(No) 2009 Season Highlights DVD (...but?)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thequarry
Club Player

(No) 2009 Season Highlights DVD (...but?)

According to Sports Delivered, they will not be producing a Season Highlights DVD for this year, but I've been told that their management might be reviewing the decision this week on the back of a number of people contacting them asking if/when it would be released.

So for anyone who's after something half-decent to remember an amazing season by - one that arguably gave us the football the club has produced - get into touch with them and hopefully (for those who do) they can be swayed.

http://sportsdelivered.com/help.php?sec ... ode=update

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: (No) 2009 Season Highlights DVD (...but?)

thequarry wrote:According to Sports Delivered, they will not be producing a Season Highlights DVD for this year, but I've been told that their management might be reviewing the decision this week on the back of a number of people contacting them asking if/when it would be released.

So for anyone who's after something half-decent to remember an amazing season by - one that arguably gave us the football the club has produced - get into touch with them and hopefully (for those who do) they can be swayed.

Just my opinion, but I think it's a good idea NOT to be produced.

Yes, the Club had one in the past, but really a season highlights package should be produced for the premiership side.

The 2004 "winning streak" package when the Club won 10 game in a row would have been a laughing stock from opposition fans ...

The Club celebrating 10 wins in a row and have nothing to show for it...

One thinks that the Club has matured and they have not produced one this year because we have unfinished business.

Tell me, Did Geelong produce a "seasons highlights package" when they lost to the Hawks in 2008???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints Central Message Board » Michael's Mailbox
http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... sts&t=2669

SydneySainter

Hi Michael,

Will Visual Entertainment Group be releasing a 2009 St. Kilda Highlights DVD? Considering just how good this season was for the Saints, it would be a crime if they didn't.

Cheers,

Donovan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael_Nettlefold Posted: Friday, 6 November 2009 3:17:36 PM

Hi Donovan,

I don’t believe Visual Entertainment Group will be producing anything, but there is something currently in the pipeline, so stay tuned!

Go Saints!
Michael

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

it was a good year, but came to a very sad ending.
i dont know about you guys but for some reason this year i just cant watch replays of the games, when i do it just doesnt feel right knowing we played so well but got no reward.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
thequarry
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
thequarry wrote:According to Sports Delivered, they will not be producing a Season Highlights DVD for this year, but I've been told that their management might be reviewing the decision this week on the back of a number of people contacting them asking if/when it would be released.

Yes, the Club had one in the past, but really a season highlights package should be produced for the premiership side.

The 2004 "winning streak" package when the Club won 10 game in a row would have been a laughing stock from opposition fans ...

One thinks that the Club has matured and they have not produced one this year because we have unfinished business.

Tell me, Did Geelong produce a "seasons highlights package" when they lost to the Hawks in 2008???
I agree with the 2004 Streak DVD. That was particularly embarrassing.

Sports Delivered actually make the decision as to release the DVDs - Geelong actually did have a DVD last year, Sydney did in 2006, Collingwood in 2002 and 2003, Essendon in 2001, Melbourne in 2000.....

I think it was an amazing season and it would be nice to have something to remember it by.

And saintbrat, excuse my cynicism, but I'm assuming that a club-produced DVD (which at the moment is being released only as part of the "early bird" membership package) will be a similar hodgepodge of highlights found in the 2007 highlights DVD the club produced for the same reason. But I hope not!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Agree totally St Dooley, thats the same reason I have never watched the Adelaide finals win in 05.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Agree totally St Dooley, thats the same reason I have never watched the Adelaide finals win in 05.
even this video that should be funny actually makes me sad :cry:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
thequarry
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Agree totally St Dooley, thats the same reason I have never watched the Adelaide finals win in 05.
I bought that game on DVD during early 2008...I thought the team had blown their opportunity and that game would prove be their peak :?

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:

I agree with this post. We shouldn't be celebrating coming second. The simple fact is we lost, we came second, it has to burn so bad and hurt so much that we will do anything to win it next year. I can't watch the grand final and i don't think i could watch any of the highlights from any of the other matches throughout the season. Maybe it is just me, but i can't understand why anyone would want a dvd made of this year? Surely we are passed all of these "almost" dvds that come out every year? Maybe that is why we never actually ever win the flag because people are prepared to accept everything accept the ultimate prize? I know we had a great season and i am proud of the players and they couldn't have tried any harder but it still really hurts and to make it worse i bought half a dozen beers and they just happened to be the bloody geelong premiership ones! I can't take a trick! I just want next year to roll around and that can be our year of redemption! Then I will be the first one in line to buy a "premiership" dvd.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thequarry wrote: And saintbrat, excuse my cynicism, but I'm assuming that a club-produced DVD (which at the moment is being released only as part of the "early bird" membership package) will be a similar hodgepodge of highlights found in the 2007 highlights DVD the club produced for the same reason. But I hope not!
hadn't heard it was going to be part of membership thequarry, ?

and possibly agree a longer version would be good- there are many records and highlights of the year

:( right up to that last 10 min- and just like a 3 min earthquake I guess - those few minutes really are colouring our emotions and thinking..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thequarry
Club Player

I only received an email from the club today (in reply to an email I sent about this subject) and was told that it will be - but I haven't seen the club actually post anything about it on the official site or anything yet (I think they're still putting together the membership packages?)

Also I assume it's what Michael Nettlefold has been alluding to on the SaintsCentral message board.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:

Yes, they did produce a Geelong season highlights package for 2008, as they did for the Bulldogs and the Saints.

It's the Visual Entertainment Group who decide what AFL home videos are produced, as they hold the rights.

