What player type should we draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

What player type should we draft

With Lovett and Peake given us more spped and carry what type of player should we draft

1. the best player at left at# 32
2.Tall Defender
3. third forward

trevor barker
ThePunter
Club Player

Good ones

Beekay
SS Life Member

If there's a young Michael Voss floating about at our first pick of 107...

marksnsparks
Club Player

Medium sized forward who can kick the damn ball straight and whose arse doesn't yawn in front of goal on GF day!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Without doubt - a key position forward must be top of the list. Jarryd Allen's unfortunate retirement has left a gaping hole in our list that needs to be plugged quickly. Sure, they aren't going to play senior footy this season, or the year after, but in 5 years time, they'll need to be the key player inside the 50.

Anyone thinking we're gonna draft a medium marking forward at Pick 32 who is going to be further developed than Lynch or Heyne is kidding themselves.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

best available footballer.

we've traded well to fill gaping holes in the list with established players, but with the draft imo we should look at guys who will be players ... regardless of type.

for a start, most are unlikely to make much of an impact in their first couple of seasons, by which time the landscape will have changed significantly anyway.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:best available footballer.

we've traded well to fill gaping holes in the list with established players, but with the draft imo we should look at guys who will be players ... regardless of type.

for a start, most are unlikely to make much of an impact in their first couple of seasons, by which time the landscape will have changed significantly anyway.
+1

xander
Club Player

Tall Forward definitely. We only have kosi & roo as tall forwards unless we start to groom a rookie like Gaertner. We need to start to develop 1 or 2 so that in 3-4 years when kosi & roo start to get older we have someone who can fill the gap.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:Tall Forward definitely. We only have kosi & roo as tall forwards unless we start to groom a rookie like Gaertner. We need to start to develop 1 or 2 so that in 3-4 years when kosi & roo start to get older we have someone who can fill the gap.
stanley? quick off the mark, good hands, good kick. just because he's tall doesn't mean he can play only ruck.

xander
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
xander wrote:Tall Forward definitely. We only have kosi & roo as tall forwards unless we start to groom a rookie like Gaertner. We need to start to develop 1 or 2 so that in 3-4 years when kosi & roo start to get older we have someone who can fill the gap.
stanley? quick off the mark, good hands, good kick. just because he's tall doesn't mean he can play only ruck.
That could work but then we'd need another Ruckmen. I don't think we should have him play both ruck & forward it seems to ruin players physically. Kosi has started to play well since playing exclusively forward.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

One that's gonna win us a grand final

Another opportunity awaits!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
That could work but then we'd need another Ruckmen. I don't think we should have him play both ruck & forward it seems to ruin players physically. Kosi has started to play well since playing exclusively forward.
True. Point is you can always trade for a mature-bodied ruckman as we did with King and Gardiner and as the Magpies did this season with Jolly. In fact we could have added Fraser to our list as a trade for Ball had we wanted to.

undecided
Club Player

Luke Ball.

Could we do that just to annoy him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

One who can play football, earn and accept the role Ross Lyon gives him for the team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Without doubt - a key position forward must be top of the list. Jarryd Allen's unfortunate retirement has left a gaping hole in our list that needs to be plugged quickly. Sure, they aren't going to play senior footy this season, or the year after, but in 5 years time, they'll need to be the key player inside the 50.
I like your thinking but you might be 12 months early. Not a real good year for KPP's this year. Let's hope there are some around when we get a pick next year !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

peter lockwood
Club Player

i would pick up best available with the first few and then take nathan brown with our last.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
xander wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
True. Point is you can always trade for a mature-bodied ruckman as we did with King and Gardiner and as the Magpies did this season with Jolly. In fact we could have added Fraser to our list as a trade for Ball had we wanted to.
Malthouse wasn't willing to trade Fraser to anyone.
Malthouse is petrified that any player he trades may play well for the team he trades them to.
This leaves him with only one choice, to offer up unviable players that everyone doesn't want.
Malthouse is incapable of trading to advantage Collingwood because he may be seen to have advantaged the other club as well.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
xander wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Exactly. I am seeing alot of similarites between young Stanley and Tippet from the crows. Both roughly 200cm. Both with a basketball background. Both with a great leap, mark and a solid set-shot kick. We COULD play Stanley in the ruck, or we could use him in the same way the crows use Tippett.

Personally, i like the latter.

Stanley could DOMINATE key defenders with his height the same way Tippett does.
What i'm not sure about though, is what Stanley is like when the ball hits the deck. One of Kurt's best features is he has to ability to win the ball at ground level, dispite his size. If Stanley could do the same, we could potentialy have an outright GUN on our hands.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
xander wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Exactly. I am seeing alot of similarites between young Stanley and Tippet from the crows. Both roughly 200cm. Both with a basketball background. Both with a great leap, mark and a solid set-shot kick. We COULD play Stanley in the ruck, or we could use him in the same way the crows use Tippett.

What i'm not sure about though, is what Stanley is like when the ball hits the deck. One of Kurt's best features is he has to ability to win the ball at ground level, dispite his size. If Stanley could do the same, we could potentialy have an outright GUN on our hands.
Stanley is nothing like Tippett in the way they play. At the moment his marking is no where near the standard of Tippett. He is a ruckman and couldnt play as a forward now or in the short term.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
xander wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Stanley is nothing like Tippett in the way they play. At the moment his marking is no where near the standard of Tippett. He is a ruckman and couldnt play as a forward now or in the short term.
well he couldn't play ruck now. bigger guys would break him in half like a match stick.

he shouldn't be pigeon-holed as ruck only, imo, as it lessens the opportunity to get games into a very good prospect.

xander
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
St Chris wrote:Without doubt - a key position forward must be top of the list. Jarryd Allen's unfortunate retirement has left a gaping hole in our list that needs to be plugged quickly. Sure, they aren't going to play senior footy this season, or the year after, but in 5 years time, they'll need to be the key player inside the 50.
I like your thinking but you might be 12 months early. Not a real good year for KPP's this year. Let's hope there are some around when we get a pick next year !!
Problem is next year our first pick will be around 24 if we finish top 4. Might as well start developing one now if there's a decent one available.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
bigcarl wrote:you can always trade for a mature-bodied ruckman as we did with King and Gardiner and as the Magpies did this season with Jolly. In fact we could have added Fraser to our list as a trade for Ball had we wanted to.
Malthouse wasn't willing to trade Fraser to anyone.
Malthouse is petrified that any player he trades may play well for the team he trades them to.
This leaves him with only one choice, to offer up unviable players that everyone doesn't want.
Malthouse is incapable of trading to advantage Collingwood because he may be seen to have advantaged the other club as well.
ah okay, i thought they had put fraser on the table. no great loss. we have enough ruck/forwards anyway.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Former All Australian, ex captain, played in GF, finals experience, top 10 tackler in the AFL....

Oh that's right we don't need him :wink:

milney044
Club Player

If Ball doesn't stick around i'd have liked another in-and-under midfielder. But i really don't know what to expect with our late pick. I just worry about Lenny doing it all on his own..any Daniel Rich's we can sneak in? :wink:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
PJ
SS Life Member

Good ones
No seriously good ones.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.