Playing at the Elite Level (ARMO)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Playing at the Elite Level (ARMO)

I have just had 5 days with Armo and have gotten a better understanding of what Elite footballers go through. I tried going for a run with Dave and thought I was at an OK fitness level. Crap if this is what they are like in the off season then I would hate to see the likes of some players like Lenny are in their Peak. Dave left me for dead.
Afl footballers are Elite. And by that I mean everyone,( Well Some ) think that it is a matter of going out and playing football, getting paid heaps and having girls hanging off them. I can vouch that this is not the case. The information and physical requirements they endure and go through has opened my mind immensely. I have a greater respect and attitude towards ALL players( NOT JUST SAINTS) and the stresses and mental battles they go through. I am proud to say I know someone who plays AFL but also Proud that if what I have seen is an indication of how the Saint Kilda club look after and encourage their players then we are in for an extremely good ride next year 2010.
It is only Novemebr and I am having serious footy withdrawels. It was good to have a kick when he was here but you can't beat sitting down to watch a decent game with the Saints in the box seat. Can't wait to see how we go next year.
Last edited by DWOODROW on Tue 27 Oct 2009 11:37am, edited 2 times in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

is armo confident in getting senior games next year? Was he disapointed not to get more chances near the end of the year? What are th processes the club is going through in the off season to look after the boys?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
DWOODROW
Club Player

I'm not going to get into all that. Each player has their own thing to do but Dave is definitely looking forward to a big 2010 as are the supporters of the Sainters. Go Saints.

shmic_s
Club Player

sounds like you think dave is in a good state of mind and he knows what's required to become an consistant afl standard footballer. thanks for your post and i'll be hoping him and/or jack steven can take that step next year. bring on 2010.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Good luck to Armo, I like the boy. Hope he is next years good luck story. :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Think you are scared of Armo's fitness, consider then there are question marks over his fitness and ability to run out games.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

That was a good read.

I've always enjoyed watching him play. I hope he gets there next season :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
DWOODROW
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:Think you are scared of Armo's fitness, consider then there are question marks over his fitness and ability to run out games.
I agree Should be good this year .

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Playing at the Elite Level (ARMO)

DWOODROW wrote:I have just had 5 days with Armo and have gotten a better understanding of what Elite footballers go through. I tried going for a run with Dave and thought I was at an OK fitness level. Crap if this is what they are like in the off season then I would hate to see the likes of some players like Lenny are in their Peak. Dave left me for dead.
Afl footballers are Elite. And by that I mean everyone,( Well Some ) think that it is a matter of going out and playing football, getting paid heaps and having girls hanging off them. I can vouch that this is not the case. The information and physical requirements they endure and go through has opened my mind immensely. I have a greater respect and attitude towards ALL players( NOT JUST SAINTS) and the stresses and mental battles they go through. I am proud to say I know someone who plays AFL but also Proud that if what I have seen is an indication of how the Saint Kilda club look after and encourage their players then we are in for an extremely good ride next year 2010.
It is only Novemebr and I am having serious footy withdrawels. It was good to have a kick when he was here but you can't beat sitting down to watch a decent game with the Saints in the box seat. Can't wait to see how we go next year.
Great post. Hope to hear more about him as next season unfolds. I think he will rise to the occasion.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

2010 should be his year to shine......anyway...i hope so...always liked the boy......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The darkness
Club Player

I really do hope Armo takes the next step and that he gets the oppurtunities afforded to blokes like Eddy who from what i saw failed to deliver in all his games.
The bag of tricks that Armo has at his disposal ( goal kicking ability, vision to set others up for goal, hard nut attitude ) all seem to come naturally to him so if its fitness that is lacking then i do hope he can take a leaf out of the Lenny book of gut running and bring that side of his game up.
Would love to see him really get a chance to shine as continuity and game day game time will only boost his confidence and improve his football....Go Armo !

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Did you atleast ask him if he ever reads this site?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Good to see you had some quality time with your brother DWOODROW.

Hope all goes well for both of you next year.

Just quietly, it's still October.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
DWOODROW
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Good to see you had some quality time with your brother DWOODROW.

Hope all goes well for both of you next year.

Just quietly, it's still October.
Ah yes So it is. hahhah :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hope it works out for him, he should take this opportunity by the scruff of the neck and don't let anyone take it away from him....all the best for 2010 :D