I don't believe it would be a bad thing to have at least a simple review of the 2009 season, because as disappointing as this season ultimately was at the tail end, it will be one that I remember for the rest of my days. I went to a lot of games, saw some of the best footy that I've ever seen, was part of a terrific ride and went to my first grand final. Doesn't have to be loaded with that self-indulgent, "we're going places" vibe like that 'Red, White and Black' book released in 04, as that was even more humiliating than the 04 winning streak box set. But, at least a standard season review wouldn't be a bad thing.

Bad management is bad management
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Yes, they did produce a Geelong season highlights package for 2008, as they did for the Bulldogs and the Saints.

It's the Visual Entertainment Group who decide what AFL home videos are produced, as they hold the rights.

I don't believe it would be a bad thing to have at least a simple review of the 2009 season, because as disappointing as this season ultimately was at the tail end, it will be one that I remember for the rest of my days. I went to a lot of games, saw some of the best footy that I've ever seen, was part of a terrific ride and went to my first grand final. Doesn't have to be loaded with that self-indulgent, "we're going places" vibe like that 'Red, White and Black' book released in 04, as that was even more humiliating than the 04 winning streak box set. But, at least a standard season review wouldn't be a bad thing.
As I understand Visual Entertainment will not be producing the product, which I think is a good thing, as we still have unfinished business...

Maybe it will be part the Clubs membership package for next year, for a simple review of the 2009m season, so it will be a members only package, instead of the off the shelf version.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

As a very very famous sportsman/actor once said "if you ain't first, you're last".
No DVD for me thanks.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
karnak
Club Player

I understand the points made above, however; the more money the club makes the more we can improve.

I think any opportunity (ethical) that the club can use to increase revenue should be undertaken.

This will help our club to continue to grow.

This season was a successful season. We didn't win the ultimate prize, however; we've continued on a foundation.

We should turn a profit even though we've increased our football department spending signficantly. Next year we should be looking at 35 to 38k members all on the back of the success that we had this year.

All of these things then assist in us being able to have another crack at the big one next year.

Carn Sainters!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Nah...no highlights package for me. I have some great memories of the 2009 season, but I dont think the Club should be seen to be celebrating it enough to be flogging DVDs

Can you imagine the prospective titles from the 2-bob comedians on BF etc??

We just finished Top 4 for the 4th time in 6 years and we dont have a flag to show for it....sorry but I reckon we can put the celebratory vids on hold til we have some silverware

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
thequarry
Club Player

I feel like I've stepped in my own cake (I'm aware that's not a saying).

It's not so much a "celebratory" DVD...
Apart from 2005 (hence why we didn't get one that year), Sports Delivered/Visual Entertainment Group have produced at least four DVDs for teams every year...The thinking behind having one for this year for me at least is that it would be nice to have something to remember it by - of course we'll all have a sour taste in our mouth whenever we think of this season. But it would be nice. I'd like to look back on the times during the year that gave us a real sense of hope not only for this season, but also that it might be a turning point in the club's history. Either way, it's a season every St Kilda supporter will remember.

That's my reasoning for wanting one...I didn't realise people would feel so strongly for the other way!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

thequarry wrote:I feel like I've stepped in my own cake (I'm aware that's not a saying).

It's not so much a "celebratory" DVD...
Apart from 2005 (hence why we didn't get one that year), Sports Delivered/Visual Entertainment Group have produced at least four DVDs for teams every year...The thinking behind having one for this year for me at least is that it would be nice to have something to remember it by - of course we'll all have a sour taste in our mouth whenever we think of this season. But it would be nice. I'd like to look back on the times during the year that gave us a real sense of hope not only for this season, but also that it might be a turning point in the club's history. Either way, it's a season every St Kilda supporter will remember.

That's my reasoning for wanting one...I didn't realise people would feel so strongly for the other way!
I'm with you, I don't think a 2009 season in review DVD would be a bad thing. One of the greatest seasons of long history, it deserve at least a standard presentation, like the 2008 highlights DVD. It was nothing fancy, no 'kissing our own arse' comments from the club, just simple highlights from each match, produced by an external party.

Anyway, I contacted Sports Delivered yesterday and they said they will not be producing one but believe the club will doing one. It will probably be like that 2007 season highlights DVD we got with our 2008 membership. I actually think it's better for a season highlights compilation done by an external party.

Bad management is bad management
Schillaci
Club Player

CeilidhSaint wrote:As a very very famous sportsman/actor once said "if you ain't first, you're last".
No DVD for me thanks.
Ricky Bobby's dad..."Talladega Nights"....I believe.

thequarry
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I'm with you, I don't think a 2009 season in review DVD would be a bad thing. One of the greatest seasons of long history, it deserve at least a standard presentation, like the 2008 highlights DVD. It was nothing fancy, no 'kissing our own arse' comments from the club, just simple highlights from each match, produced by an external party.

Anyway, I contacted Sports Delivered yesterday and they said they will not be producing one but believe the club will doing one. It will probably be like that 2007 season highlights DVD we got with our 2008 membership. I actually think it's better for a season highlights compilation done by an external party.
Wholeheartedly agree.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Id rather watch a Britney Spears "concert" than watch anything resembling our 2009 season! Its over and done with, time to move on. In fact, Id never been interested in the slightest in a retrospective look at any season.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Id rather watch a Britney Spears "concert" than watch anything resembling our 2009 season! Its over and done with, time to move on. In fact, Id never been interested in the slightest in a retrospective look at any season.
especially when you know it all turned to shite at the end....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.