Our "FRIEND" Paul Connors !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Our "FRIEND" Paul Connors !!

Our friendly neighbourhood "PAWN BROKER" is at it again. Trying to PAWN Mc Phee off to Freo;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 5794444701

Does this PAWN BROKER, or LEECH, or whatever you choose to call him have anyone in his stable who he hasn't, or isnt about to HAWK around the entire AFL? I wonder if he demands loyalty from his clients? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

yipper
SS Life Member

What is the sign of a good manager??

1. Hawking players around from club to club - desperate searching for a deal.
2. Going on holiday - during the period where clubs are trimming lists and players are out of contract.
3. Setting up "deals" then failing to complete them or get them thru.
4. Leaving a player stranded - without a contract, without a home.
5. Knocking back good contracts where security is offered on the basis that someone else might offer better later on .

These are the traits of a good, accomplished manager?? A manager who cares about the fabric of the competition and his players welfare?? A manager who is dilligent and careful about how he goes about it?? A manager who loses the confidence and trust of clubs who are employing his players??

Warning young kids nominating for the draft - choose your manager carefully!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree. He certainly seems like a total flog of a bloke. I think this is an important thread to keep up - because if Ball does stay - Saints fans should direct their vitriole at Connors - not at Luke. Lets give Luke the benefit of the doubt and assume Connors is giving him bad advice. And from the evidence it seems Connors is an expert in bad advice and that clubs simply wont deal with him.

Flog.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree. He certainly seems like a total flog of a bloke. I think this is an important thread to keep up - because if Ball does stay - Saints fans should direct their vitriole at Connors - not at Luke. Lets give Luke the benefit of the doubt and assume Connors is giving him bad advice. And from the evidence it seems Connors is an expert in bad advice and that clubs simply wont deal with him.

Flog.
Why?
Luke Ball has allowed the following word to be used when referring to his position at St Kilda - 'untenable'

I would find it difficult to believe that the word was used, and allowed to just lay there without any retraction, without approval from Ball.

And that's without getting into any of the other 'bizarre' comments coming from the Ball 'camp' over the length of this saga.

Yes I think that Paul Connors is acting like a 'leech'.
But I don't absolve his clients who allow him to act on their behalf of any blame for the situations they get into.

Afterall, we keep hearing what an 'intelligent young man' Luke Ball is.

Surely all players, especially an 'intelligent' one, would have some understanding of the ramifications of the 'negotiating games' their managers are playing on their behalf?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree. He certainly seems like a total flog of a bloke. I think this is an important thread to keep up - because if Ball does stay - Saints fans should direct their vitriole at Connors - not at Luke. Lets give Luke the benefit of the doubt and assume Connors is giving him bad advice. And from the evidence it seems Connors is an expert in bad advice and that clubs simply wont deal with him.

Flog.
Why?
Luke Ball has allowed the following word to be used when referring to his position at St Kilda - 'untenable'

I would find it difficult to believe that the word was used, and allowed to just lay there without any retraction, without approval from Ball.

And that's without getting into any of the other 'bizarre' comments coming from the Ball 'camp' over the length of this saga.

Yes I think that Paul Connors is acting like a 'leech'.
But I don't absolve his clients who allow him to act on their behalf of any blame for the situations they get into.

Afterall, we keep hearing what an 'intelligent young man' Luke Ball is.

Surely all players, especially an 'intelligent' one, would have some understanding of the ramifications of the 'negotiating games' their managers are playing on their behalf?

Correct.

Its Luke Ball that doesn't want to be there.....Not his manager.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Paul Connors eats worms :wink:

ace
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Paul Connors eats worms :wink:
So he is a cannibal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im just saying that luke is still a young man and probably not as smart as he or the footy spun media like to make out. he like most people (especially younger guys) is still vulnerable to a smart talking silver tongue who tells u how great you are.... how about we say 50/50 blame? ill settle for that :-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A good footy manager is one who does whats best for his clients. Is Paul Connors good, I have no idea but just because a couple of his players havent signed as yet doesnt mean he isnt. Are players leaving him in droves. I dont think so. Are 95% of his players signed for next year. I would think so.

Do people think he should work for the club and not the player.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:im just saying that luke is still a young man and probably not as smart as he or the footy spun media like to make out. he like most people (especially younger guys) is still vulnerable to a smart talking silver tongue who tells u how great you are.... how about we say 50/50 blame? ill settle for that :-)
No it might be 99% Connors' fault.
I'm just saying it cannot be 100% Connors' fault, that's all.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A good footy manager is one who does whats best for his clients. Is Paul Connors good, I have no idea but just because a couple of his players havent signed as yet doesnt mean he isnt. Are players leaving him in droves. I dont think so. Are 95% of his players signed for next year. I would think so.

