Herald Sun's AFL team of the decade. One Saint ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun's AFL team of the decade. One Saint ...

... Riewoldt.

Do you think any Saints were stiff to miss out. Harvey? Hayes?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5797767560
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 15 Nov 2009 10:29am, edited 2 times in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig??? 2 Colemans

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Heard Mcfarlane on radio last night and he said Lenny was Really really really close.

apparently he is blogging to day-
Lenny Hayes was stiff, as was one of my all-time favourites, Robert Harvey.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

Hird, Brown, Riewoldt, Goodes, and Lloyd all in the same forward line.

Talk about forward pressure, give them a contest the ball comes to ground and REBOUND.
100 inside 50's would not win with those selections.

Has the HUN watched a game of football in the last decade or was this like the AA team a team picked to avoid offending.

Johnathan Brown OR James Hird OR Nick Riewoldt at centre half forward now choose you gutless HUN then pick 2 forward flankers.

Nathan Buckley OR, Michael Voss OR Simon Black in the centre now choose you gutless HUN then pick 2 wingers.

But then the HUN can't on merit, they put Matthew Lloyd ahead of Fraser Gehrig and Brendan Fevola, because Lloyd is an Essendon hero whilst is Gehrig was a St Kilda villian and Fevola a Carlton imbecile.

The defence of the decade - the best in over 40 years is rewarded with 3 players in the back 6? NO ZERO.

Ricciuto on a half blank flank you have got to be kidding - he won his Brownlow in the midfield.

Can't choose your interchange bench HUN, need to include 7 so as not to leave any club out.

Thank goodness St Kilda is sponsored by "The Age".
We would not want the HUN selectors whispering in our club's ears.
Last edited by ace on Sun 15 Nov 2009 9:21am, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Hird, Brown, Riewoldt, Goodes, and Lloyd all in the same forward line.

Talk about forward pressure, give them a contest the ball comes to ground and REBOUND.

Has the HUN watched a game of football in the last decade or was this like the AA team a team picked to avoid offending.

Johnathan Brown OR James Hird OR Nick Riewoldt now choose you gutless HUN then pick 2 forward flankers.

But then the HUN can't on merit, they put Matthew Lloyd ahead of Fraser Gehrig, because Lloyd is an Essendon hero and Gehrig a St Kilda villian.

The defence of the decade - the best in over 40 years is rewarded with 3 players in the back 6? NO ZERO.

Ricciuto on a half blank flank yo have got to be kidding - he won his Brownlow in the midfield.
So who should have been in the back 6 from our side then? Also i think Hird proves enough pressure in the forward line or would you rather one of those 3 miss out.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:Hird, Brown, Riewoldt, Goodes, and Lloyd all in the same forward line.

Johnathan Brown OR James Hird OR Nick Riewoldt now choose you gutless HUN then pick 2 forward flankers.

But then the HUN can't on merit, they put Matthew Lloyd ahead of Fraser Gehrig, because Lloyd is an Essendon hero and Gehrig a St Kilda villian.

Ricciuto on a half blank flank yo have got to be kidding - he won his Brownlow in the midfield.
So who should have been in the back 6 from our side then? Also i think Hird proves enough pressure in the forward line or would you rather one of those 3 miss out.
2 of those 3 miss out.
There is only room for 1 centre half forward in a football TEAM.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:2 of those 3 miss out. There is only room for 1 centre half forward in a football TEAM.
if those three superstars at their peak were available to our selectors we'd find a way to get them all in. structure is important, but it is more important to field your best talent.

picking these teams is an exercise in futility as in your attempts to please everyone, you end up pleasing no-one.

i would have found a spot for harvey, though i take mcfarlane's point that his best years were during the 1990s

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

2 of those 3 miss out.
There is only room for 1 centre half forward in a football TEAM.
Then why would Hird miss out. Doubt he has really ever played as a proper CHF. Maybe you should stick to bagging the AFL.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

pretty decent team - i'd like harvey or hayes in but in place of who?
harvey's unlucky in that his best 10 years fell over two decades.

lot of unlucky players - for gawd's sake ben cousins only made the bench.

so who should be in ace?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Hard to be critical of that team.

11 Brownlow Medalists in the team.

Port Adelaide would feel pretty stiff with only one player after playing in 2 GF's and winning one.

My only choice would be Robert Harvey ahead of Brent Harvey. Don't think Pavlich deserved his spot.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Robert Harvey ahead of Brent Harvey.
yep, he has the wrong harvey in.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

In my completely biased opinion - rooey has been the best CHF this decade bar none, and it's backed up by stats that no ther power fwd can match. 5 B&F's with a club who played finals 5 times making top 4 all better 3 times. An MVP and 4 AA's.

