Was Lovett targetted???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Was Lovett targetted???

Quote from RL

"...He certainly wasn't wandering the streets. Let's clear that up, it was reported he was wandering aimlessly. He was at a private party, the music was on, the police came and he was outside. He obviously stepped out of line and was put in the divvy van. He certainly wasn't wandering aimlessly as a hopeless drunk down the street...."

Obviously stepped out of line.

Hmmmmmm.

More to this than him being pissed in the street.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

As i have said in another post. The only simple/logic is that he mouths off and gets a bit narky when he sees the boys in blue. Only reason they would bother to arrest him?

Unless its a race thing? If it was wed have heard about it for sure.

So im tipping the first explanation is the right one. Cops come. Quieten down people. Usual drill. And then Lovey must ark up get a bit sweary!. Only rational explanation i reckon...

fingers
Saintsational Legend

GT's gone. Move on.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:As i have said in another post. The only simple/logic is that he mouths off and gets a bit narky when he sees the boys in blue. Only reason they would bother to arrest him?

So im tipping the first explanation is the right one. Cops come. Quieten down people. Usual drill. And then Lovey must ark up get a bit sweary!. Only rational explanation i reckon...
Probably correct.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne

Con Gorozidis wrote:As i have said in another post. The only simple/logic is that he mouths off and gets a bit narky when he sees the boys in blue. Only reason they would bother to arrest him?

Drunk black man in St Kilda?

Never news when they are arrested.

Might as well been walking around with a huge electro-magnet. Always attracts the badges.

Would have been bonus points to collar an AFL player.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...

I'm not making any accusation at all, who knows what happened here (it's likely the whole thing was a big non-event drunk being a smart @rse to a cop)... but let's not pretend certain people aren't ever unfairly prejudged sometimes because of how they appear.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...

I'm not making any accusation at all, who knows what happened here (it's likely the whole thing was a big non-event drunk being a smart @rse to a cop)... but let's not pretend certain people aren't ever unfairly prejudged sometimes because of how they appear.
So how does Lovett getting locked up for being drunk remind you of this? - bearing in mind you're not making any accustations.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
markp wrote:I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...

So how does Lovett getting locked up for being drunk remind you of this? - bearing in mind you're not making any accustations.
Read the last sentence and work it out Einstein.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...
I was a Detective at St.Kilda for 4 years. Dont ever remember indigenous people coming under notice in Fitzroy Street or anywhere else in St.Kilda.
I was a Sergeant at Fitzroy shortly after. They did there.
I think the quoted paragraph was probably a media beat up at the time.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Moods wrote:

I did read the last sentence - still not sure how it relates to the first paragraph though Einstein. Why don't you just say what you think? If it reminds you of Yothu Yindi then yes, you must think there was some degree of racism on the part of the coppers, or that Lovett was locked up due to the way he 'appears.' Just b/c your last paragraph attempts to cover the bases so as not to be accused of playing the race card, doesn't really change anything.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was Lovett targetted???

"He obviously stepped out of line and was put in the divvy van. He certainly wasn't wandering aimlessly as a hopeless drunk down the street"
so he's a troublesome drunk rather than a hopeless drunk. :)

well, we've all had our moments. i'm sure he'll either pull his head in or not make it.

there doesn't seem to be a middle ground with our current leadership.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was Lovett targetted???

joffaboy wrote:Quote from RL

"...He certainly wasn't wandering the streets. Let's clear that up, it was reported he was wandering aimlessly. He was at a private party, the music was on, the police came and he was outside. He obviously stepped out of line and was put in the divvy van. He certainly wasn't wandering aimlessly as a hopeless drunk down the street...."

Obviously stepped out of line.

Hmmmmmm.

More to this than him being pissed in the street.
Gotta admit.

This DOES sould one hell of a lot better than the "wandering aimlessly" line.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote: I think the quoted paragraph was probably a media beat up at the time.
It certainly was a beat up by the media at the time, but it did happen.

The guy it happened to was more than accepting of the managers apology.