Plugger, is it true that you also do PR work for the Devil?

If so are you secretly a Demons supporter and want Luke Ball to end up there?

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A good footy manager is one who does whats best for his clients. Is Paul Connors good, I have no idea but just because a couple of his players havent signed as yet doesnt mean he isnt. Are players leaving him in droves. I dont think so. Are 95% of his players signed for next year. I would think so.

Is it true that you think the AFL is the worst run comp in Australia and has fluked being as big and as well run as it is.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Well for a dud footy manager he certainly has a stable of stars most managers would be envious of. Seems like every second player is managed by him.

I heard a player manager talking the other day. Reckons the skill is to take all the heat for the player. Basically try and tidy things up and be the bad guy if need be so that the player himself doesn't look as bad - certainly plays that role well. Bottom line is - Who knows? Bit like a solictor/barrister. People may say they're scum, liars etc etc, but they are merely mouth pieces for their clients trying to get the best deal. If he has a full book of clients, he must be doing something right I guess.

sainter35
Club Player

I have to agree with Mr Magic and Spinner.

It's all well and good to make Paul Connors the target of our anger but it was Luke and Luke alone who made the final decision to leave our football club. Obviously he would have consulted with his family and friends as well as his manager before making his mind up but Luke made the decision. And as disappointed as that is to some of us it's a decision he's more than entitled to make.

If he does decide to re-sign at St Kilda I reckon most of us will welcome him back with open arms. I just think plenty of people on here are overlooking the fact that he's an intelligent person with a lot of family and friends around him. Paul Connors didn't make him leave St Kilda.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

Is it true that you think the AFL is the worst run comp in Australia and has fluked being as big and as well run as it is.
The AFL is the worst run nation wide professional Australian Rules Football administration in Australia.
I know of no other nation wide professional Australian Rules Football administrations that compare with it. :D :D :D

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually, wouldn't mine McPhee or welsh at St.Kilda, but very little chance of that, Paul Connors has probably put us off.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

How many players does he have in his stable?

You say you would think 95% of them are signed, so how many does he have?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Well if 3 havent that would make about 60. What would you think his numbers are?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Tried to do some research but couldnt find much info on him except for AFLPA info and some media snippets.

Would be interested to know how many players he took off Ricky Nixon and whether going on holiday in trade period was one of his selling points to those clients.

PJ
SS Life Member

Interestingly he's been discussed on talk back radio in Adelaide as someone that requires a pineapple enima because of his comments about Port Adelaide - talk about Mr.Popular.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
smilk
Club Player

Thought it might be worth mentioning Collingwood had a part to play in this saga as well... is it possible they led Ball/Connors down the garden path? I guess it's connor's job to make sure this doesn't happen. We'll never really know what was said but this is the timeline as i saw it...
  • Collingwood make ball an offer.
    Ball liked it and knocks back the saint's 3yr contract (offered mid season).
    Ball nominates Collingwood and Collingwood only in trade week.
    Jolly is put on the trade market (connors client).
    Collingwood trade picks 14 and 46 for jolly, and gamble the Ball deal.
    Collingwood try to play hard ball with the Saints and no trade is made.

Ball is left in limbo
    He and Connors go on holiday...

Saints express interest in keeping Ball.
    Dee's express interest in drafting Ball.

Ball returns from holiday and meets with the Saints.
    Declines to meet with the Dee's.
    Ball goes on holiday again...
To tell you the truth i just want this whole thing done with. Half of it is the media having nothing else AFL to write about. Many of them painted St Kilda in a bad light which was annoying. They are starting to change their tune though and Caroline Wilson's recent article i think hit the nail on the head.

In the end if we loose such a talent it will be a shame, but the team will do fine without him... what will really give me the sh!ts tho is another wave of luke ball articles about him at his new club. I could start to resent him on that fact alone.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Well if 3 havent that would make about 60. What would you think his numbers are?
You're the one quoting 95%.

He has 5 unsigned that I know of, and I'm sure there are more than that.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Who are the 5? Goose shouldnt even be counted as he is delisted. And I didnt realsie we couldnt have a stab at %. I hope you are always 100% accurate when you post.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Interestingly he's been discussed on talk back radio in Adelaide as someone that requires a pineapple enima because of his comments about Port Adelaide - talk about Mr.Popular.
Personally his comments about Port Adelaide make me see him in a far more positive light 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Who are the 5? Goose shouldnt even be counted as he is delisted. And I didnt realsie we couldnt have a stab at %. I hope you are always 100% accurate when you post.
Luke, McPhee, Welsh, Wojo....probably more