Obviously it helps if your team plays in 4 GF's and wins 3, and Brown is obviously a great footballer/leader. However I reckon ppl get seduced by this 'down to earth country boy who is as hard as nails' image he has. Traditionally we as a footy public always tend to rate the 'tough' player higher, particulary one that played 3 flags.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Hard to be critical of that team.

Port Adelaide would feel pretty stiff with only one player after playing in 2 GF's and winning one.

My only choice would be Robert Harvey ahead of Brent Harvey. Don't think Pavlich deserved his spot.
Like the article articulates, Pavlich is so underrated by Victorians, its not funny.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Like the article articulates, Pavlich is so underrated by Victorians, its not funny.
I just don't think he should be in the team of the decade when Fevola, Gehrig, Bradshaw and others miss out.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I just don't think he should be in the team of the decade when Fevola, Gehrig, Bradshaw and others miss out.
Better than all of them - Notwithstanding more of a CHF than a true FF like Fevola.

5 AA, 4 B&Fs off the top of my head. Captain. An entire career of dominance, rather than a few special seasons like the mentioned above.

Miles, miles ahead.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig? Blokes who are superstars usually don't have cult followings.

Gehrig was dynamic in 04/05 and was fast, strong with great hands. He certainly wasn't courageous in terms of putting his body in dangerous positions though. In fact in the first half of the year when Kosi was on fire I thought it was a relief to finally have A ff WHO CAN SMASH PACKS AND BRING THE BALL TO THE GROUND.

Don't get me wrong I loved big Frase for what he was, but he was never going to make that list. The decade runs for 10 years - not 3-4. To be honest Fev nearly lays more claims than Lloyd though.

As a side note I notice that Robbo has just done a list of the decades 10 best players - and has Lloyd at 10 - before Riewoldt!! Now that's a disgrace.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Better than all of them - Notwithstanding more of a CHF than a true FF like Fevola.

5 AA, 4 B&Fs off the top of my head. Captain. An entire career of dominance, rather than a few special seasons like the mentioned above.

Miles, miles ahead.
But isn't the CHF Nick Riewoldt?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Pavlich is in a different class to those players.

He is to Fremantle what Nathan Buckley was to Collingwood - magnificent player in a rubbish team, with fleeting moments of collective glory. It's not his fault the Dockers have failed.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Pavlich is in a different class to those players.

He is to Fremantle what Nathan Buckley was to Collingwood - magnificent player in a rubbish team, with fleeting moments of collective glory. It's not his fault the Dockers have failed.
Sorry, I think he is hugely overrated.

awesome_days
Club Player

Herald Sun Team:

B: C Johnson, M Scarlett, D Fletcher
HB: A McLeod, J Leppitsch, M Riccuito
C: N Buckley, M Voss, S Black
HF: J Hird, J Brown, N Riewoldt
F: A Goodes, M Lloyd, J Ackermanis
Foll: D Cox, C Judd, G Ablett
Int: B Cousins, M Richardson, B Johnson, S Crawford, W Tredrea, B Harvey, M Pavlich

My team - trying to add more positional balance
B: S Baker, M Scarlett, D Fletcher
HB: A McLeod, J Leppitsch, G Archer
C: N Buckley, M Voss, R Harvey
HF: J Hird, N Riewoldt, B Cousins
F: M Riccuito, J Brown, J Akermanis

Int: A Goodes, M Pavlich, S Black, B Kirk

rymax
Club Player

How can anyone argue with Lloyd at full forward? As much as everyone outside of Essendon supporters disliked him, he kicked nearly 700 goals for the decade, including cracking the ton twice and reaching the 90s a further two times.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote:Herald Sun Team:

B: C Johnson, M Scarlett, D Fletcher
HB: A McLeod, J Leppitsch, M Riccuito
C: N Buckley, M Voss, S Black
HF: J Hird, J Brown, N Riewoldt
F: A Goodes, M Lloyd, J Ackermanis
Int: B Cousins, M Richardson, B Johnson, S Crawford, W Tredrea, B Harvey, M Pavlich

My team - trying to add more positional balance
B: S Baker, M Scarlett, D Fletcher
HB: A McLeod, J Leppitsch, G Archer
C: N Buckley, M Voss, R Harvey
HF: J Hird, N Riewoldt, B Cousins
F: M Riccuito, J Brown, J Akermanis

Int: A Goodes, M Pavlich, S Black, B Kirk
You completely lost all credibility with your first selection.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

rymax wrote:How can anyone argue with Lloyd at full forward? As much as everyone outside of Essendon supporters disliked him, he kicked nearly 700 goals for the decade, including cracking the ton twice and reaching the 90s a further two times.
And in the last 5 years of the decade he didn't kick over 60 goals - some years kicking under 40 goals. Not saying he shouldn't be there, but it's certainly up for debate. The decade goes for 10 years, not 5.

I certainly don't rank him in the top 10 best players of the decade.