Lance or James??

markp
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
markp wrote:
Moods wrote:

I did read the last sentence - still not sure how it relates to the first paragraph though Einstein. Why don't you just say what you think? If it reminds you of Yothu Yindi then yes, you must think there was some degree of racism on the part of the coppers, or that Lovett was locked up due to the way he 'appears.' Just b/c your last paragraph attempts to cover the bases so as not to be accused of playing the race card, doesn't really change anything.
I said exactly what I meant, I made a simple and bleeding obvious observation... but just for you I'll make it simpler; It's likely not a case of racism here, but let's not pretend racism never happens.... so put your little pitchfork away peanut, before you poke your eye out.

St Michele
Club Player

It is a well know statistic that indigenous Australinas are more likely to be arrested for things that non Indigenous Australians are not. I know in WA the difference is 1 non in 45 indigenous so that may explain some of the problem on that night. Sometimes also when people have a few drinks and the police arrive they see themselves as a peacemaker trying to calm the situation and then get themselves in to more trouble.

I don't know what happened that night ( I don't think anyone does unless they were there) but as a one off incident I don't think we need to worry.
Just my 2 cents worth :lol:

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

if it had of been more serious

charges may have included

insulting language
resist arrest
etc

saint4life
Moods
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Moods wrote:
markp wrote:
Moods wrote:

I said exactly what I meant, I made a simple and bleeding obvious observation... but just for you I'll make it simpler; It's likely not a case of racism here, but let's not pretend racism never happens.... so put your little pitchfork away peanut, before you poke your eye out.
We could debate this all night. I think i made my point and you have made yours.

Suffice to say that Lyon's comments have made me very curious as to what really happened. Either way it doesn't really matter now - imo the coppers, w/o realising it or intending to, have quite likely done Lovett and the saints a big favour. Hopefully Lovett will be bursting at the seams to be impressing his new club, win back their respect, and showing that this will never happen again. If he had been flying through pre-season without incident he may have been tempted to revert back to his old ways closer to the season starting after getting into a comfort zone. Not likely to happen now.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone bothered to ask as to whether the arresting officers are Essendon supporters?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

"wandering aimlessly" Been doing that my whole life.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:"wandering aimlessly" Been doing that my whole life.
Guitar solos? :lol:

Let's not jump to any conclusions here. Whatever reason AL came to the attention of Police, alcohol was the major factor. I would suggest that speculation as to the motivation of the Police is perhaps clutching at straws.

If it happens again he might want to have a bloody good excuse and/or a new career.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ace
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:if it had of been more serious

charges may have included

insulting language
resist arrest
etc
In the USA the charges could have included:
not submitting to a tasering,
not standing still whilst being shot at, and
attempting to vote whilst black.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am reminded of the time the lead singer of Yothu Yindi was refused service at the Felix bar on Fitzroy st, St Kilda (which is directly opposite a park where aborigines used to congregate and drink heavily at the time)...
I was a Detective at St.Kilda for 4 years. Dont ever remember indigenous people coming under notice in Fitzroy Street or anywhere else in St.Kilda.
I was a Sergeant at Fitzroy shortly after. They did there.
I think the quoted paragraph was probably a media beat up at the time.
Ever heard of the Catani Gardens?

If you spent 4 years in St Kilda CI and never saw or heard of any brothers drinking at Catani Gardens, you were bludging on my taxes.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:GT's gone. Move on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

So.....who reckons if, let's say, Jason Gram was in the exact same situation and did exactly the same thing, he'd be arrested aswell?

Hell no....

Lovett was arrested because he was aboriginal, plain and simple.

In no way am I blaming the cops, it's just the was society is.....

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, when does the season start again?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:So.....who reckons if, let's say, Jason Gram was in the exact same situation and did exactly the same thing, he'd be arrested aswell?

Hell no....

Lovett was arrested because he was aboriginal, plain and simple.

In no way am I blaming the cops, it's just the was society is.....

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, when does the season start again?
That is absolute crap. Are only black people arrested for being drunk. I dont think so. So Lovett hits his girlfriend. Was he only charged because he is black. Lets not make that sort of an excuse.