1 in draft. Worth the gamble.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Don't be mistaken Smith is elite, IF Misson can get his body right. He would have gone 1 in the draft and he is ONLY 22

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Good player - worth a punt.

Top4King
Club Player

yeah dont know would love to say that he's going to be okay, but yeah not confident on him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

so we get rid of a 25 year old crock in X and pick up a 22 y.o. crock in Smith.

I suppose it is not a bad swap - all things considered.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
doggerel
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:so we get rid of a 25 year old crock in X and pick up a 22 y.o. crock in Smith.

I suppose it is not a bad swap - all things considered.
Yeah, nice one!

I am happy to take that punt.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Statsman
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:so we get rid of a 25 year old crock in X and pick up a 22 y.o. crock in Smith.
Does that give Smith 3 years to get his body right? :wink:

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
yipper
SS Life Member

Jesse Smith is a gun - an elite level player no doubt. He left North blaming their facilities or lack therof for his constant injury battles. Ironically he is now fit, but still chose to leave North to seek a fresh start. He is a very good pick-up for us. Will benefit from having Dave Misson looking after him.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

AFL Prospectus 2008 Says: (this was the year after his one proper year of football - ie. staying on the park)

"Smith had a very successful third season of AFL football after an ankle injury kept him on the sidelines for all of 2006. He was played off a half-back flank for the whole season, conceding just 15 goals in 19 games. He averaged 17 disposals a match and was extremely consistent, never finishing with less than 11 disposals. Arguably the best game of his short career came against the Hawks in last season's semi-final when he racked up 27 disposals, five looseball gets, three inside 50s and four rebound 50s. Smith is also a good user of the ball and his disposal efficiency was above average for a defender, hitting the target 86% of the time. He averaged three tackles per game and laid the 10th most at the club."

He is 191cm and 85kg

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Jesse Smith is a gun - an elite level player no doubt. He left North blaming their facilities or lack therof for his constant injury battles. Ironically he is now fit, but still chose to leave North to seek a fresh start. He is a very good pick-up for us. Will benefit from having Dave Misson looking after him.
What were his injuries - does anyone know?

Apparently a 1st Round dp if fit.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

People forget that in a semi final in 2007 as a 21 year old this guy got 27 possessions. In fact he played 19 games in 2007 and averaged 18 possies a game. His skills are elite, he is 191cm and can run.

His problems have been recurring hamstrings which Misson seems to be able do well with.

He's been training with the Hawks and has moved quite well.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

A half back flank who controls and sets up a game at pick 60. Will have the biggest influence on the AFL in 2010 of all draftees. Absolute gun and more importantly fills a need in our team. Plus hes 22!!! :D

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But is he fit?

Can we fix his hammy's?

Or is our newfound soft tissue fitness a complete fluke as RF would have us believe?

Lance or James??

S.A Saint
Club Player

dare i say it, could this be the end of raph if jesse can get over his injuries and recapture that form....

Top4King
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:dare i say it, could this be the end of raph if jesse can get over his injuries and recapture that form....
good question.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:dare i say it, could this be the end of raph if jesse can get over his injuries and recapture that form....
what will be will be.

Hopefully JWS is fully fit and putting extreme pressure on the HBFers.

If this means he takes raphs position - bad luck Raph.

Just like Zac took Max's position.

No sentiment.

Lance or James??

S.A Saint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
what will be will be.

Hopefully JWS is fully fit and putting extreme pressure on the HBFers.

If this means he takes raphs position - bad luck Raph.

Just like Zac took Max's position.

No sentiment.
thats true...however i like raph as a player just not in the backline...i think that he would be quiet a handy playing across the forward line and around the wings....

Winmarvellous
Club Player

More to the point, does this free up BJ to play the utility role anywhere on the field we can exploit a weakness :D

TwoTowers
Club Player

Just looking at the record. Averaged 17 disposals and 3 rebound 50s in his only decent run in 2007. One of his last games, the semi-final win against the hawks he had 27 disposals, 6 marks, 3 inside 50s, 4 rebound 50s. Elite disposal efficiency of over 80% - similar for kicking and handball. Over to you David Misson.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I wonder how Jesse himself feels, given what he said after leaving North and given the state of our club's facilities. I'm sure he'll say all the right things tomorrow. You can't help but think it probably wasn't his preferred destination.

Hopefully we can get him on the field. He can certainly play when he's fit.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jesse Smith

doggerel wrote:to St Kilda for pick 60! Who saw that coming?!
Not me...

Matt Burgan just stated that the Hawks were definitely going to take him with pick 69.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I read that he has basically had to learn how to run all over again with a different technique because of his ankles, but as a result he keeps doing his hamstrings...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Great. An injured underplayed relatively old whinger.

I mean good luck to him and all, but, people, a spade is a spade.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'